Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Not a big star treak fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Not a big star treak fan.

I see what you did there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had my weekly weigh in this morning.

Great work Eskie! Keep it up.

I had my weigh in yesterday morning for the end of week 4:
    Week 1: -2.9kg/6.4lbs
    Week 2: -0.7kg/1.5lbs
    Week 3: -2.1kg/4.6lbs
    Week 4: -1.1kg/2.43lbs

Cumulative loss: - 6.8kg/14.99lbs over four weeks.

Four weeks to go.

A stone down!! top work fella!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Cheers fella. I am struggling this week due to work, I didn't see the wee one awake for two days. Early mornings and late nights, I would love some comfort food. My bad shoulder is giving me pain this week, reminding me that I am old and broken

Cheers fella. I am struggling this week due to work, I didn't see the wee one awake for two days. Early mornings and late nights, I would love some comfort food. My bad shoulder is giving me pain this week, reminding me that I am old and broken

Ah, it'll pass. I know its tough but when you're seeing the results its a lot easier to keep motivated. If you do momentarily give in just remember to not beat yourself up over it, get back to eating healthily & exercising & mark it off as a treat well earned, just dont double down & eat everything in the house. Then its not worth it & the remorse is worse than the initial craving.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Cheers, I am quite focused on not breaking. In relation to seeing the results I am getting a few comments, and not just from the OH. We used to say at preseason:
    6 weeks weights and you feel the results
    8 weeks you see them,
    12 weeks others see them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’ve not been fully on plan but I’ve been better. Rewarded with 0.9kg off a quick sneak look at the scales this morning. Official weigh in this week is tomorrow and I wanted some motivation. Yesterday was completely on plan and fully tracked. Aiming for day 2. I know that makes me sound mental but I honestly haven’t managed more than a day without rebounding badly in six months.

I’m working on sleep as a priority. If I haven’t slept then I eat more. I know the connection is there I just need to get myself to bed earlier and try and get off. Steroids for asthma at the moment aren’t helping that but I’m still doing ok and im stepping off them now so that will improve things

I’ve also started tackling my headspace which is pretty poor right now. Got myself a journal and I’m using the longwalks app with a group of friends who are also trying for a more positive mindset.

Here’s hoping I’m still here in a weeks time and still here by Christmas in a better space

Great work mirror. Headspace the toughest but as we all know the most important. Use here as an alternate journal and we will keep you company.

Jude that's brilliant!! That's pretty much what my dog weighs :D

I'm all set now for the last day of the programme I was doing. I just finished my coffee, and am trying to get myself motivated and finish my bottle of water.

I had a sneak peek at the scales this morning too, and I'm happy to say I managed to maintain! I was very bad over the few days I was off :o but I'm back on the wagon again.

That's not mental at all mirror, take it day by day :)

Weekly weigh in, I cannot get to my goal of 12k steps a day, I am getting over it on a weekly average buy doing a 5km run and a 10km run on rest days. I am up at 5 and home at 7, get to see the wee one, eat and bed.

I was 0.4kg lighter yesterday than my weigh in which would have made my loss this week 0.9kg but I had to eat out with a client last night. I had small amounts of chicken, no veg or carbs, and diet coke but it seemed to knock my rhythm.

End of week 5:
    Week 5: -0.5kg/1.1lbs

Cumulative loss: - 7.3kg/16.09lbs over four weeks.

Hope everyone one else is on track. Hows your hip DVB?

• Advertisement

Good man Jude, still trending in the right direction. Keep at it.

Was just thinking when I logged in this morning this thread had gone very quiet so was hoping people hadn't fallen off the wagon as such. Very easy to do at the minute with so much going on and so much negative news out there.

I've managed to stick to my plan of diet at about 90% during the week and then a few more treats at the weekends. Back into the weights a bit more and enjoying it so going to try and stick to what I'm currently doing till the end of the month and then reassess.

Weekly weigh in, I cannot get to my goal of 12k steps a day, I am getting over it on a weekly average buy doing a 5km run and a 10km run on rest days. I am up at 5 and home at 7, get to see the wee one, eat and bed.

I was 0.4kg lighter yesterday than my weigh in which would have made my loss this week 0.9kg but I had to eat out with a client last night. I had small amounts of chicken, no veg or carbs, and diet coke but it seemed to knock my rhythm.

End of week 5:

Cumulative loss: - 7.3kg/16.09lbs over four weeks.

Hope everyone one else is on track. Hows your hip DVB?

More good work fella, good stuff.

Hip feels fine since last weekend, thanks for asking. Weather has been awful so haven't had much chance to gte out running so have hit the turbo trainer for some cycling instead over the last week or so, that seemed to sort out the hip muscles anyway with no twisting & turning & plenty of movement to heat it up. Feels back to normal in fact. Will try & get a run in before the weekend to see how it feels then.

My weight has plateaued, still at just under the 12 stone mark, though to be fair my eating hasn't really been a diet, just normal so more or less to be expected really. Other than the stollen last week have avoided all treats so will keep that going and get back to eatinga little less, coupled with the exercise it should start moving south again soon enough, I'm not that worried at the moment to be fair.

Good to hear about the hip. I used to have a turbo trainer when I lived in Oman but my housemate swiped it for his IM training. I haven't been on a bike in years.

12 stone/76kg is what my trainer was saying this morning would be my lowest limit. Anything more would be unsustainable or I would be exhausted. Considering that is over 10kg away from where I am now and 20kg from where I started I think he is in cloud cuckoo land. I was that weight at 15 and Im hairier now so I have to take that into account.

Good to hear about the hip. I used to have a turbo trainer when I lived in Oman but my housemate swiped it for his IM training. I haven't been on a bike in years.

12 stone/76kg is what my trainer was saying this morning would be my lowest limit. Anything more would be unsustainable or I would be exhausted. Considering that is over 10kg away from where I am now and 20kg from where I started I think he is in cloud cuckoo land. I was that weight at 15 and Im hairier now so I have to take that into account.

You'd have to cut one of my limbs off to get me to 76kg!

83/85kg is my ideal walking around weight. However I'm 6 1' so can carry a bit extra.

you're 3cm taller than me and I thought the same. However I have lost the above 7 and a bit kgs and I am by no means skinny, even another 10kg and I wouldnt be. Its amazing how many cubby holes the fat hides in.

I just hate that its cals in vrs cals out. The training is grand, sure its only 3 days a week in the gym. its the calorie restriction that irks me.

12st (76kg) for a bloke at 6 foot sounds very light ( & I mean VERY) you'd need to be a stick to achieve that I suspect. I'm a fair bit shorter than ye guys at 5'7" and I'm just under it (75kg), even at that my 'running' weight (which is as light as I realistically want to be) is 11 and a half stone (72/73kg) and to be fair I'd not be carrying a lot of timber at that stage (32" waist, 15" collar shirt etc) . A 6 foot tall bloke at anything close to that would look malnourished/not healthy IMO.

I'm sure there all sorts of text out there to prove me wrong but I reckon you'd need to be a gym bunny with no FT job and a dietician to achieve that & maintain it. Prefer to have a life myself.

Im with you DVB, I think I think 82ish will be my best weight. Though my inner kid says 100kg.

Im with you DVB, I think I think 82ish will be my best weight. Though my inner kid says 100kg.

Just be comfortable in your own skin.

Health (including mental) trumps appearance any day of the week IMO.

I'm barely over 5 ft so I can't carry much extra weight without looking like I raided a bakery :) overall I hope to lose 8-10kg, or get to a certain size clothes wise.

Still on track here, but finding current news a struggle to cope with so I'm taking breaks from being online.

Eskie wrote: »
    Still on track here, but finding current news a struggle to cope with so I'm taking breaks from being online.

Very important. I try to de-screen as much as I can over the weekends. I find it good for the mental heath as much as the physical.

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »
    Very important. I try to de-screen as much as I can over the weekends. I find it good for the mental heath as much as the physical.

I used to be quite good at keeping away from my phone, but I've slipped into some bad habits lately and it's definitely having an effect.
    I'm going to chat with himself about going for a good hike this weekend, I think it would do us both a lot of good. Saying that, I've no idea what weather is promised :)

I had a bad weekend, I had chicken wings on Thursday, then on firday I had a microwave bag of popcorn as I was wrecked on the couch. I went to the gym yesterday to do a run. I was aiming for 10km, it was rough, but I had an ironman documentary on whilst running so I thought I would push on. I did 15km. It was a terrible idea. 10km is usually my limit, and rightly so. We had the neighbors around for a BBQ and I was no company for hours. I was sweating and barely with it. I was lashing rehydration salts in.

It also massively skewed my weigh in this morning as I am dehydrated. I log in each day online my weight with the official one being Tuesday, today makes it look good but Tuesday I will be 1kg more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I had a crazy week to be honest and yes I comfort ate some feelings. Concentrating on one good decision at a time though so all things considered it could have been a LOT worse. I’m asthmatic, and unexpectedly have been designated very high risk and must work from home for the foreseeable. I’m a teacher so this is so alien. I was allowed finish out the day the report came in and that was it. Really struggled with a mix of relief of the anxiety that had been worrying me since we went back and the realisation that medical professionals all agree I could have a very bad time with it if I get Covid. My head has been an absolute spin. I only sent the application in because a relative (a doctor) was on at me too. I truly expected to be high risk and just continue on so it really threw me for a loop.

Anyways that’s the excuse for this week. What’s the plan? Well for now I teach from home until they can find someone qualified to teach in the classroom. I’m at home though so I’m scheduling in a mindful walk for lunchtime each day. I’ve hauled out my home weights and my yoga mat and I’ve set them up in the room I’m working in (it’s a massive attic conversion). I’ve installed the Nike training app and scheduled in some workouts. And I’ve the Tesco shop done with all the good stuff in it for delivery tomorrow. And by good stuff I mean the healthy stuff! I’m putting a good soup together today for my lunches too now that I have access to a microwave again!

Bring on the week!

End of week 6 and I am struggling for sleep. We have a lot of stray cats, and normal cats here, the council have begged people not to feed them but people relent. Anyway there are nightly brawls on the street. Last night it was 1am and woke the wee one. It's every second night.

We have a dog who we keep inside to not disturb the neighbors, sadly cat owners in our community have said that they will not keep their cats in at night as its cruel. Anyway, got to sleep at 2am and up at 5am.

End of week 6:
    Week 6: - 1.2kg/2.65lbs

Cumulative loss: - 8.5kg/18.74lbs over four weeks.

Fair play Jude, third best weight loss. Looks like the dehydration didn't effect you too much.

Work outs have been thrown out the window this week. I'm going to try and settle into a routine with work, and then see where I can squeeze in some exercise. Food isn't too bad so far, but I imagine it's going to get harder to manage the hanger and the tiredness...

How is everyone getting on? :)

Stick at it Eskie, some days/weeks are easier/better than others.

Diet has been Ok, could be worse could be better. Have stuck to the exercise pretty well so happy with that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I ordered an exercise bike 2 weeks before lockdown was officially announced it arrived today and full assembled now.

I had these mad notions of doing 30 mins a day every day. Just did ten. Legs are jelly and I’m sweating like a mad man. I might need to build up to 30 :pac:

Loughc wrote: »
    I ordered an exercise bike 2 weeks before lockdown was officially announced it arrived today and full assembled now.

I had these mad notions of doing 30 mins a day every day. Just did ten. Legs are jelly and I’m sweating like a mad man. I might need to build up to 30 :pac:

I love a stint on the exercise bike, great in the winter when you cant get out running due to bad weather. You can sweat buckets on them. Doing 30 minutes+ every day might leave you with a sore bottom though until you get used to it.

You'll build up to 30 minutes in no time & reckon you'll be up to 45/60 minutes easily in a couple of weeks. I find them great for slimming down a few pounds if you stick with it but not as good for aerobic fitness levels as running, i.e. quicker returns in terms of fitness with running.

Great investment for the winter though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Essentially that’s why I got it. Our park closes at 5pm. Me and the roads aren’t great here to run on. So the bike will fill the void.

I also have dumbbells which are like gold dust here according to the neighbourhood Facebook group.

Advertisement