Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice: Decent mattresses/bedding

• 24-09-2020 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've recently come to the realisation that my old mattress is really not much better than kipping on the floor. I had a memory foam one for a few years that kind of wore out fairly quickly although it was relatively inexpensive. I'm looking now at the moment in some walk in retail shops and some of the prices seem a little excessive for ones that are comfortable enough. I was looking at some online retailers like emma and another one irish company called easca. They seem fairly reasonable, but really depends on what they are gonna send ye I suppose.

Anyone have any experience with online mattress or bedding retailers?

Thanks,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

Theres a good few mattress companies based in ireland king koil for example.
    Ikea have a good selection.
    I bought a bed from this gentleman. Found them great https://bigmickey.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭NiceFella

Theres a good few mattress companies based in ireland king koil for example.
    Ikea have a good selection.
    I bought a bed from this gentleman. Found them great https://bigmickey.ie/

Cheers for the suggestions. Funny name that for a furniture shop. Ha but looks like they have a good selection. What did ye go for yourself do ye mind me asking? I see pocket sprung memory foam ones. I'm wondering are they any use?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

+1 for pocket sprung mattress from bigmickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Another +1 for bigmickey.ie.

He won't see you wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I wouldn’t buy a mattress online without lying on it. It’s important to make sure you find it comfortable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mattresses are one of those things that you get what you pay for. It doesn't mean that you personally will necessarily find the most expensive the most comfortable, but certainly in my experience if you pay more for a mattress you will be more satisfied with it.

Totally agree you need to try mattresses. Take your time, go into the shop when its a bit quiet and just lie on all of them, several times if necessary. Not sure what the situation is with Covid though.

I have a pocket sprung with memory foam top layer and I love it. Not everyone likes memory foam though.

looksee wrote: »
    Mattresses are one of those things that you get what you pay for. It doesn't mean that you personally will necessarily find the most expensive the most comfortable, but certainly in my experience if you pay more for a mattress you will be more satisfied with it.

Totally agree you need to try mattresses. Take your time, go into the shop when its a bit quiet and just lie on all of them, several times if necessary. Not sure what the situation is with Covid though.

I have a pocket sprung with memory foam top layer and I love it. Not everyone likes memory foam though.

Yeah I agree on that one. I went into a few show rooms to have a feel for what was on offer. It's a good point to make that dearer doesn't always mean better. I actually found some of the more expensive ones not to my liking. Some were far too soft. I settled on a nice medium pocket sprung one.

Cheers for the advice and suggestions. The pocket sprung mattresses seem to be were it's at.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

looksee wrote: »

Which mattress did you go for?

I've three bedrooms to furnish so budget is very tight but don't want to have the rooms looking new and lovely only to spoil things with poor/cheap mattresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I got the Emma mattress. Awful thing just had to go out and buy a Respa. The Emma is so hot and not particularly comfortable. I got a really bad stiff neck from it too. The pillows are also awful. How it got the no.1 ratings it achieves online is anyones guess.

• Company Representative Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭bigmickey.ie

@ Headtheball14 @ HeidiHeidi @ Graham

Thanks all.

• Advertisement

As a follow up, I settled on a Respa bed no pun intended. I bought it in a Michael Murphy showroom but you can get them in other places too. Have it around 6 months and it is probably the best thing I have ever bought. I did pay for it but totally worth it. My back feels so much better having bought it.

Bigmickey also have a great selection too as people have pointed out. So I think this trend has been a success

• Registered Users Posts: 27 EmmaC1978

We bought a Hypnos Orthocare 7 pocketsprung mattress last August, after having a Harrisson matress for approx 18 years. The sales guy said this was the closest brand if we had been happy with the Harrisson which we were. From memory, it cost approx €1k back in 2002, and this one was about €750 on sale. Definitely worth the money!

Advertisement