Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bathroom ceiling light

• 25-09-2020 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi guys,

I have a potential stupid question but I simply can't figure it out.
    The light in the bathroom burned out the other day.
    It has one of those plastic covers and when trying to open it to see what bulb is inside and change it we can't.
    We've been renting this place so it wasn't us that put it up in the first place.
    Can someone give any advice how to open it?
    I've been trying to rotate it but it just goes round and round and nothing happens.
    I'm afraid to pull too much cause I don't want to brake it either.
    Anyone has similar light covers and can help?

I have attached photos from said light.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Looks like the white bit should unscrew from the black bit. If not, it might prise off??

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Troula

KaneToad wrote: »
    Looks like the white bit should unscrew from the black bit. If not, it might prise off??

The unscrewing part was my idea as well. But it just goes round and nothing moves down or anything.
    At the same time the black part is also a bit loose so when trying to use some more force i am afraid it will come off altogether from the ceiling.... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Troula wrote: »
    The unscrewing part was my idea as well. But it just goes round and nothing moves down or anything.
    At the same time the black part is also a bit loose so when trying to use some more force i am afraid it will come off altogether from the ceiling.... :confused:

Are you sure there isn't a small screw round the other unpictured side holding the cover to the metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Troula

wyndham wrote: »
    Are you sure there isn't a small screw round the other unpictured side holding the cover to the metal?

Just checked.
    nothing on the other side either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

LOL been in this situation before, if no screws and it is not thread bound(you did get another set of hands to hold black ring when you rotated? then it is a push fixture which means you need to pull.

Probe by pushing inwards all around the black ring which is attached to the mounting plate for movement, you might be able to diagnose 3 or four clip points? I'd be investigating with a small pry tool like a decent sized flat head screwdriver, gently gently approach, walk it out slowly from the clips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭meercat

The white diffuser should pry from the black base as others have said. There may be a slot to insert a large flathead screwdriver if you look closely. Note use a large flathead screwdriver

Advertisement