Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2nd car insurance policy query

• 01-09-2020 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm looking to temporarily insure a 3rd car, before I sell my 2nd one, and have a query.

I have full no claims on vehicle 1 in my own name, and am a named driver on vehicle 2's policy which is in my wife's name.

My question is can you use the named driver experience on my wife's policy, to obtain an introductory bonus on a second policy in my name, or do I have to start fully from scratch for the new policy on vehicle 3?

It makes a massive difference to the dummy quotes online, if I can use even the 2 years named driver experience which have.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask your insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Downsey77 wrote: »
    I'm looking to temporarily insure a 3rd car, before I sell my 2nd one, and have a query.

I have full no claims on vehicle 1 in my own name, and am a named driver on vehicle 2's policy which is in my wife's name.

My question is can you use the named driver experience on my wife's policy, to obtain an introductory bonus on a second policy in my name, or do I have to start fully from scratch for the new policy on vehicle 3?

It makes a massive difference to the dummy quotes online, if I can use even the 2 years named driver experience which have.

You cannot use named driving experience to get new quotes if you have an existing policy in your own name.

Cheapest option could be to add the car as a temporary additional vehicle under your existing policy, depending on the length of time you need it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

You cannot use named driving experience to get new quotes if you have an existing policy in your own name.

Yes you can. AonInsurance underwritten by Aviva I think used to allow this.

I know it was definitely done twice in my house.

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Yes you can. AonInsurance underwritten by Aviva I think used to allow this.

I know it was definitely done twice in my house.

Id be very confident you are mistaken tbh.

There have been multiple threads in this forum over the years asking what the OP is asking and also criticising the insurance industry for not allowing the NCD to be used on more than one vehicle.

Perhaps you are getting confused with a named driver being given a letter of named driving experience and insurers accepting that as an "introductory" bonus on their first policy in their own name. That is common market practice, usually happens in a spouse / partner situation or a parent / child situation.

Policy holder is earning the bonus in their own name, have their partner / child as a named driver, partner / child decides they want their own policy so get a letter of named driving experience from the policy holders insurer to state they were named on the policy and claims free for X years so the new insurer will give them an introductory bonus, ie giving them the benefit of having earned some level of NCD despite never having held a policy in their own right.

Someone that has an earned bonus ie a bonus from a policy in their own name will not be given the benefit of named driving experience for the purposes of taking a second car in their own right. Earned bonus supersedes named driving experience and it is the earned bonus that is applicable to any any additional policies so if it is being used on one car it cannot be used concurrently on a second car.

If the very unlikely scenario that what you are saying is 100% accurate ie someone that had a bonus in their own name, was a named driver on a second vehicle and was able to insure an additional vehicle in their own name using the named driving experience from the second vehicle, while keeping their own policy active then there are two possible reasons for this.

1) the policy holder lied on their application
    2) the broker made a mistake

If what you were saying was true people would be able to take multiple policies getting full NCD allowances despite only earning one bonus. That simply does not happen in the market unless there is an error or omission somewhere along the line.

There have been multiple threads in this forum over the years asking what the OP is asking and also criticising the insurance industry for not allowing the NCD to be used on more than one vehicle.

Perhaps you are getting confused with a named driver being given a letter of named driving experience and insurers accepting that as an "introductory" bonus on their first policy in their own name. That is common market practice, usually happens in a spouse / partner situation or a parent / child situation.

Policy holder is earning the bonus in their own name, have their partner / child as a named driver, partner / child decides they want their own policy so get a letter of named driving experience from the policy holders insurer to state they were named on the policy and claims free for X years so the new insurer will give them an introductory bonus, ie giving them the benefit of having earned some level of NCD despite never having held a policy in their own right.

Someone that has an earned bonus ie a bonus from a policy in their own name will not be given the benefit of named driving experience for the purposes of taking a second car in their own right. Earned bonus supersedes named driving experience and it is the earned bonus that is applicable to any any additional policies so if it is being used on one car it cannot be used concurrently on a second car.

If the very unlikely scenario that what you are saying is 100% accurate ie someone that had a bonus in their own name, was a named driver on a second vehicle and was able to insure an additional vehicle in their own name using the named driving experience from the second vehicle, while keeping their own policy active then there are two possible reasons for this.

If what you were saying was true people would be able to take multiple policies getting full NCD allowances despite only earning one bonus. That simply does not happen in the market unless there is an error or omission somewhere along the line.

Yeah the situation I'm trying to explain is where a spouse is named on their partners policy
    Husband has his policy with wife named
    Wife has her policy with husband named

Wife got a second car and used the 9 years named experience which got them the full discount off the broker, two years in a row this worked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cheapest option could be to add the car as a temporary additional vehicle under your existing policy, depending on the length of time you need it for.

Yes you can.

You just start from scratch on the new vehicle. Some companies may mirror your existing NCB and give you a head start as it were, but that's about it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

You've never heard of mirroring then ? It's not uncommon, and industry-known.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes you can.

You just start from scratch on the new vehicle. Some companies may mirror your existing NCB and give you a head start as it were, but that's about it.

Of course you can start from scratch on a new vehicle, I never said anything to the contrary but that's not what the OP asked so I don't know why you've brought it up.

Mirroring is in place for commercial motor insurance alright, either for an additional commercial policy for a tradesman or a trades man with a private policy looking to take out a commercial motor policy but it does not happen with private insurance. As I said, if it did people would be able to insure multiple vehicles with only one bonus, that does not happen in this country as multiple threads across this forum clearly illustrate.

Of course you can start from scratch on a new vehicle, I never said anything to the contrary but that's not what the OP asked so I don't know why you've brought it up.

Mirroring is in place for commercial motor insurance alright, either for an additional commercial policy for a tradesman or a trades man with a private policy looking to take out a commercial motor policy but it does not happen with private insurance. As I said, if it did people would be able to insure multiple vehicles with only one bonus, that does not happen in this country as multiple threads across this forum clearly illustrate.

Just stop.

You literally don't know what you're talking about.

Mirroring is available to private motorists, and you won't need to be a genius to figure out how I know this.

Ode To The Motorist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭TheFactMan

You can't use the same no claims on 2 cars at the same time, I found that out today myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Yeah the situation I'm trying to explain is where a spouse is named on their partners policy
    Husband has his policy with wife named
    Wife has her policy with husband named

Wife got a second car and used the 9 years named experience which got them the full discount off the broker, two years in a row this worked

This was the exact scenario I was original enquiring about. I rang several insurance companies in the end to check and most said they wouldn’t recognise the named driver experience that I had on my wife’s policy, to start me off on a 2nd policy in my own name, however one thankfully did.

I double & triple checked that they knew what I was asking for in case the agent had made a mistake but they repeatedly confirmed that it was okay to use the named experience from my wife’s policy even though I have full NCD in my own name. I ended up paying €700 instead of €1200 minimum, so happy days.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Just stop.

You literally don't know what you're talking about.

Mirroring is available to private motorists, and you won't need to be a genius to figure out how I know this.

Name the insurer that does it so as I can only assume you work in a brokers.

This was the exact scenario I was original enquiring about. I rang several insurance companies in the end to check and most said they wouldn’t recognise the named driver experience that I had on my wife’s policy, to start me off on a 2nd policy in my own name, however one thankfully did.

I double & triple checked that they knew what I was asking for in case the agent had made a mistake but they repeatedly confirmed that it was okay to use the named experience from my wife’s policy even though I have full NCD in my own name. I ended up paying €700 instead of €1200 minimum, so happy days.

Yup my mother done it twice in the past so I knew it was possible, Unlike El Gato spouting absolute ring in this thread

Name the insurers lads.

Ye are making claims about something that nobody else seems to be able to get their hands on so kindly provide the insurers that are underwriting these policies.

Until such time as you do, I am not the one "talking ring".

Name the insurers lads.

Ye are making claims about something that nobody else seems to be able to get their hands on so kindly provide the insurers that are underwriting these policies.

Until such time as you do, I am not the one "talking ring".

If you recall I already did.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

When I was working in a broker, we used to do this all the time. So long as it was inputted as named driver experience (not NCB) and it was noted that the main driver was also the main driver of another vehicle, it was all fine. There weren't a load of companies quoting but some did. It was over a year ago when I was working in insurance so I don't remember the insurer - I'd guess at patrona but that's just a feeling

Might not be something that can be done by just putting you information into an online form as they are just for the easy to underwrite policies but it's definitely done.

Interesting, every day is school day. I know Patrona used to do it for commercial policies but id never seen it for private policies unless there was a hefty commercial business connection.

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    When I was working in a broker, we used to do this all the time. So long as it was inputted as named driver experience (not NCB) and it was noted that the main driver was also the main driver of another vehicle, it was all fine. There weren't a load of companies quoting but some did. It was over a year ago when I was working in insurance so I don't remember the insurer - I'd guess at patrona but that's just a feeling

Might not be something that can be done by just putting you information into an online form as they are just for the easy to underwrite policies but it's definitely done.

Q.E.D. El Gato methinks, your apology is noted.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

In case anyone was wondering 123.ie was the insurer who did recognise the named driver experience I had from my wife's policy, even though I had full NCD in my own name on a separate policy. So anyone in the same boat, check them out.

Luckily I was able to sell the car with the 14-day cooling off period so it only cost me €24 or so to insure the car for 12 days.

Advertisement