Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorbike insurance - tell us your quotes/renewals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Last insured on 250 YBR learner permit for €359 3rd party. MCE wont insure learners now.

Anyone ideas on a good reliable insurer for a learner permit (male 30s) for a 250 YBR? Or a multi-quote website i can bash my details into. I was last rising 2014 so it's different now.

I'd pay more for no hassle with the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

Seconded here, 18yo A2 leaner permit, can't insure any 250's at all. Liberty won't do it, Carole Nash said that they will only offer fully comp cover to under 25's, which would cost €3k, so yeah nah. I think AXA is the same, didn't try principle as they won't give credit to under 21s.

Practical upshot was that despite having gotten quotes on bikes a month before I sold mine, they changed their policy while I was selling it, only to discover that I couldn't actually get cover about 20 minutes before I was going to meet the seller. So I had to buy another 125, and Liberty now has the balls to tell me that the new 125 is €5 more expensive per month, even though both bikes are single cylinder air cooled cruisers.

Seconded here, 18yo A2 leaner permit, can't insure any 250's at all. Liberty won't do it, Carole Nash said that they will only offer fully comp cover to under 25's, which would cost €3k, so yeah nah. I think AXA is the same, didn't try principle as they won't give credit to under 21s.

Practical upshot was that despite having gotten quotes on bikes a month before I sold mine, they changed their policy while I was selling it, only to discover that I couldn't actually get cover about 20 minutes before I was going to meet the seller. So I had to buy another 125, and Liberty now has the balls to tell me that the new 125 is €5 more expensive per month, even though both bikes are single cylinder air cooled cruisers.
    It's getting to the stage I give up the bike again and buy a car. I have a full license for a car but I wasn't ready to give up bikes yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Good grief the insurance situation seems to be going out the door. What are newbies expected to do? If there were more bike schools in operation full time that would help with getting the test and licence sorted.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Got renewal notice with CN, age 49, Dublin, full licence and NCB 20+ years, 320 fully comp on an SV1000 including breakdown and legal cover.

Gave Principle a ring, they quoted me 279, so got back to CN and they knocked it down to 276 :)

Ironically all three quotes were underwritten by Axa. The actual policy cost with CN didn't change, they just knocked down their broker fee - originally €87 which was a bit ridiculous.

No talk of any refunds of premiums due to lockdown... we got 30 quid back off Allianz on the wife's car, whoop de doo...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

No talk of any refunds of premiums due to lockdown... we got 30 quid back off Allianz on the wife's car, whoop de doo...

I got a cheque for €30 back from Principal a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Bike: 1999 BMW R1100RT
    Broker: Carole Nash
    Underwriter: Axa Broker
    Licence: Full / 26 yrs
    NCD: 4yr
    Excess (compulsory/voluntary): €75 / €0
    Cover: TPF&T inc commuting, pillion cover
    Mileage: 12k
    Benefits: Legal and breakdown
    Renewal price: €258.26
    (Previous year: €234.78)

Underwriter has changed from Ageas to Axa. Compulsory excess reduced from €200 to €75.

After a moan on the phone to remove an out-of-date non-fault accident (June 2015/car) and lower estimated mileage for next year to 8k the random number generator came up with €229.25 (€29.01 saving)

Did you get sorted yet?

CaroleNash offered 405 (3rd +F+T) for a 3rd learner permit (82EUR was the broker fee). The issue is he wanted by IBT cert which I don't have as i gave it in to tax office in 2013 for my 1st learner permit. He was confused as I was at whether I need to do it again. I went to NDLS to get my 3rd permit after my 2nd expired in 2015. They renewed my permit once i proved i paid for a test. So afaik once you get your permit you are licensed as a learner, I'm really not sure what the agent was talking about as the IBT is what gets you a learner permit.

The odd thing is I've not been asked for an IBT cert by an insurance company/broker before, as it is for the NDLS you have done the 16hrs training. If Ive to do it again I might ditch biking, I just can't afford 500EUR to train again. :mad:

I will ring axa Monday to see can they beat CN as they were brokering for Axa anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I don't know what way it was done in 2013 lol but the IBT cert does not get you a learner permit today it's the other way round. You can't do your IBT without having a valid learner permit in the first place. The instructor will need to see it before letting you on the bike.

You will need to contact your instructor to see if he still has a record of the permit and perhaps can send you a picture or contact the RSA and give them your driver number. The IBT should have been logged by your instructor with them as completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭TheWarChicken

Yeah, I just paid them the extra fiver, I'm not happy about it, but I don't really have a whole lot of choice in the matter as I have a cert done with Liberty worth 25% of my premium. I kind of have to stay on the bikes because there's no way I could afford a car because of insurance, tax and petrol. I absolutely understand where you're coming from, it's getting incredibly difficult to get on the road in any capacity and it's very concerning living in an area with limited public transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Sn@kebite wrote: »
    Did you get sorted yet?

CaroleNash offered 405 (3rd +F+T) for a 3rd learner permit (82EUR was the broker fee). The issue is he wanted by IBT cert which I don't have as i gave it in to tax office in 2013 for my 1st learner permit. He was confused as I was at whether I need to do it again. I went to NDLS to get my 3rd permit after my 2nd expired in 2015. They renewed my permit once i proved i paid for a test. So afaik once you get your permit you are licensed as a learner, I'm really not sure what the agent was talking about as the IBT is what gets you a learner permit.

The odd thing is I've not been asked for an IBT cert by an insurance company/broker before, as it is for the NDLS you have done the 16hrs training. If Ive to do it again I might ditch biking, I just can't afford 500EUR to train again. :mad:

I will ring axa Monday to see can they beat CN as they were brokering for Axa anyway...

Jesus no, you have to have a valid ibt cert with you at all times while on a learners, you don't hand it to anyone.

They only last for two years aswell.

You have to have a valid ibt cert to be insured, otherwise you're paying for a very expensive and pointless piece of paper.

They aren't just for the ndls.... a guard can demand it to be produced, insurance can ask to see it and you need technically need to present it to do a full test may not be asked for though.

It goes theory test -> permit -> ibt -> legally allowed drive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Did you get sorted yet?

why are you not doing your test? Tbh, I dont think 7 years on an LP should be allowed anyway- didn't we have a Minister just go through that..... ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Did you get sorted yet?

Why would the NDLS keep your IBT cert?

galwaytt wrote: »
    why are you not doing your test? Tbh, I dont think 7 years on an LP should be allowed anyway- didn't we have a Minister just go through that..... ??
    I wasnt, i gave up biking as i needed the money for college just trying to get back into it. If someone keeps failing their test and cant get a license should they be banned? Im not sure how it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 John2451

Bike: 2009 YBR 125
    Broker: Liberty
    Licence: Prov (Going to do Progressive access for A licence soon)
    NCD: 2
    Mileage:6k
    Renewal price €235.40 TPO (would be €267.50 for TPFT)
    Previous year: €321.00 TPFT

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Bike: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800
    Broker: Principal
    Licence: Prov
    NCD: 1
    Mileage: 40k
    Renewal price €461.50 Fully Comp.
    Previous year: 220 on 49cc Vespa

Bike: 2017 Yamaha MT10
    Broker: Axa
    Licence: Full
    NCD: 20
    Mileage: 10,000
    Renewal price €468 Fully Comp.

Bike: 2018 Benelli BN125
    Licence: LP (waiting on a test date)
    Mileage: 4,000
    Renewal price €357 TPO

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Bike: 2018 Benelli BN125
    Licence: LP (waiting on a test date)
    Mileage: 4,000
    Renewal price €357 TPO

I presume thats your son or daughter ? Pretty good quote :)

D3V!L wrote: »

Oh god ya, I'm a tad more.................mature. (er, :pac::pac::pac::pac: )

it is good actually. The 1yr NCB and Level 4 rating is a big help. Want to get him to jog on to Level 3 and higher asap. He's still waiting on his test which would be another lift.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 John2451

John2451 wrote: »
    Bike: 2009 YBR 125
    Licence: Prov (Going to do Progressive access for A licence soon)
    NCD: 2
    Mileage:6k
    Renewal price €235.40 TPO (would be €267.50 for TPFT)
    Previous year: €321.00 TPFT

Should of put down Direct Access not Progressive Access

Ended up buying a 1991 Honda CB-1 (CB400F)

Insurance for Honda CB-1 & YBR 125 was €446 TPFT with Carol Nash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Bike: 2001 Honda ST1100 Pan European
    Licence: Full A
    NCD: 6
    Mileage: 3,000
    Renewal price: €380 Fully Comp (although they wanted €417 before I called them)

He passed his test yesterday, so here's hoping the Full will take another few yo-yo's off.

I'm as well pleased with him passing the test as a Leaving Cert ! :p

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

He passed his test yesterday, so here's hoping the Full will take another few yo-yo's off.

I'm as well pleased with him passing the test as a Leaving Cert ! :p

Wooohooo :D Love hearing about young lads and ladies getting into biking and passing their tests.

Wooohooo :D Love hearing about young lads and ladies getting into biking and passing their tests.

Yep. I was quite emotional afterwards really. Just brought me back to me starting on bikes, and the part it plays in my life now. And with so few young people doing it, so no peers to share the interest with, I'm so glad he's persevered.

In fact, I ran out and created his motorcycle life so far see attached !!

I'm a sap. But a very proud sap.

A shout out to Rob McGrath at West Coast Motorcycle Training in Galway for all the help.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yep. I was quite emotional afterwards really. Just brought me back to me starting on bikes, and the part it plays in my life now. And with so few young people doing it, so no peers to share the interest with, I'm so glad he's persevered.

A shout out to Rob McGrath at West Coast Motorcycle Training in Galway for all the help.

Congrats to him JM, wishing him plenty of fun and safe miles on the road!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭ratracer

Bike: 2012 Triumph Explorer 1200
    Licence: Full
    NCD: 16
    Mileage: 5,000
    Renewal price €298 FC

Garaged overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Delighted for you both and I wish you and the younger fella long continued success on the road
    Well done to the young fella :-)
    J

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

macplaxton wrote: »
    Bike: 1999 BMW R1100RT
    Underwriter: Axa Broker
    Licence: Full / 26 yrs
    NCD: 4yr
    Excess (compulsory/voluntary): €75 / €0
    Cover: TPF&T inc commuting, pillion cover
    Mileage: 12k
    Benefits: Legal and breakdown
    Renewal price: €258.26
    (Previous year: €234.78)

Underwriter has changed from Ageas to Axa. Compulsory excess reduced from €200 to €75.

After a moan on the phone to remove an out-of-date non-fault accident (June 2015/car) and lower estimated mileage for next year to 8k the random number generator came up with €229.25 (€29.01 saving)

Mid-term change.

Add 2000 BMW R1100RT to the policy, everything else the same.

Skinned €136.35 (inc. €45 admin) to add to policy. To transfer policy from existing bike to new bike (exactly the same model) they still wanted about €96!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

^^^
    I am guessing they might be looking for ways to get their covid 19 refunds back!!!

Dan.

Advertisement