Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID face mask for people wearing glasses?

• 17-08-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Wondering if anyone has found a face mask that doesn't cause your glasses to fog up? Where did you get it from, and how much? I'm a 6' 6" dude, so have a large head. Thus, the "one size fits all" black fabric masks don't fit me, as they cause my ears to bend due to a bad fit. The blue ones that you get in Boots fit grand, but I can't see much wearing them, which is annoying as hell in the shops!

Oh, and I can see better with the near-blind fogged-up glasses than without glasses, so I do need the glasses!

Am avoiding the plastic shields as they don't seem that great, and wouldn't seem to cover my mouth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

My sister uses the masks with the nose wires. Not sure where she got them, I will ask.
    She reckons they are the best after trying a few. I am pretty sure the earloops are adjustable too as I saw her messing with it in the garden.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anything with a wire will help hugely - I've found disposables better than 99% of reusables due to that, and reusables with wires are just asking to destroy your washer/dryer like an underwire bra can; but clearly disposables aren't practical to use for prolonged periods due to cost, sustainability and just falling apart when used for too long problems.

So - get ones with wires and if you notice the wire is gone after a wash or dry, find the wire before using the machine again, it should be in the filter... you hope.

Put the glasses out about 5mm further on your nose. I regularly wear a mask for 7 or 8 hours continuously in work and I can get through that long with no fogging up by doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The ones I got in Boots have the wire, but havne't figured out how it'd prevent the fogginess.
    Put the glasses out about 5mm further on your nose. I regularly wear a mask for 7 or 8 hours continuously in work and I can get through that long with no fogging up by doing that.
    I'll try it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

the_syco wrote: »
    The ones I got in Boots have the wire, but havne't figured out how it'd prevent the fogginess.

Pinch it hard and put your glasses a little lower.

Although putting them a lot lower as just recommended 'works' on all masks, it makes you feel like a stereotypical 1950s librarian!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The soap trick is supposed to be good.
    Requirement: soapy water and a soft cloth.

Glasses can be a major investment. If you have special coatings on your lenses, check with your optician before trying this, so you don’t ruin them.

1. Wash your lenses with soapy water and shake off the excess liquid.
    2. Allow your lenses to air dry or gently wipe them off with a soft cloth before wearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I assume you mean put the glasses 5mm down the nose over the mask which is what a friend told me. I was actually going to start a thread on this myself. I can't get it right. No matter what I do they fog up. It really is getting annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

L1011 wrote: »
    Anything with a wire will help hugely - I've found disposables better than 99% of reusables due to that, and reusables with wires are just asking to destroy your washer/dryer like an underwire bra can; but clearly disposables aren't practical to use for prolonged periods due to cost, sustainability and just falling apart when used for too long problems.

So - get ones with wires and if you notice the wire is gone after a wash or dry, find the wire before using the machine again, it should be in the filter... you hope.

Small item very easy to handwash

Small item very easy to handwash

Nothing is easy to handwash at the recommended temperature for washing masks.

the_syco wrote: »
    Hey,

Wondering if anyone has found a face mask that doesn't cause your glasses to fog up? Where did you get it from, and how much? I'm a 6' 6" dude, so have a large head. Thus, the "one size fits all" black fabric masks don't fit me, as they cause my ears to bend due to a bad fit. The blue ones that you get in Boots fit grand, but I can't see much wearing them, which is annoying as hell in the shops!

Oh, and I can see better with the near-blind fogged-up glasses than without glasses, so I do need the glasses!

Am avoiding the plastic shields as they don't seem that great, and wouldn't seem to cover my mouth.

I bought disposable ones in Tesco and they are ok. Just pinch the wire snug around your nose and that should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Got a message on WhatsApp that if you put some medical tape across the top of the mask it stops glasses fogging up. Don't wear glasses so don't know if it works

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tiredalways

L1011 wrote: »
    Nothing is easy to handwash at the recommended temperature for washing masks.

I pop mine into a bowl of boiling water with a drop of bleach stired in. Let sit until cooled down. Rinse out, put into a bowl again with a drop of fabric conditioner (gets rid of the bleach smell)and hot water. Soak, rinse,wring,hang up to dry.do this once a week with all my masks(have to wear one at work,and i like to have a spare, so after each day pop them into a ziplock baggie,wash them all together on my day off!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Soap/wash up liquid can damage glasses, ask your optician about anti-fog sprays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Surgical tape is the best option in my opinion

Wearing your glasses lower down your nose is not an option for me, your changing the focal point of the lenses if you do that and defeats the purpose of wearing them in the first place

Advertisement