Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tyre advice

• 04-06-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi all
    What tractor tyre is rated the best for traction and grip. Myself and a neighbour were disgusing this and we agreed that BKT was out because I've worn out a front set after nearly 4 years and he has a pair of continental worn out after 5 years. We are both doing front loader work what would be the Best Buy to fit
    Cheers and thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Davef1978 wrote: »
    Hi all
    What tractor tyre is rated the best for traction and grip. Myself and a neighbour were disgusing this and we agreed that BKT was out because I've worn out a front set after nearly 4 years and he has a pair of continental worn out after 5 years. We are both doing front loader work what would be the Best Buy to fit
    Cheers and thanks

Michelins are hard top for wear and traction. What hours are you getting out of a set? No one puts up the same hrs in any year. Michelins are £££. Trelleborg or kleiber might be a bit friendlier price wise

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Davef1978

kay 9 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Cheers and thanks

Michelins are hard top for wear and traction. What hours are you getting out of a set? No one puts up the same hrs in any year. Michelins are £££. Trelleborg or kleiber might be a bit friendlier price wise

Michelins would be hard to top indeed for grip and traction I have BKT's and I've roughly done close to 1700 hours over 3 and a half years. friend has done I think close to 3000 hours on I think continental tyres over 5 year. My hours have increased in the last 12 months. I wonder how much michelins would be. I was thinking of kleiber myself and I think I will price both them brands up

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

Fitted a full set of Kliebers May last year after 12 years 4500hrs on the original Goodyears, bald on front 25% on back.

Kliebers are made by Michelin but cost a lot less, I'll let you know in another 10 years how I get on :p

Justjens wrote: »
    Fitted a full set of Kliebers May last year after 12 years 4500hrs on the original Goodyears, bald on front 25% on back.

Kliebers are made by Michelin but cost a lot less, I'll let you know in another 10 years how I get on :p

You got on well them goodyears indeed after 12 year. Hopefully the Kleber does as long

Didn't know that kleber was liecened to michelin lol yes indeed

Michelins would be hard to top indeed for grip and traction I have BKT's and I've roughly done close to 1700 hours over 3 and a half years. friend has done I think close to 3000 hours on I think continental tyres over 5 year. My hours have increased in the last 12 months. I wonder how much michelins would be. I was thinking of kleiber myself and I think I will price both them brands up
    1700 hrs is dreadful I have to agree unless it was constantly on hard loader duty and even then I'd be dissatisfied. What tractor and size are they? Post up the prices if you get any quotes. Might be worth going up north too. Not hard to trailer up the wheels if there's good savings to be made

• Advertisement

1700 hours isn't good enough at all really thank you for agreeing. It would be hard loader work December to April with taking silage on back and on the loader I pop the loader on and off during the summer/autumn months. The tractor is a John deere 6210 se 340/85r24 I could be going for 380 instead and going from 34's to 38's on the rear. I'm going to price around this week and see what's available and I will post prices with what I find out
    I will price jb tyres up the north also I'm sure their is a good deal to be got with the exchange rate at the moment

1700 hours isn't good enough at all really thank you for agreeing. It would be hard loader work December to April with taking silage on back and on the loader I pop the loader on and off during the summer/autumn months. The tractor is a John deere 6210 se 340/85r24 I could be going for 380 instead and going from 34's to 38's on the rear. I'm going to price around this week and see what's available and I will post prices with what I find out
    I will price jb tyres up the north also I'm sure their is a good deal to be got with the exchange rate at the moment
    Just make sure with whatever size you go for that you don't upset the ratios ;) happy hunting

Just make sure with whatever size you go for that you don't upset the ratios ;) happy hunting

I'm going to go 380/85r24 on the front and go 420/85R38 on the rear so as not to upset the rolling ratio

I'm going to go 380/85r24 on the front and go 420/85R38 on the rear so as not to upset the rolling ratio

You sure those r38s will be ok with the 24 on front seeing as the profile is the same?

You sure those r38s will be ok with the 24 on front seeing as the profile is the same?

I had another 6210 se rolling on that size tyres, I've looked into to make sure it works with a previous posting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭White Clover

I had another 6210 se rolling on that size tyres, I've looked into to make sure it works with a previous posting

I think kay9 is correct to be concerned. My advice would be to ask a main dealer to check your serial number to confirm what combinations are compatible on THIS tractor.

I think kay9 is correct to be concerned. My advice would be to ask a main dealer to check your serial number to confirm what combinations are compatible on THIS tractor.

I will check with the main dealer before I move to do the change

My JD 6120 has 24 front and 34 rear.

My JD 6120 has 24 front and 34 rear.

Justjens what gear box is in your 6120

My gearbox is a 16 speed power reverser. A local man that I've done work for has a 6320 se also it is a 16 speed power reverser and it's running on 420/85R24 on the front and 480/85R38 on the the rear and that's what was on it from new I happened to work in the John Deere dealers that sold it new

Has a 16/16 gear powerquad

Has a 16/16 gear powerquad

Cool yeah it's the best transmission that John deere made

Soft as a bar of chocolate on a hot day, set me back 4.5K replacing all the bits that didn't agree with each other.

Soft as a bar of chocolate on a hot day, set me back 4.5K replacing all the bits that didn't agree with each other.

Oh heck really jeez bad luck.

I got around to consulting with my John deere dealer and I asked the sales man today what would be a good tyre choice with going to a larger wheels on the rear
    So I'm going to go 420/70r24 front and 480/70r38 on rear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭southkilkenny

DaveF1978, what brand of tyre did you go with and how did you find them. tyre dealer here suggesting I go wity Trelleborg Maximo, reasonably priced but not sure how these would be in comparison to other tyre brands.

Advertisement