Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Universe is AWESOME!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Could be as simple as 2 advanced civilisations, the Zofonians and the Fozafians decided to stop fighting and killing each other and instead decided to satisfy their rivalry by playing Unizap.
    Much the same way as European nations now use soccer matches instead of the occasional World War.
    Unizap is a simple game, where their fleets roam around the universe trying to find planets with life to zap.
    The more evolved the life forms on the planet, the more points they get.
    Unizap has been a great success and peace has now reigned between the Zofonians and the Fozafians for the past 5 million years.
    The Zofonians are narrowly ahead by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

arctictree wrote: »
    I read somewhere that life has only happened once on Earth. We are all descended from one organism. So with the billions of molecules on early Earth, only once did life evolve. Very hard to extrapolate the probability of life on another planet based on that.

Not really. In fact, it proves the concept. We know of at least one planet that produced life. This one. I call BS on anyone claiming to know, or be able to prove the claim that in the billions of years that the universe has existing, life has only ever happened here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

This idea of aliens destroying us for our resources is just stupidity. There are literally billions of planets with equal resources.

storker wrote: »
    Not really. In fact, it proves the concept. We know of at least one planet that produced life. This one. I call BS on anyone claiming to know, or be able to prove the claim that in the billions of years that the universe has existing, life has only ever happened here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

When link-dumping, it's helpful to point out what you think the link proves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Earth is an incredibly unique planet. I wouldn't be betting on lovable, altruistic aliens popping by for a wee chat and cup of tea.

If I found a lump of gold that an ant colony had built its hive upon...

The concept of competition in biology is very likely to hold sway no matter where in the universe. It is likely competition that would get us off earth too.

Lets hope we find the aliens first, and not the other way round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

beejee wrote: »
    Earth is an incredibly unique planet. I wouldn't be betting on lovable, altruistic aliens popping by for a wee chat and cup of tea.

The concept of competition in biology is very likely to hold sway no matter where in the universe. It is likely competition that would get us off earth too.

But there’s bigger lumps of gold out in space. There bigger lumps of every element.

Why would you bother squishing “ants” for smaller amounts of anything?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Gwen Cooper

But there’s bigger lumps of gold out in space. There bigger lumps of every element.

Well, it's still gold, you're not going to leave that behind.

storker wrote: »
    When link-dumping, it's helpful to point out what you think the link proves.

Read the link if you like. Don't if you don't. I care not.

Why don't we try to get those same resources right now?

Because we can't.

But if we could, you better believe we'd be all over it like a cheap suit.

And besides that, it's still the overwhelmingly unique properties of earth that make us stand out. That's what makes earth extremely valuable. That's what puts a target on us unlike anything in the known universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

https://www.universetoday.com/9295/astronomers-find-a-huge-diamond-in-space/.

agree theres more likely planets that have gold or other minerals/metals purely as their foundation, but sure logic, lets pick planet that would have 0.0000001 of any those :D

scamalert wrote: »
    https://www.universetoday.com/9295/astronomers-find-a-huge-diamond-in-space/.

agree theres more likely planets that have gold or other minerals/metals purely as their foundation, but sure logic, lets pick planet that would have 0.0000001 of any those :D

It's the combined qualities of earth that makes it valuable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What is the difference between unique and incredibly unique?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

An advanced society would have little to no use for a tiny insignificant planet like Earth. They would be more interested in harnessing the power of giant stars. They wouldn't even be interested in our sun as it's far too small.
    Stephen Hawking said it's a bad idea to be sending signals to ALIENS in to space.

Reckoned we might get our asses kicked.

I think there is some merit in the argument to be fair.

Unless we find someway of sending signals faster than light speed nobody outside or majority within our own galaxy will ever hear us anyway.

The blue dot is the furthest our earliest radio signals have travelled within the milky way

Photo too big to link https://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/images/universe/20130115_radio_broadcasts.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,447 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Milky Way is 53,000 light years across. The largest galaxy is 2 million light years across. There are billions and billions of galaxies. If our planet is unique, it won't be when the Sun explodes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stephen Hawking said it's a bad idea to be sending signals to ALIENS in to space.

Reckoned we might get our asses kicked.

I think there is some merit in the argument to be fair.
    Gotta watch out for that Berserker Probe

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

One's an over-exaggeration. :pac:

See what I did there?

If I have the only pair of bulletproof undercacks on earth, it's unique.

If I have the only pair of bulletproof undercacks in a universe with no evidence of a pair of bulletproof undercacks ever existing, where bulletproof undercacks are also, mysteriously, outlawed, it's incredibly unique.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

rossie1977 wrote: »

Irrefutable proof that aliens DO exist.

Read the link if you like. Don't if you don't. I care not.

I read it already a long time ago. Long before this thread. If you don't care, why did you bother to post it?

*boggle*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I worked out that blue dot, 200 light years across is approx 1172 trillion miles. That little speck is that big, and it's literally a speck in our known understanding of the universe*. That just boggles the mind! I do like the coin analagy above!

*Does that picture even show what we know, or is it a guess and it could be so much bigger or smaller?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

*Does that picture even show what we know, or is it a guess and it could be so much bigger or smaller?

thats just an impression of our galaxy, which is just one of somewhere around a hundred thousand million galaxies in the visible universe, which may only be the tiniest fraction of the actual universe, if we could ever know it all....

heres an actual visualisation of the Milky Way, as we know it

file_from_ios.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That's just the Milky Way... Mindsplosion! Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

This lad is always brilliant :P

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Incredibly detailed and beautiful view of the heart of the Crab Nebula, where a powerful pulsar resides. Taken by the Hubble Space Telescope, now approaching its 30 anniversary.

xq6vQ8CDU2GoQpLaMCYSZR-650-80.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trappist-1 - a dim red dwarf star 40 light years away.

First they found one terrestrial (rocky, potentially earth like) planet orbiting the star...then they found seven terrestrial planets transiting the star!

602x338_358734.jpg

Google did a doodle about it

seven-earth-size-exoplanets-discovered-6423181526040576-2-hp2x1.gif?w=600&quality=85

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

I concur!

Meteorite caught on camera in Poznan, Poland. Doesn't mention the date, presume last night.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/offbeat/meteor-illuminates-the-night-sky-in-poland-1.4132805

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The Milky Way is 53,000 light years across. The largest galaxy is 2 million light years across. There are billions and billions of galaxies. If our planet is unique, it won't be when the Sun explodes.

It makes one question why bother doing anything I have to say, especially doing something that you don't absolutely love (e.g. work).

Advertisement