Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Yeah to my knowledge the top 5 are all ~42/3 rising to 45, pinsent masons is 45 rising to 47 I think? And then have heard that DLA and others are also high? Walkers is higher too

Pinsent is the only firm in Ireland that's open about their trainee salaries. But it's a good bellwether as it shows approximately how much you could expect from the other firms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

IgoPAP wrote: »
    I have an offer from MF and its not 35k

Well that’s what she told me haha when talking about it she said it’s not that high and hers is around €35k

It depends on the year you’re offered it and taking it different years have different salaries I think

And long as I end up qualified I’ll be happy 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lawofattracti

Well that’s what she told me haha when talking about it she said it’s not that high and hers is around €35k

It depends on the year you’re offered it and taking it different years have different salaries I think

And long as I end up qualified I’ll be happy 😂

I believe McCanns had a paycut due to COVID so it could be due to that

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭user115

I have an offer from MF and its not 35k

Was that negotiation from your side or did they just make you a higher offer?

I was thinking in terms of prep for interviews. I was wondering if it is something I need to focus on and be able to make a good case for a higher offer or do you think they base it from your CV

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Lawofattracti

user115 wrote: »
    Was that negotiation from your side or did they just make you a higher offer?

I was thinking in terms of prep for interviews. I was wondering if it is something I need to focus on and be able to make a good case for a higher offer or do you think they base it from your CV

All trainees get the same salary. It's nothing to do with negotiation. They decide on a set salary and that's what you get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

I just got an email this morning saying:

'I wish to acknowledge receipt of your application for Legal Researcher. We are currently preparing for Stage 1 of the competition (Pre-recorded video interview) and will contact you shortly through your publicjobs message board with further information.'

Did you both receive this email first? Just wondering if my name is still in the hat!

I just got that one, I was a bit unclear there.

I'm normally the expert on CS stuff like still but everything is very different this year obviously so I can't be of any assistance to you.

If you havent been told you're out you're not out. Also the minimum requirement for many years was a master's or be professionally qualified so I couldnt apply before so not sure what the stages are and I havent met many legal researchers in my time, mainly just regular AO's who were doing legal research but on permanent contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

I believe McCanns had a paycut due to COVID so it could be due to that

A lot of the big firms have cut trainee salaries — or rather cut all salaries above a certain amount (which included the trainees who would all be on the low to mid €40s. McCann’s and William Fry certainly cut salaries, and I understand A&L did too. Matheson did not cut salaries, but have frozen pay rises like the others. Not sure what the story in Cox’s is.

There is an upside to all of this, however bleak it all is. Despite lower trainee salaries for the near future, a lot of firms have ramped up their digital office capability meaning that it is hopeful that you will have better flexibility in terms of finding an affordable place to rent (i.e. less concern over finding places close to the offices). You may not even have to move to Dublin at all, with some of the big firms having really embraced remote working.

A lot of the big firms have cut trainee salaries — or rather cut all salaries above a certain amount (which included the trainees who would all be on the low to mid €40s. McCann’s and William Fry certainly cut salaries, and I understand A&L did too. Matheson did not cut salaries, but have frozen pay rises like the others. Not sure what the story in Cox’s is.

There is an upside to all of this, however bleak it all is. Despite lower trainee salaries for the near future, a lot of firms have ramped up their digital office capability meaning that it is hopeful that you will have better flexibility in terms of finding an affordable place to rent (i.e. less concern over finding places close to the offices). You may not even have to move to Dublin at all, with some of the big firms having really embraced remote working.

I'm not convinced at all that training can be effectively done fully remotely.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭legallyginger

Has anybody any tips for complete brain overload at this point? Notes done, doing endless sample qs and examiners report but just feel not one ounce of information is being retained especially caselaw

Has anybody any tips for complete brain overload at this point? Notes done, doing endless sample qs and examiners report but just feel not one ounce of information is being retained especially caselaw

There's about 5 weeks left till the exam so I would recommend taking a break from the studying if you've got the revision done. I'm taking a week long break as I've got everything covered. You don't want to burn yourself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

There's about 5 weeks left till the exam so I would recommend taking a break from the studying if you've got the revision done. I'm taking a week long break as I've got everything covered. You don't want to burn yourself out.

agreed! I find white boards help me to retain information too

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭LS3

does anyone have a recent griffith college constitutional manual they could swap with me for any other griffith manual they want?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

Wondering if anybody can help me with a contract exam question.

The exam grid I have says that Intention, Certainty, and Formal & Evidentiary Requirements don't come up very often. Would it be a bad idea to leave these out? So far I've done

offer/acceptance
    consideration
    remedies
    consumer protection
    discharge
    capacity

and am planning on doing mistake, misrepresentation, estoppel, contractual terms and exemption clauses.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Anyone have any predictions for Constitutional or Equity???

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭lawDani

Wondering if anybody can help me with a contract exam question.

The exam grid I have says that Intention, Certainty, and Formal & Evidentiary Requirements don't come up very often. Would it be a bad idea to leave these out? So far I've done

offer/acceptance
    consideration
    remedies
    consumer protection
    discharge
    capacity

and am planning on doing mistake, misrepresentation, estoppel, contractual terms and exemption clauses.

Capacity rarely comes up but i wouldn't be eliminating it nor spending too much time on it.... its my third time sitting contract next month :(
    you have most the course there with the above - im doing those and adding mistake and misrep..

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

lawDani wrote: »
    Capacity rarely comes up but i wouldn't be eliminating it nor spending too much time on it.... its my third time sitting contract next month :(
    you have most the course there with the above - im doing those and adding mistake and misrep..

Best of luck with it next month! There's a lot of time left so I'm sure you'll get through it this time :)

I figured the only part of capacity that might come up is to do with minors and my notes for that are just 1 page, so would be an easy enough question.

Best of luck with it next month! There's a lot of time left so I'm sure you'll get through it this time :)

I figured the only part of capacity that might come up is to do with minors and my notes for that are just 1 page, so would be an easy enough question.

regarding capacity , i literally only have minors and contractual obligations covered.
    ha thank you i appreciate the well wishes, i am working full time so its a battle but that's life!
    i have sample answers up to 2018 if you want to DM me your email..

hi All,

First time sitting EU in November (hopefully anyway) and would appreciate some light shed on if the topics below are enough tor scrap the pass;

FM of Workers
    FM of Goods
    FM Services / establish.
    Competition Law
    Member State Liability / Judicial Review

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Has anyone elses application still not been approved? I submitted mine close to two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Has anyone elses application still not been approved? I submitted mine close to two weeks ago.

I’m the same. Says application under review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭lawgrad15

Did anybody here do the judicial assistant interview? How did it go and what topics came up? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

hi All,

First time sitting EU in November (hopefully anyway) and would appreciate some light shed on if the topics below are enough tor scrap the pass;

FM of Workers
    FM of Goods
    FM Services / establish.
    Competition Law

I would also include:
    - Institutions/General Principles (Almost always comes up - boring but easy)
    - Mergers to go alongside competition law
    - Direct Effect & Supremacy to go alongside MS liability and judicial review
    - (If you have time) Citizenship & Equality (I think these are the easiest and most interesting chapters so are easy to cover kinda last minute)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

hi All,

FM of Workers
    FM of Goods
    FM Services / establish.
    Competition Law

Tbh I think no. I passed EU in August. You should cover Direct Effect with Member State Liability as they often come up in the same question. I wouldn't bother with FM Services/establishments and would do the general principles instead, a question on that comes up most years. FM of Workers generally gets tied in a question with citizenship so would cover that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

Would it be safe to leave competition law out for EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lawgrad2020

Does anyone have recent property law answers, particularly on co-ownership? Finding it hard to understand in some areas

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lawgrad101

HU123 wrote: »
    Would it be safe to leave competition law out for EU?

Yes once you’re well covered with the rest of the course, I left it out and I was fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Lawgrad101

Anyone else still waiting to get their scripts back?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

APower79 wrote: »
    I’m the same. Says application under review

Same for me it has been almost three weeks since I applied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

Lawgrad101 wrote: »

From March or from August ?

I’m waiting from August but it’s only been a week so I’m not expecting anything yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Lawgrad101 wrote: »

I am too! They got onto me today to say my application has been processed! Just hope they get them to me before the 6th!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement