Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starter pack of products for amateur

• 27-09-2020 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if I can get some advice regarding buying a starter pack of products for someone who would like to start taking care of the car a bit more from a detailing point of view.

I have a karcher pressure washer, and tend to just wash the cars with some cheap car shampoo. This does the good enough job but I want to at least attempt to get the cars looking better.

We have two black cars and one red one, and they are all 10 years old. So looking to get some products that would help "restore" them a bit, rather than new cars to keep shiny.

Is there a starter pack or a set of products worth picking up for around 100 euro budget?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Might be others on here might recommend better, but if your going to spend a €100, i use to wash Bilt Hamber auto wash, seems a small bottle but will last a good while, a teaspoon in a bucket is all you need,find it very good.
    If you have alloys Bilt Hamber auto wheel very good too.
    A good drying towel, always use a 2 bucket wash.
    This is just the starters but i believe would be a good start.
    All can be ordered on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭consulatory

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Might be others on here might recommend better, but if your going to spend a €100, i use to wash Bilt Hamber auto wash, seems a small bottle but will last a good while, a teaspoon in a bucket is all you need,find it very good..

I also use Bilt Hamber auto wash and whilst it does a good job, I find i need to skip covering the car with it. instead i wash & then spray down every panel one/two a time as it dries way too quick.

If the cars are 10 years old, you'd definitely see a marked improvement in paint quality by giving it a machine polish. £100 for a DAS6 and then another 100 odd for pads and polish. I use Koch Chemie polish and pads.

To spend the 100 quid on a polisher though, you'd also have to spend a hundred on things to decontaminate the paint (bilt hamber clay bar, bilt hamber korrosol, some tar remover, edgeless microfibre cloths)

Really, it will snowball into spending 500 quid and you'll just end up with less-bad paint.

Perfection is out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Detailing isn't a cheap hobby and you can end up down the rabbit hole fairly quickly. If I was starting out I just buy something like this, cover the basics

https://www.reflectautocare.ie/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=824

• Registered Users Posts: 34 pinking

Get yourself a claybar, glue and tar remove, iron fallout remover, some clay lube, maybe a compound restorer and some super resin polish.

use the tar remover and fallout remover followed by a good wash and go over it carefully with a clay bar. Depending on how bad your paint is, you may want something like a compound but most cars wont need this so see how you get on with just a super resin polish. You can literally see a difference in 5 minutes with a super resin polish so will bring your car up to a higher standard. Then just keep it washed and clean every 2 weeks, all this stuff should be way under your budget tbh

Advertisement