Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID-19 - Irish Gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Select CEX stores reopened:

Bray

Clonmel

Cork Blackpool

Cork Grand Parade

Drogheda

Dublin Liffey Street

Dublin Stillorgan

Ennis

Finglas

Limerick

Sligo

Tralee

Waterford

Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nice, I have 83 cash worth of games to sell them. Would like to get it done before they drop too much. Would like to hear how they're operating though, 1 hour queue, people bunched together, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Nice, I have 83 cash worth of games to sell them. Would like to get it done before they drop too much. Would like to hear how they're operating though, 1 hour queue, people bunched together, etc.

Probably have a Covid tax on them :D

You'll end up owing them money!

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Obvious one, but Argos are open again, just got a third party xbox one controller for my PC yesterday in the one in Navan. I don't know how they are for games as I only buy digital these days, but there was no queue when I went down. In and out within a couple minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Argos is click and collect no in-store browsing.

Smyths similarly buy on the site and collect from store.

Not sure on GameStop I'd guess the fact that they're not opening stores yet could be a bad sign or they're just happy to do only only for the time being.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Went down earlier to the one on Liffey St in Dublin. No customers allowed inside, bloke at desk on the door to take orders or games for selling, then 2 more staff in store to get stuff / cash for trade ins. Thought it worked well in the circumstances to be fair, although I was only selling finished games.

Queue wasn't too bad, people kept decent distance and only took about 10-15 mins max

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks for the feedback man, my local one opened for a day before closing, got some backlash as it's part of a shopping center. Will have to wait a bit longer.

GameStop announced store closures tonight Longford Charlestown and Letterkenny gone out in emails to customers up on Facebook too.

Very sad for all the staff in these stores

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sad to hear - condolences to the staff. I'd say the closure of three stores is only the thin end of the wedge as well.

I hope not as the loss of GameStop from the high street and shopping centres leaves Smyths and Argos as the sole providers with the likes of Currys Harvey Norman and a select few Tesco's stocking limited games it'll be very difficult to get boxed video games in Ireland bar the internet soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

From the mail we got about it:
    It says "Don't worry if you have placed a pre-order with us. A store manager will be in contact with you after June 8th"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

GameStop announced store closures tonight Longford Charlestown and Letterkenny gone out in emails to customers up on Facebook too.

Very sad for all the staff in these stores

Apparently Blanchardstown and Mullingar are closing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Hearing Sligo aswell

A lot of the stores listed are inside shopping centre buildings which won't be fully open until mid August. If Henry Street Santry or Liffey Street pop up on the list of closure the end is nigh

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭robojet

Gamestop Liffey Street will likely be the last one to close, as they have a 50 year lease on the building and didn’t put a termination clause in the agreement.

GameStop Ireland could still survive if they bring their prices more in line with other stores. But for that to happen, the upper management needs to be restructured.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hearing Sligo aswell

That was given to me as my next nearest for after my local closes

Charlestown is stripped bare shelving and everything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

robojet wrote: »
    Gamestop Liffey Street will likely be the last one to close, as they have a 50 year lease on the building and didn’t put a termination clause in the agreement.

GameStop Ireland could still survive if they bring their prices more in line with other stores. But for that to happen, the upper management needs to be restructured.

50 year lease!!! Who did they kidnap? Chelsea Clinton.

50 year lease!!! Who did they kidnap? Chelsea Clinton.

I think it is a hold over from Gamesworld before they were bought out by GameStop.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 croker99

Will gamestop be going a midnight launch for the last of us 2 I wonder...? Or any other store

• Advertisement

No way will anyone be doing midnight launch for games again not for a long time

No way will anyone be doing midnight launch for games again not for a long time

Why's that?

Just need people to queue 2m apart, like people do for Tesco etc at the moment..?

GameStop probably won't be reopened anytime soon Smyths are click and collect only I really don't see them opening stores at midnight for a game in a few weeks time.

GameStop probably won't be reopened anytime soon Smyths are click and collect only I really don't see them opening stores at midnight for a game in a few weeks time.

GameStop should be able to open from June 8th like all other non-essential retail stores.

Ok I'm out not going into this discussion any further

Ok I'm out not going into this discussion any further

Eh?

I was just asking a question about getting a game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Probably shouldn't of put 200 deposit on PS5 in GameStop at Stephens green. Just wondering what happens there say if there still about which I think they will come Xmas people in other GameStops that closed that put their deposit down on say the PS5 or new Xbox will they still get it like transferred to other GameStop store? I say GameStop are lucky that PS5 and Xbox have new consoles out near end of the year as they should make a lot then as without this further in the year they definitely might struggle even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Is smyths or GameStop good to order from online, amazon take ages to ship now so I was thinking of preordering last of us off one of um, Ideally to get it luanch day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Bought days gone from Gamestop and it came 2 days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Probably shouldn't of put 200 deposit on PS5 in GameStop at Stephens green. Just wondering what happens there say if there still about which I think they will come Xmas people in other GameStops that closed that put their deposit down on say the PS5 or new Xbox will they still get it like transferred to other GameStop store? I say GameStop are lucky that PS5 and Xbox have new consoles out near end of the year as they should make a lot then as without this further in the year they definitely might struggle even further.

To each their own, but personally I cannot see the value in giving gamestop any money up front for one of these consoles. Its like giving them an unsecured, interest free loan, and if they fold, your money is gone. These consoles are going to be manufactured by the million, you wont have problems getting one.

Advertisement