Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Control (Remedy Games) PC, PS4, XB1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jones

Picked this up for 23 quid on the weekly PS store sale and delighted i did. I'm only about two hours in or so but i'm already hooked. Game is gorgeous (even with the strange ommission of HDR) but i love the story and setting. Only received one of my additional powers so far.

Playing on the pro and havent had any major performance issues yet. Think i'll be getting the DLC if the rest of the game keeps this momentum. Highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

jones wrote: »
    Picked this up for 23 quid on the weekly PS store sale and delighted i did. I'm only about two hours in or so but i'm already hooked. Game is gorgeous (even with the strange ommission of HDR) but i love the story and setting. Only received one of my additional powers so far.

Playing on the pro and havent had any major performance issues yet. Think i'll be getting the DLC if the rest of the game keeps this momentum. Highly recommended

It does keep momentum! Fantastic game imo, can't wait to dig into the DLC shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Cordell

I finished the DLC in 2 sittings, it was quite solid, if not a bit short. But it got me through 2 evening of the lockdown so there's that :)
    The camera side mission was superb :)

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWIKzRhYZm4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Just started and finished Control over the last few days, honestly i was fairly underwhelmed with the whole experience. Which is shocking to me as I a really loved Max Payne 1 and 2 and enjoyed Alan Wake, maybe not as much as i should but i was very late to the AW party. And ive still to crack into Quantum..

But i just felt Control was mostly tedious in both its story telling and gameplay, a few hours in and i couldnt wait for it to be over. The combat was lacking any kind of fluidness, the only thing i felt was good was the picking stuff up and throwing it, which i overused as it becomes OP.

And the story was just a hot mess and lacking any good characters, there were some decent ones but they were massively underused..

The visuals were really something though, gotta give it props for that, but it was missing a good soundtrack to go with it, the constant distorted voices was a terrible idea, sure it would have worked well in some places but to have it pretty much a constant instead of music was just terrible and it really stood out.. The section near the end,
    Where you're listening to the walkman running through the constant ever changing maze was FANTASTIC, they should have done sh!t like that more throughout, that really elevated the experience, just a shame they waited that long and only done it the once
    :(

Maybe i was expecting too much? Probably because i hold Max Payne 1&2 in such high regard, and enjoyed the narrated story telling of AW.. But Control was just a big miss for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

https://twitter.com/remedygames/status/1293532940308160512?s=19
    Will Control Ultimate Edition give me access to Control on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?
    We will offer a free next-gen digital upgrade for those who buy Control Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. For more information on eligibility, stay tuned to our website and community channels.

What if I purchased the original version of Control previously?
    The free upgrade path to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Control is only available for Control Ultimate Edition.

• Advertisement

Ha

So it begins. Paywalls for next gen consoles to have the upgraded version of the games.
    Seriously it's such a waste of time

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Remedy not really covering themselves in glory with Control.

Epic game exclusive on PC., not particularly great performance on base consoles and now putting a next gen console update behind a paywall.

That is not fair, someone needs to pay for the next gen port and distribution costs, and they need to make a profit out of it. You can't expect them to do it for free.

I can max out the graphics for free on PC on the standard version of Control

Why should this be any different for enhanced consoles

Cordell wrote: »
    That is not fair, someone needs to pay for the next gen port and distribution costs, and they need to make a profit out of it. You can't expect them to do it for free.

I think they are the first to charge money for it.

I disagree. The people who supported the developers since its launch by buying the game, the season pass or expansions individually will have ended up paying more and gotten less.

I see people already complaining they just purchased the last expansion and have all the content but won't be getting the upgrade.

At the very least a cheap upgrade path should be offered to these users.

• Advertisement

Because it's not the same, on the PC you turn on options that are already implemented and tested and already shipped with the game. You already paid for them, they are not free, you pay for the RT/DLSS implementation costs even if you run in on AMD GPU.

Next gen console ports will need actual development to implement RT support, they will need to tweak settings and go through QA again, they need to ship the new ports digitally, all this is at a cost that was not covered initially. Why do you want them to cover it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Not that this is acceptable or anything - indeed, it’s a pretty cheeky move - but I’d say 505 Games probably had more to do with this decision than Remedy!

Zero question though that at the very least those who’ve picked up the expansions separately should be entitled to the upgrade. Would be great if the core game owners got it too, but certainly for those who own everything that’s in the ultimate edition should get the next gen version... particularly when the current gen version was quite shaky.

Azza wrote: »
    I think they are the first to charge money for it.

I disagree. The people who supported the developers since its launch by buying the game, the season pass or expansions individually will have ended up paying more and gotten less.

I see people already complaining they just purchased the last expansion and have all the content but won't be getting the upgrade.

At the very least a cheap upgrade path should be offered to these users.

Yes, I agree here, maybe they should, and maybe MS and Sony should cover the costs as this is one of the very few games that can showcase the new RT and DLSS equivalent features.

But feeling cheated that what you got is less than what others get is not right, all that matters is that you got what you paid for. Apparently the ultimate edition will be e40 for the game and expansions, should I feel cheated that I paid 60 for the game alone and then some on the first DLC and some more again on the second when it's out? Well, I don't :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Next gen console ports will need actual development to implement RT support, they will need to tweak settings and go through QA again, they need to ship the new ports digitally, all this is at a cost that was not covered initially. Why do you want them to cover it?

Nobody could deny a next gen version will take some extra investment, but I think what stings here that people who’ve gone out of their way to support the game at full price and bought the DLC are being a bit hard done by. In an ideal world, you’d like to see those folk treated well when there are ‘free’ next-gen upgrades being offered up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not that this is acceptable or anything - indeed, it’s a pretty cheeky move - but I’d say 505 Games probably had more to do with this decision than Remedy!

Zero question thought that at the very least those who’ve picked up the expansions separately should be entitled to the upgrade. Would be great if the core game owners got it too, but certainly for those who own everything that’s in the ultimate edition should get the next gen version... particularly when the current gen version was quite shaky.

I'd agree. The PS Store can easily recognise if someone has bought the game and DLCs separately. It even marks 'Ultimate Editions' as unavailable if you already own the main game because you'd be buying the game twice. So it should be able to recognise if you've bought the game and DLCs (and therefore the equivalent of the Ultimate Edition) and make the upgrade available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Dick move, 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Didn't Sony only implement the requirement that PS4 games must be able to run on the PS5 from July of this year. And Control came out last year, so they do have to do additional work to get it to a PS5 version. I don't see anything wrong with it. I'll pick up the Ultimate Edition when it's on sale and get the PS5 version then at some stage, as I haven't played the DLC and it's still too soon to play through it again for me. Companies that have already said they will be giving the PS5 version for free are mostly games that aren't out yet?

Didn't Sony only implement the requirement that PS4 games must be able to run on the PS5 from July of this year. And Control came out last year, so they do have to do additional work to get it to a PS5 version. I don't see anything wrong with it. I'll pick up the Ultimate Edition when it's on sale and get the PS5 version then at some stage, as I haven't played the DLC and it's still too soon to play through it again for me. Companies that have already said they will be giving the PS5 version for free are mostly games that aren't out yet?

I think the issue is if you bought the normal version of Control and then the DLCs, they'll be playable on PS5 (using whatever automatic upscaling is available), but only those who bought the Ultimate Edition can upgrade for free to the PS5 version which is specially optimised for PS5 (and will therefore run/perform better than the upscaled version).

It's essentially punishing those who supported the game early. I don't think it's huge issue, but it's still a bad move by the publishers (who I assume are behind the decision).

Fair point. But I'll give Remedy a pass on this. To me it was a fantastic, unique game (all games are technically the same, this one just ticked all the right boxes for me). I'll definitely buy it again, but having platinumed it I'll wait a while, and I really hope there will be more, they've built an amazing world which I'm massively looking forward to exploring more of.

Be a different story if it was the usual cronies of EA, 2K, etc who did something like this.

It interested me at the time but I never pulled the trigger. Might buy the ps5 version alright. Know nothing of Alan Wake so whatever part of the dlc or references to him etc are going to be pretty lost on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Penn wrote: »
    It interested me at the time but I never pulled the trigger. Might buy the ps5 version alright. Know nothing of Alan Wake so whatever part of the dlc or references to him etc are going to be pretty lost on me.

I was really hoping for an Alan Wake remaster was going to be announced for ps4/ps5. Never got to play it but sounded like my cup of tee. Would make me but control again and the season pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Alan wake was brilliant. The nods to it in control were brill too and the original dlc was also great. Nearly worth picking up a 360 to play both if ya ain't got a pc.

recyclops wrote: »
    Alan wake was brilliant. The nods to it in control were brill too and the original dlc was also great. Nearly worth picking up a 360 to play both if ya ain't got a pc.

This. I'm hoping to be able to finally upgrade the GPU in the coming couple of months, so I'll have a hop off this and Quantum Break (which is also possibly in the same RCU?!), because I'd imagine like above the AWE dlc will be lost on me otherwise.

Would be interested to hear from someone who does play the AWE dlc but hasn't played Alan Wake. I think it would be mad to be very connected to it considering a lot of people may never have played Alan Wake. Like Zero, I was hoping for an Alan Wake remaster across all platforms, but it didn't happen, and doesn't look like it will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

While it may be a cheeky move by the publisher, how offended can I be as I sit on my hands waiting for it to be included on game pass before I "buy".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It is kind of a dick move, but the fact that it released a full year ago is their saving grace. I personally don't feel that I am entitled to a PS5 version for free.
    While it may be a cheeky move by the publisher, how offended can I be as I sit on my hands waiting for it to be included on game pass before I "buy".

Its on Playstation now, if you have a PS4 you can just sign up for the 7-day trial and download it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Because it's not the same, on the PC you turn on options that are already implemented and tested and already shipped with the game. You already paid for them, they are not free, you pay for the RT/DLSS implementation costs even if you run in on AMD GPU.

Is there any indication that they are going to implement anything in terms of graphics that is not already in the PC version?
    If no, then the next gen upgrade charge is just for them play-testing the best settings for on the PS5/XBox X?
    And won't this will be paid for anyway by those who buy the game for the first time on the next gen consoles?
    Will they not make their money back if no-one who already owns the game on current consoles buys the upgrade?

Even if it's the same features there is a different GPU and a totally different API on the PS5, so yes, there will be development and QA work needed to bring the existing RT and DLSS features from PC to consoles. I'm going to stop defending them, as myself I was doing it for free :) but just wanted to make this point, that is not exactly reasonable to expect stuff for free. You paid for the current gen version, you got the current gen version, why do you feel that you need to get another version for another platform for free?

"Even if it's the same features there is a different GPU and a totally different API on the PS5, so yes, there will be development and QA work needed to bring the existing RT and DLSS features from PC to consoles."

DLSS and the current RT implementation is Nvidia specific. AMD would have to come up with their own equivalents and the developer would then have to implement them if those are the features they want to run on next gen consoles, though we don't know what enhancements will be used yet. No guarantee either of these features would be implemented.

If those features are coming yes there would be development costs involved but it also opens the possibility of an update for AMD GPU users on PC. I'm wondering how AMD PC gamers would feel if they where told an update was coming for the game but those who had already bought the non enhanced edition would have to pay for the game again to get them. If they did charge for an update it would be seen the as the developers punishing AMD users over Nvidia. If AMD users get a free update, why should they get it free over console users?
    "why do you feel that you need to get another version for another platform for free? "

The issue is why do specific current gen users get the update on another platform for free and other users, users who supported the developers from the beginning and payed more as a result not get the update for free.

At the very least an extremely cheap upgrade path should be offered to those users no more than €10 but really it should be more like €5.

At the moment it just seems like an underhand method to force people to double dip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Even if it's the same features there is a different GPU and a totally different API on the PS5, so yes, there will be development and QA work needed to bring the existing RT and DLSS features from PC to consoles. I'm going to stop defending them, as myself I was doing it for free :) but just wanted to make this point, that is not exactly reasonable to expect stuff for free.

Even if it is already paid for by those buying the ultimate edition for the next-gen consoles? They are doing all of this work anyway for the dedicated next-gen releases.
    You paid for the current gen version, you got the current gen version, why do you feel that you need to get another version for another platform for free?

Because it's just a graphical upgrade for a new iteration of the same platform (PS4-PS5 or Xbox1-Xbox X)?
    Would it not be like buying a new GPU with DX12 support and then steam expecting you to pay for to upgrade all of your already owned games to utilise it?

• Advertisement

No guarantee either of these features would be implemented
    If they don't then why would you buy it? Just run the old gen version with better performance.
    DLSS and the current RT implementation is Nvidia specific
    That was my point as well. If they will bring these on the next gen consoles they will have to do some more work, there will be equivalent APIs on both systems.

I don't agree with the all how would some feel if some others get a better deal.
    Would it not be like buying a new GPU with DX12 support and then steam expecting you to pay for to upgrade all of your already owned games to utilise it?
    No, not the same. You are not running the old version on new hardware, you are getting a new version for new hardware.

Advertisement