Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Rgb.ie

Also -

"Long ago, we looked upon a foreboding sky. The memory of the star that threatened all, burns eternal in our hearts."

This is a reference to Meteor ( at the end of the original ) in a remake? Why would the narrator mention this ..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Confirmed that they are going to "tweak" the story.

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/news/news-16516-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake
    %EF%BF%BDMore-Work--%EF%BF%BD-to-be-Added-to-Story.html

I imagine any and all changes would just have to do with Zack and giving him a bit more depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Rgb.ie wrote: »
    Also -

"Long ago, we looked upon a foreboding sky. The memory of the star that threatened all, burns eternal in our hearts."

This is a reference to Meteor ( at the end of the original ) in a remake? Why would the narrator mention this ..

I'd say he's supposed to be talking from a fan's perspective rather than an in game character. That WE as fans looked upon the sky and the memory (of final fantasy VII) is burning in us now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Also -

I took it to be more of a...."meta-narration". The we is us, as fans. Essentially the gist of the trailer was "we were remembering the original and yearning for a remake, and here it is". Also, I think they were trying to make people think it was a sequel initially before the word "REMAKE" flashed up.

Overall I'm mainly feeling positive about this. As someone above said, the original will still always be there, so even if they tweak things I'll take it for what it is - a remake with, I assume, a lot of hindsight from SquareEnix thrown in. If it's a disaster, the original will always still be there.

Things I would particularly look forward to;
    - Graphical update of locations - Midgar slums, Gold Saucer, Wutai, Cosmo Canyon, Nibelheim could all look pretty spectacular.
    - Updated soundtrack (all the same music - but with orchestral or piano pieces for location background music would be nice)

Things I would welcome being "tweaked";
    - Materia system (they should have learned a lot about various battle and character progression systems in the intervening 20 years so I wouldn't be against some fairly heavy changes to the original materia system)
    - Additional side quests would be ok to bring a few surprises to those who've played through countless times (and hey, remember the 1/36 soldier...?)
    - The translation, as mentioned above. Though leaving in a few easter eggs ("Beacause"/"This guy are sick") would bring a smile.

Things I wouldn't want to be tweaked;
    - Someone above called it "camp" and I would agree that the offbeat nature of many parts of the world and its inhabitants would be a shame to lose, but could be lost in search of more realism and grit. From the squatting/Honey Bee/crossdressing stuff, to the ShinRa execs, to Yuffie's story and the weirdness of countless minor characters, it all added a charm (and dare I say a unique Japanese-ness) to the setting. I would worry it will try cater too much to broad tastes and lose some of the weirdness.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope they dont change the music too much , Its my favourite music from any of the FF Games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Evade

abelard wrote: »
    Things I would welcome being "tweaked";
    - Materia system (they should have learned a lot about various battle and character progression systems in the intervening 20 years so I wouldn't be against some fairly heavy changes to the original materia system)
    - Additional side quests would be ok to bring a few surprises to those who've played through countless times (and hey, remember the 1/36 soldier...?)
    If they were smart they'd keep the original system, glitches and all, and have an updated system as an option.
    abelard wrote: »
    Things I wouldn't want to be tweaked;
    - Someone above called it "camp" and I would agree that the offbeat nature of many parts of the world and its inhabitants would be a shame to lose, but could be lost in search of more realism and grit. From the squatting/Honey Bee/crossdressing stuff, to the ShinRa execs, to Yuffie's story and the weirdness of countless minor characters, it all added a charm (and dare I say a unique Japanese-ness) to the setting. I would worry it will try cater too much to broad tastes and lose some of the weirdness.
    It wouldn't be the same game without the weirdness.

I hope they dont change the music too much , Its my favourite music from any of the FF Games.

Yeah I wouldn't actually change the score at all - just update or remaster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I'm sad...FFVII is the greatest game I've ever played, I don't think anyone should be allowed touch It. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hated what they did with the score in the FFX remaster. It wasn't terrible but just thought the instrument arrangements were so much better in the original.

In the case of FFVII the score desperately needs an update. While it's not the best FF soundtrack the compositions are still amazing. However the sound engineers really let Uematsu down. The instruments used sound absolutely dreadful. Despite the snes using samples that have been compressed to being nearly unrecognisable the instruments used in the SNES FF games sound so much better and then in FF8 they are all really high quality.

So don't touch the compositions, just use the same midi arrangements and give them the instruments they deserve and less farty trumpets.

• I hope they dont change the music too much , Its my favourite music from any of the FF Games.

I hope they used the updated versions to be honest. There was a music mod for the PC version that was a magnitude better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'm sad...FFVII is the greatest game I've ever played, I don't think anyone should be allowed touch It. :(

They won't touch it, you'll be allowed to keep the version(s) you have now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

They won't touch it, you'll be allowed to keep the version(s) you have now.

I understand that of course. But obviously I will have to buy and play this, and listen to the world go on about It. I don't know It just seems wrong. Like Hulk Hogan wrestling in the 00's maybe I'm just being melodramatic.

• I understand that of course. But obviously I will have to buy and play this, and listen to the world go on about It. I don't know It just seems wrong. Like Hulk Hogan wrestling in the 00's maybe I'm just being melodramatic.

I completely agree. Hulk Hogan was nothing short of fantastic in the 00's :pac:

I can't wait for this remaster

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If they touch Cid or Red XIII's theme I won't be a happy camper.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. As others have said, the original will still be there.

The updated Knights of the Round summon will be pretty spectacular, I should think.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hope they used the updated versions to be honest. There was a music mod for the PC version that was a magnitude better.

Did it just sound better or did they do something else too it?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. As others have said, the original will still be there.

The updated Knights of the Round summon will be pretty spectacular, I should think.

Oh god, there's a change I'd welcome. Button to skip summon sequences. Great the first few times, eventually torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I understand that of course. But obviously I will have to buy and play this, and listen to the world go on about It. I don't know It just seems wrong. Like Hulk Hogan wrestling in the 00's maybe I'm just being melodramatic.

I do get what you mean, it will be a crying shame if they balls it up because it could be something wonderful. But on the other hand they can never take away the old one, so I say go for it - let's see what they can do.

I'm going to try and treat it like a new game and enjoy it as such. I mean they will change things, there's 20 years in the interim, they'll probably try to please old fans and draw in a new generation and... well that rarely works. So I'm going to try to look at it with fresh eyes.

If I don't likes what I sees, I'm going to go back to the old one. :pac:

On the score, I don't think they should change a thing. Bar throwing away the MIDI and getting a proper orchestra to do it.

• Did it just sound better or did they do something else too it?

I recall it was more orchestral and less midi sounding

I recall it was more orchestral and less midi sounding

Well I'd be happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Hercule

Played through an upscaled Tifa's bootleg version of the original game on PC just before Christmas last year. I can safely say it is not a case of rose-tinted goggles. (Albeit with a significant graphical + sound upgrade) the game has great game-feel and charm which stands the test of time.

I can almost narrate entire scenes from the game (having it played it to death when I was in my teens) and despite that, it's still enjoyable.

I am cautiously optimistic about the remake - Ultimately Square aren't immune to ****ups (see FFX14release 1) and they can get the remake very wrong, but this is their prized possession - It's unlikely they will allow it to be butchered or sullied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

They should get The Black Mages to redo the whole score and offer it as a bonus option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I hated what they did with the score in the FFX remaster. It wasn't terrible but just thought the instrument arrangements were so much better in the original.

In the case of FFVII the score desperately needs an update. While it's not the best FF soundtrack the compositions are still amazing. However the sound engineers really let Uematsu down. The instruments used sound absolutely dreadful. Despite the snes using samples that have been compressed to being nearly unrecognisable the instruments used in the SNES FF games sound so much better and then in FF8 they are all really high quality.

So don't touch the compositions, just use the same midi arrangements and give them the instruments they deserve and less farty trumpets.

Not sure now but didn't the recent version of x sort that, could have sworn i read it had both in it.

Xenji wrote: »
    They should get The Black Mages to redo the whole score and offer it as a bonus option :D

They should use the black mages version of one winged angel but leave the rest alone :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hopefully you can skip/shorten the attack sequences! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch the graphics, it's not what the original creators intended. I installed the fan translation and the 60 fps battles only myself. It wouldn't be FF7 to me if the game didn't have jarring jumps in model quality :P

IIRC, Square Enix decided to use two separate models... one of exploring, other for battles, to appease both crowds of those familiar of previous FF games and to those wanting the usage of the new 3D capabilities of the PS1. Past FF8 onwards they've been using the same models in both.

I imagine at this point they'd still be doing that trend since FF8, and won't be resorting back to polygonal looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I'm still in awe of this since yesterday morning.

This developed on a floor that doesn't exist and is inaccessible by elevator on Tokyo HQ.

I strongly believe this remake has been in development for at least 3 years
    There are swathes of highly talented people in Square that were apparently working on nothing and rumours of a secret project which many thought was XVI or a new IP, but it never showed until now.

Square has stated time and again in the past that they would only remake VII if they managed to make a game that was FINALLY equal to or superior to VII in their eyes, they must believe that XV is that game.

But seriously this will be the most MONUMENTAL task this company ever undertakes, how they are going to recreate a game with all it s bizaree and delicate intricasies that by their own words they said would take 40 years to remake, people are going to experience a Phantom Menace disappointment level event but this time for the gaming industry

This was was my most wished for piece of never happening stick your hopes media ever and I can't believe that is happening :D Basically the Holy Grail.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Simpsons creators have said they will stop making the show when it grows stale or tired.

Just sayin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

Also -

I figured that he was talking to the player, ie. we know ye've been waiting so long for the remake and now it's here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,777 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well looks like Nomura says he'll be changing the storyline. I can see this being a total disaster although there's some sickos out there that do like Advent Children.
    BeerWolf wrote: »
    IIRC, Square Enix decided to use two separate models... one of exploring, other for battles, to appease both crowds of those familiar of previous FF games and to those wanting the usage of the new 3D capabilities of the PS1. Past FF8 onwards they've been using the same models in both.

I imagine at this point they'd still be doing that trend since FF8, and won't be resorting back to polygonal looks.

Square Enix can say all they like but the real reason is that they used lower poly characters on the field and battles to save processor cycles. The Battle Engine being turn based could run a lot slower so they used that to bump up polygon counts over the field. That's all there is too it. Pretty sure FF8 does the same thing it's just that in FF8 the character models are similarly proportioned inlike the 'popeye' armed models in FF7.

Also the way the character model keeps changing in cutscenes is to do with the long development time of FF7. Early renders were done 3 years before the last FMV renders and in that time there was a big jump in quality. Early renders had the popeye armed models while the FMV's with the high quality characters in them were the first work by the Hawaiian team that would make Spirits Within.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nomura hinting at FF V&VI remakes.
    “Considering that we have remakes of Final Fantasy up to IV and then we have VII — I’ve been working with Mr. [Yoshinori] Kitase since Final Fantasy V, and we’ve noticed that V and VI are missing. That bothers me,” Nomura said. “How come we skipped over those two?”

Advertisement