Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HIGHSCORE CHALLENGE

• 07-11-2018 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭

OK, straight into what this thread is about. A game will be chosen every week(from MAME) and you have to put your highscore up here. That's it.

Only rule is, you must only use 4 Credits to get that score.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

1942 (WEEK 1)

1942 (Revision b.) 1942b.zip

In this game highscores don't carry over if you press continue so be ready to write down a particulary good score after every play.

Score 14580

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd be down for a weekly highscore challenge again, we did it a few times here in the past. Best to stick up a screenshot from the game with the score, it's possible to do with MAME.

Just one thing to note, go with 1 credit. It's generally the standard for highscore challenges (and leads to people trying to 1cc a game). Sure a lot of games reset the score after you lose a credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭geotrig

ha you dont expect us to play games :pac: ...... heathen !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Nice will get you a score tomorrow.

Bit unfair IMO with only 4 attempts if you have never played the game before but your rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So am I allowed to play this on my original Xbox (it has that coinops malarkey on it) or some other way or does it have to be mame on PC? I'd probably just take a photo of the screen for proof (of how s*it I am)

I'd have liked play once for practice, then next scores counts, but i don't mind really.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

So am I allowed to play this on my original Xbox (it has that coinops malarkey on it) or some other way or does it have to be mame on PC?

My concern would have been that coinops might have a limited romset, but after having a look it looks like the kitchen sink has been included with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Four attempts is crazy, you should be able to practice as much as you want beforehand and take the score from one run. One credit from the start of the game makes sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Four attempts is crazy, you should be able to practice as much as you want beforehand and take the score from one run. One credit from the start of the game makes sense to me.
    I'd agree with the single credit TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

This. I'd also say players should be using the exact same version of MAME for this, as there can be significant differences between old and new versions of MAME. There should also be a closing date, and a poll in a separate thread to choose the next game.

• Advertisement

Date opened and closeing date with be added to future starting posts.

Inviere wrote: »
    This. I'd also say players should be using the exact same version of MAME for this, as there can be significant differences between old and new versions of MAME. There should also be a closing date, and a poll in a separate thread to choose the next game.

Then I'm out, and since this is only for fun I really don't see the need for such specifics.

Then I'm out, and since this is only for fun I really don't see the need for such specifics.

You're out because everyone should be playing the same game & emulator? Fair enough.

You're out because everyone should be playing the same game & emulator? Fair enough.

No, I'm out because I don't have MAME.

That kinda screws you regardless then no?

That kinda screws you regardless then no?

I have coinops on the Xbox, so no idea how, or what it runs off, and no real interest, I'm not a purist (at all) with arcade emulation but it plays games of a retro nature. I'm sure there'd have been games that aren't on it but plenty are, but not to worry.

So am I allowed to play this on my original Xbox (it has that coinops malarkey on it) or some other way or does it have to be mame on PC? I'd probably just take a photo of the screen for proof (of how s*it I am)

I'd have liked play once for practice, then next scores counts, but i don't mind really.

Ah, just reading properly here, you're using CoinOps on an Xbox. That's fair enough, it doesn't have to be the latest/greatest version of MAME. Can you find out what version of MAME is in that build of CoinOps, & we can all just grab that one & use it?

Anyone on PC can grab any version of MAME here - https://www.mamedev.org/oldrel.html

I'm not a purist (at all) with arcade emulation

It's absolutely nothing at all to do with purism (I think the term emulation purist is a bit of an oxymoron anyway), it's more to do with ensuring a level playing field. Older version of MAME may differ in how they emulate certain games compared to newer versions. This may make the game harder/easier for different people, so in a high score competition it's a bit of an arseways to do it. Best practice would be everyone playing the same version of the emulator.

Coin ops 8 is Mame 0.84
    I say just play it. Its only fun.

eddhorse wrote: »
    I say just play it. Its only fun.

In hindsight, agreed, to get it up and running it should be as easy as possible to engage in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

My best was 105060 to the 3rd level.

465893.jpg

Here are all four credits/attempts:
    465894.jpg

Good fun game but four credits is quite enough for me :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I last played this in September on the PlayStation but I downloaded MAME just for this. I forgot how intense this game was once you get into it and you're chasing scores. 357170

received-341986479937212.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Whats up next week? I'll definitely play this, I think any version of MAME or actual board, it's just a bit of fun.
    Suggestions:
    Metro-Cross
    Track and field

• Registered Users Posts: 34,283 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I think 1942 is actually on that vertical 60 in 1 multi board which I have in one of my cabs. Will take a look this evening and see if I can get a score up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

o1s1n wrote: »
    I think 1942 is actually on that vertical 60 in 1 multi board which I have in one of my cabs. Will take a look this evening and see if I can get a score up. :)

It's on those 60in1's alright

Yep 60 in 1 has an ok version.

I have some scores from my office high score table. The boss has 208,000 or something. Cant go beating that.

Week 2
    DiG DuG

Dig Dug (Rev. 2) digdug.zip

(Monday 19th of the 11th to Monday the 26th)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Must remember to have a go at this. Too bad I missed 1942, good fun :)

Great game, 'Intruction manual' below.
    https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Dig_Dug/Getting_Started

• Advertisement

Lovely game.

Score 7820

Advertisement