Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locks for Patio Doors

• 03-05-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone point me to some links for patio locks that they have found to be secure.

I came across one called ives lock on this website http://ivesslock.com/ but am looking for reviews.

Has anyone used them before or have alternative suggestions that they have used?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Verywell.
    I've moved this to DIY for you. You will get better info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭hanloj1

This is what i went with: http://cgi.ebay.ie/YALE-PATIO-DOOR-LOCK-WHITE-FINISH-P114WE-BNIB-/270736289004?pt=UK_HaG_Lock_Safes_GL&hash=item3f0923ecec

one for top and bottom. worth the money in my opinion and they have good reviews online.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

Are they easy to fit?

Do they replace the lock that is already there or are they an added lock?

Thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

Easiest thing to do is when the door is in the open position place a length of timber along the runner at the top of the door frame, it will be about 32mm square and about 300mm long. This prevents the door being lifted in the closed position and you don't see it when the door is closed and is far neater looking, I usually do this when installing alarm contacts on the door.

handy enough to fit. painfull thinking your drilling into the door though. you still have the original lock there. i feel alot safer with them in. there are other options out there.

• Advertisement

I cant tell from the summary on ebay but do you need keys to use them? As I already have a lock I would rather something without another set of keys.

yeah you get one key per lock. the one you have is handy in that sense. i just wanted to go with a brand i knew. you could go with those bars that go between the handle and the frame of door. similar to the bit of timber mentioned above. here's few:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sliding-Patio-Door-Lock-Seco-Loc-Bar-6000-Dark-Bronze-/250427779174?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a4ea8a866

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Sliding-Glass-Patio-Door-Bar-Lock-Bronze-/370413023113?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563e562f89

Thanks for that.

The problem that i have it that the slider part of my door is outside. From what I can see these would not work then?

Sorry I misread, it actually goes upwards between floor and handle?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Irvin01

It is really important to keep the house safe and secure from theft, so it is always better to buy a patio door which has the facility of lock. These days patio doors are available which has locks, purchasing these kinds of patio door is always better. Online stores also provide this kind of doors, buying it from there is the best option as one can avail lots of discounts and offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 accord2001

one quick question i have a patio sliding door that opens from right and the actually door sitting one the far side of the tracks which makes it impossible to have extra security lock on top left corner. ie any lock there will prevent door sliding any good suggestion please

accord2001 wrote: »
    one quick question i have a patio sliding door that opens from right and the actually door sitting one the far side of the tracks which makes it impossible to have extra security lock on top left corner. ie any lock there will prevent door sliding any good suggestion please

Hi. Can you load up a pic for us?

Advertisement