Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stores Closing in Sligo **mod warning post #720**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭red bellied

Where is the best value to buy tiles in the Sligo area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Where is the best value to buy tiles in the Sligo area?

depends on your budget, BTW have really nice quallity and very good adhesive and grout (dont buy cheap grout it makes even nice tiles look cheap!) Tubs and tiles are a bit the same, Gilroys have from cheap to expensive (I think they are a bit over priced on a lot tiles though). Meehan has nice selection too. I do busnis the most with BTW because they have my favourite adhesive and nice grout (colours and very smooth). There is a new tile store opened in Coolony but dont know it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

I was past Paddy Power 4pm yesterday and 2pm today and they were closed, Is the punters friend gone too

Market Cross. Near Shoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I was past Paddy Power 4pm yesterday and 2pm today and they were closed, Is the punters friend gone too

think it was only closed for the day or two, noticed a poster when i was passing it in the week about being closed for some reason, cant see the bookies closing, especilay at the mo, will always be ones trying to make a few quick bucks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think bookies are usually one of the last to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

There seems to be an awful lot of bookies in Sligo at the moment though.

CSC wrote: »
    There seems to be an awful lot of bookies in Sligo at the moment though.

Especially on that street. Its pretty grim along there now. I had to walk it late one evening last week and it wasn't nice, nobody about except a few falling out of Harrys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

High street/Connolly street is looking pretty grim at the moment. Numerous pubs have closed up there in the last few years also if I remember correctly. I wonder how Harrys is doing now, I'd assume still as busy due to the cheap price of drink there.

CSC wrote: »
    High street/Connolly street is looking pretty grim at the moment. Numerous pubs have closed up there in the last few years also if I remember correctly. I wonder how Harrys is doing now, I'd assume still as busy due to the cheap price of drink there.

Yeah, Harrys won't suffer I'd say - the boom years are ahead for them! 'Tis far from fancy wines we were reared - back to basics now. :)

I used to have a shop along there, it was hard enough then, I don't know how the few who are left are managing. It was so quiet even during Christmas rush along that street. I really hope Taheneys do okay, they offer great service and price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭red bellied

Paddy Powers in Market Street is the busiest bookies in the town. They are supposed to be opening another shop beside Carrs pub. Lee Rhodes besides Feehilys pub is gone. Ladbrokes have four shops in town which is a ridiculous amount for a town the size of Sligo. Two of them are facing closure shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Was in toy city last week and it was like a zoo with a lot of the shelves cleared and a queue the length of the shop. Went back in again at the weekend and got a new car seat for the little one half price. (nice one) I've discovered that they are not just getting rid of their stock in the shop, they are getting deliveries in all the time. Its worth going in periodically especially for nursery stuff. They don't even put stuff on the shelves now, its all in boxes and it literally runs out the door. Staff didn't say anything about a closure. To quote: 'Not a word, I haven't been given my two weeks yet anyway' When I was looking at the seat I wanted, I was told they'd all be gone by the end of the day and there was about 12 there boxed. Staff are saying it gets busy at about 3 ish, so worth going up earlier if anyone is interested.

Toycity stores would have ordered this stock about a year ago, it would have been too late to cancel orders when/if they decided to close. It must be hard for the staff, with no firm announcement/closing date. They are most definitely selling all that stock at a loss.

Don't think so sueme, I'm most likely wrong, but someone told me (who runs a business) that the general markup on stock is around 60%. Doubt they'd be flogging enough to cover the lease and wages costs though.

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Don't think so sueme, I'm most likely wrong, but someone told me (who runs a business) that the general markup on stock is around 60%. Doubt they'd be flogging enough to cover the lease and wages costs though.

It depends on what stock though.

Toys are about 25%, Nursery 30%. Clothes 200%, Electricals 25%, Household 70%, all approximate but close.

sueme wrote: »
    It depends on what stock though.

Toys are about 25%, Nursery 30%. Clothes 200%, Electricals 25%, Household 70%, all approximate but close.

Now there's a suprise. Wahey rip off ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Big_Mac wrote: »
    Now there's a suprise. Wahey rip off ireland!

:o

The mark ups on items are pretty standard no matter what country you are in
    Its the costs and the value of the currency that change

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

elshambo wrote: »
    :o

The mark ups on items are pretty standard no matter what country you are in
    Its the costs and the value of the currency that change

but that doesn't explain the 200% mark up on clothing--the currency has changed--perhaps the costs have changed...but i sure as s...hit have'nt seen a 200%change in my shiiitt!

dardevle wrote: »
    but that doesn't explain the 200% mark up on clothing--the currency has changed--perhaps the costs have changed...but i sure as s...hit have'nt seen a 200%change in my shiiitt!

Dont forget that they might not sell all stock, and after a season it's out of fashion. Its very hard to make a succesfull clothes shop (accoording to someone I know with one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I doubt if there is a 200% mark up on clothes - I have personally seen the trade and retail price lists of a well known brand and the mark up is 50%. ie buy for 100 euro sell for 150 euro at full retail price. Still is easy money if enough people buy at rrp.

• Advertisement

jimmmy wrote: »
    I doubt if there is a 200% mark up on clothes - I have personally seen the trade and retail price lists of a well known brand and the mark up is 50%. ie buy for 100 euro sell for 150 euro at full retail price. Still is easy money if enough people buy at rrp.

Almost e30 of that rrp you have to give the taxman. That leaves you e20, include your transport, rent, power, insurance, staff costs (is it a Bank Holiday? are you closed but still have to pay staff?), the shelf the item is sitting on, etc etc etc. and you owe someone, never mind make a profit! :D

The examiner has gone into Chartbusters. 20 shops are meant to be profitable, 20 to close. Staff in Sligo are worried that they are in line for the chop as revenues have fallen heavily in the last year.

thanks big mac and bobcar for letting us know about toycity getting new stuff in, we just bought some nursery stuff really cheap for our new edition, ITS GONNA BE A........... GIRL!!! we had our scan today

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Congrats to yourself and Mrs T.

Glad you got some good value. Congrats Mrs and Mr T (Gotta love that name)

I wish you the best of luck with your new impending arrival. We had a little girl 7 months ago and things have never been the same since (in a good way)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

thanks big mac and bobcar for letting us know about toycity getting new stuff in, we just bought some nursery stuff really cheap for our new edition, ITS GONNA BE A........... GIRL!!! we had our scan today

Brilliant news,congratulations to you both

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

OOOH Congratulations :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

they didnt replace the people who left, and staff in grange is worried

Sorry to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

i heard local teaders complaining on the radio about sligo people driving up north for their shopping...thats a bit rich concidering most of them(traders)had their construction work done by northern contractors in recent years...you live by the sword,you die by the sword

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

awww thats great news:D

Advertisement