Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

removing a radiator??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Thomyokk wrote: »
    You're still left with the water at ground level in the pipework

This is killing me. Several of my posts aren't posting & I'm typing the same thing several times. Is it just me or has Boards been really bad this week?

The water left in the pipework is below rad level & wont effect blanking the pipes above the floor as the water has no pressure now or almost no pressure.

If you need to work on the pipes under the floor any water in the pipes will slowly run onto the concrete under the floor. This will dry within an hour or so & does no damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭anheneti

leinster93 wrote: »
    For compression fittings you will need PTFE tape.

1. Put two loops of ptfe tape around thread of compression fitting

2. you will need two spanners - one to tighten nut and the other to hold while tightening

(Do not put PTFE on the thread of a compression fitting)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭leinster93

anheneti wrote: »
    For compression fittings you will need PTFE tape.

1. Put two loops of ptfe tape around thread of compression fitting

2. you will need two spanners - one to tighten nut and the other to hold while tightening

(Do not put PTFE on the thread of a compression fitting)

As this is the DIY forum, care to elaborate on why, so one can learn from another persons mistakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP I don't understand why you wouldn't just leave the rad under the desk.

I have a desk within an alcove and a rad underneath and its a non issue.
    The room keeps a heat source and I have a desk....

anheneti wrote: »

As this is the DIY forum care to elaborate why so one can learn from another persons mistakes?

I often suggest if a poster has a plumbing question that they should ask in the plumbing forum even if they plan on doing it themselves.

You never put tape on the threads of a compression fitting as the threads never leak. The fitting can only fail at the olive/ ring. This is where plumbers put the tape. It's a complete waste of time & tape putting it on the threads. Personally I only use tape in the very rare situation where the fitting starts weeping. otherwise I don't use tape at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭leinster93

Sleeper12 wrote: »

I often suggest if a poster has a plumbing question that they should ask in the plumbing forum even if they plan on doing it themselves.

You never put tape on the threads of a compression fitting as the threads never leak. The fitting can only fail at the olive/ ring. This is where plumbers put the tape. It's a complete waste of time & tape putting it on the threads. Personally I only use tape in the very rare situation where the fitting starts weeping. otherwise I don't use tape at all

No problem. I considered this after posting. Thanks I understand the reasoning. I have seen on occasion where an old fitting is leaking and in fear of tightening the nut too much, then ptfe is placed around the olive and the threads. Lazy way out I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

tradesman wrote: »
    Leave the pipes above ground. Cut off using proper pipe cutting tool then fit a push on stop cap. Make sure the pipe is cut properly or you will damage the ring inside the cap

This is what I had been thinking. The desk would be there so it would block the pipes from sight and from accidentally walking into them. Easy enough to knock together something to cover them if need be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

What tool is best for cutting a rad pipe?

Thomyokk wrote:
    What tool is best for cutting a rad pipe?

What type of pipe is it? Qualpex, copper, gun bar etc? Different tools for different types of pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

What type of pipe is it? Qualpex, copper, gun bar etc? Different tools for different types of pipe

Copper

• Advertisement

Your proposal is madness op. How big can the radiator be that it would prevent putting in a computer desk. I think it's only an excuse. if you must utilise that space the get a desk where the back end of it will oversail the radiator. If need be you could even make a cutout on one side of the desk to accommodate the radiator.

Sure the room may not be in use at the moment and not be causing a problem but if you remove the only heat source and then use the room the moisture you exhale may condense on the cold surfaces and cause mold.

Did you ever think that the electric heater would actually occupy space also? And being free standing, it would probably be even more obtrusive than a wall mounted rad. They also would be a far greater fire hazard than a normal radiator.

If the radiator is bulky and in poor condition and you really want to change it then there are options for skinny radiators that won't take up as much space. But you're getting into a lot of work and effort just to save an inch or two of space.

I'd let it be OP. Anyone who comes into the room afterwards will be like "where the f* is the radiator gone?"
    Anyway, it is your father's house so it's not for you to dictate what is done with the place.

An excuse? What do mean?

The radiator is in the way of the desk and the back end of the desk will not accommodate it as you suggest. This is just the way the way it is.

Obviously the electric heater I have is smaller and the fact it is free standing means it is less intrusive. Isn't anything with a plug and wiring a fire hazard? If we worried about that we wouldn't use any device.

I don't want a radiator at that location in the room and there is not much sense is in a new radiator behind a desk irrelevant of it's size. I would imagine that wouldn't be good for a computer.

EDIT: It isn't my father's house. I don' know what makes you think that. Anyway, are not all Irish households the mother's house. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Thomyokk wrote: »
    Copper

A rigid pipe cutter.

Google them. Won't beat them for pipe cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

An excuse? What do mean?

The radiator is in the way of the desk and the back end of the desk will not accommodate it as you suggest. This is just the way the way it is.

Obviously the electric heater I have is smaller and the fact it is free standing means it is less intrusive. Isn't anything with a plug and wiring a fire hazard? If we worried about that we wouldn't use any device.

I don't want a radiator at that location in the room and there is not much sense is in a new radiator behind a desk irrelevant of it's size. I would imagine that wouldn't be good for a computer.

As stated before your only feckin up the heat source of the room. The next owner will be asking where the bloody rad went to.

You don't remove rads for a pc desk. It's over kill

An excuse? What do mean?

Usually you make the furniture fit around the fittings. I'm sure op knows what they are doing but it is very unusual to alter fittings to accommodate furniture.

ArrBee wrote: »
    What about getting a different computer desk that "fits around" the rad?
    This would allow you to just leave it there and put your desk against the wall without hassle...

I've been fortunate enough to be able to do that with my desk due to the design of it.
    The rad is in use and keeps my toes warm too. :)

Does the heat from the radiator not affect the computer?

Thomyokk wrote:
    Copper

Google half inch slice. Assuming it's a half inch pipe

No. Computers are designed to run in warm rooms. They have internal fans

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭hatchman

Can the op not just turn off both valves and remove rad and leave both pipes above floor and make desk fit around them? No pipe cutting blanking required and simple job to put rad back if ever required.

GreeBo wrote: »
    OP I don't understand why you wouldn't just leave the rad under the desk.

I have a desk within an alcove and a rad underneath and its a non issue.
    The room keeps a heat source and I have a desk....

It is in the way. I don't know how to explain it without starting a very long post that no one will read anyway. ;) Does the hrweat from the radiator not affect the computer?

I want the radiator gone - it is my first choice. I didn't intend though that it was absolute and I thought I posted later that I'd look at other options. Maybe I didn't post that because of the my internet going wonky on Tuesday evening.

As I said the radiator has never been used. The previous owners used the room for storage only. I turned the radiator on last night and I'm not sure it is actually working. The room is not as cold as it was previously but the radiator is cold. In typically fashion things keep getting busy when I try to make time to check it.

hatchman wrote:
    Can the op not just turn off both valves and remove rad and leave both pipes above floor and make desk fit around them? No pipe cutting blanking required and simple job to put rad back if ever required.

Yes but usually both valves don't shut off 100 percent. Usually one valve will at the very least drip. Best advice is blank off the pipes or leave the rad

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    As stated before your only feckin up the heat source of the room. The next owner will be asking where the bloody rad went to.

You don't remove rads for a pc desk. It's over kill

There is no need for cursing or unpleasantness..

The radiator is never used and the house is fine. I'm not bothered by what the "next owner" thinks - they can put one in if they want to.

Overkill is a point of view. And apparently I do remove radiators for a desk, so don't say "you" when you mean "I". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Similar amount of work in moving the rad. You could go for a style that fitted into your proposed use.
    If no room stats, just fit a thermostatic radiator valve and use as required.
    At least you have options then.

Usually you make the furniture fit around the fittings. I'm sure op knows what they are doing but it is very unusual to alter fittings to accommodate furniture.

That doesn't example what TheBoyConnor meant by "excuse" though.

I kind of know what I'm doing ;), but as I said, I never meant to imply my decision was absolute.

No. Computers are designed to run in warm rooms. They have internal fans

Yes, but I thought having them right over the radiator would not be good.

hatchman wrote: »

That thought did occur to me. I could work with the pipes sticking up and cover them.

Thanks to all for the input.

A lot to consider here. I'd definitely get in a plumber if I'm removing the radiator. Even so there is a lot of work involved and I need to figure out if it is worth it. Even replacing it seems to require the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

For me? no it doesn't.
    But there are variables involved of course....
    Like, how is the computer designed and built wrt cooling, and where you position the computer in relation to the rad not to mention how much heat is being generated by the rad.

the time and cost for doing what you have suggested will likely be more than buying a desk that works around the rad imo

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

It is in the way. I don't know how to explain it without starting a very long post that no one will read anyway. ;) Does the hrweat from the radiator not affect the computer?

I want the radiator gone - it is my first choice. I didn't intend though that it was absolute and I thought I posted later that I'd look at other options. Maybe I didn't post that because of the my internet going wonky on Tuesday evening.

As I said the radiator has never been used. The previous owners used the room for storage only. I turned the radiator on last night and I'm not sure it is actually working. The room is not as cold as it was previously but the radiator is cold. In typically fashion things keep getting busy when I try to make time to check it.

Maybe take a picture of where you are trying to put the desk, and a pick of the desk.
    Is it a freestanding desk?

Its probably far easier to modify the desk than re/move the rad and it has the benefit of being the correct thing to do.

If the rad has been off for a long time its probably half full of air and would need to be bled.

Temps are not cold yet (its ~14C in Dublin today), trying to use a room with no heat source in the dead of winter is inadvisable and will lead to damp and mould problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

You can get small rads, 300 or 400mm high, no more than €60 for the longest size of 1.2m https://www.bestheating.ie/radiators/convector-radiators/single-panel-radiators/l/filter-height:0-449-mm.html

I would put in a small rad just to keep the option open of having heat in the room if you need it. Can use it as a foot rest if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

No-one is going to advise you to take out the rad op. Even if you get a plumber they will probably advise against it and suggest installing a low profile rad instead if you are resolute in wanting the current one gone. The reason - removing it is just the wrong thing to do! Simple.

A free standing electric heater will work. It is a higher fire risk at the end of the day. All electric items are fire risks to some extent. People use other electric appliances because of necessity. An electric heater in a room with a rad is not a necessity therefore you are taking a risk that is totally avoidable. Anyway, that's a different issue. The risk is small, but it is still there. Things that can go wrong are for example, the heater toppling over, a piece of paper or other debris falling into the heating elements and catching fire, you going away then getting distracted and forgetting about the heater which could potentially catch fire through either of the aforementioned mechanisms or simply developing a fault and overheating. None of these risks are present with a radiator.

You you do not heat the room you will definitely have mould problems.

You also need to bear in mind that whatever the cost is to remove it you will be paying the same again or more to reinstall it when the time comes to do so. And if you go down the route of cutting down the pipes the reinstatement will cost even more as you will likely have to replace the valves and possibly even the radiator. And you will have to reinstate things eventually.

It would therefore probably, as people suggest, be cheaper to buy a desk or modify the current one so it fits better around the rad than to remove or interfere with the rad.

The gentle heat from the rad is unlikely to have any effect on the computer. PCs have fans etc and get quite hot inside anyway, some CPUs operate in the mid 50 degrees. Carefull placement of the computer will help mitigate any effects. ie, don't put the computer right on top of the rad.

To make a long story short, removing the radiator is not a good idea. Everyone here seems to agree on that. But you are like a dog with a bone OP. Do what you want.

Advertisement