Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

plug melted in socket

• 31-10-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

plug of my kettle was jammed into socket. when my BF finally yanked it out, the plastic where plug enters had melted! was that the plug or the socket at fault? i've replaced plug and not used that socket since. its a double socket but i still use the other socket - is that ok?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Sounds to me like an urgent job for a qualified electrician. Get one to look at your wiring before its more than the plastic melting....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 conbre

check the old plug, sounds like the fuse was replaced with a bolt or tin foil wrapped around it. highly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Change the double socket on the wall. More than likely the contacts in the socket have over time lost their ability to make a tight contact with the plug pins. An electric kettle draws quite a large current so a loose connection will arc in the socket and cause heat, which is probably what happened in your case. As previously advised in this thread maybe its time you got an electrician to look at this socket. by the way are you constantly unplugging the kettle as this will cause the socket contacts to become less tight. Not many people replace their sockets but they should certainly check them regularly and replace when necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Why dont you post this in the electrical forum a lot of electricians look in there. No disrespect to answers already given.

I am temped to think the fault is in the plug and not the socket but as said I am not an electrician.

Advertisement