Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Swordsman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Would have to go with Mace Windu myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NeiloMac

Obi-Wan.

Cos he used the defence form, he can take all the attacks his oppent throws at him, that is after all why he was sent to take out Gurivous (Who killed countless Jedi), all he needs to do is wait for a mistake, as seen also with his duel with Anakin,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 TheRightfulHeir

Yu all seem yo be forgetting that the Emporer forsaw that ANAKIN would become even greater than Yoda.The emporer was right about everything else he foresaw so therefore ANAKIN is the best..................
    He foresaw that he'd be greater than Yoda, and he probably would have been and might well have been, but because of Obi-Wan pretty much killing him, and having to go into the suit, Vader was only 80% as powerful as the Emperor, if he hadn't of been nearly killed by Obi-Wan he would have been twice as powerful as the Emperor, Lucas has said this in an interview.

My vote went with Windu. Although, Maul was a complete genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Can´t believe that 14 people thus far voted for Darth Maul - he has got to be the worst character in all 6 movies :mad:
    Maul was a fantastic swordsman, not just for his lightsaber technique, but the fact that he also used hand-to-hand fighting and force powers to maximum effectiveness. In a one-on-one fight I'd say he would have any jedi beaten

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭irishthump

The Bollox wrote:
    In a one-on-one fight I'd say he would have any jedi beaten

But he DID'NT!!!!!:confused:

He squared up to Obi-Wan one on one and got himself neatly cloven in twain for his troubles. And Kenobi was just a Padewan then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭topher182

i would have to vote Anakin! some of the stuff he did in Revenge of the sith was magic!:D

topher182 wrote:
    i would have to vote Anakin! some of the stuff he did in Revenge of the sith was magic!:D

Ha!

Yeah, like the way he made his left arm and both his legs disappear!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Bacchus wrote: »
    I thought Windu was the greatest swordsman in the SW universe. Yoda was the wisest and most in tune with the force.
    Well that's going by what's said in the movies.
    Although we still haven't seen much of Windu fighting, I believe he'd wipe the floor with Yoda. Look at the way he took out Fett, no fancy stuff, just chopped his head off, Brilliant stuff.
    The fighter with most flair is between Yoda and Maul.

if yoda more in tune with the force how come he failed to beat lord sidius wen they were equally matched as swordsmen and yet he didnt get a mention

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I'd have to go with The Emperor.

He beat Yoda, and Yoda admitted this defeat to Bail Organa.

He let Mace Windu believe that he had him defeated. He foretold, using the darkside, Anakin's interference and subsequent turning to the darkside. This after dispatching three Jedi council members in a little over thirty seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Danakin wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you specified from the movies,if so, Luke wins by a mile. He has fought all the following in the EU:

Clone of Himself(No winner but he survived)
    Gantoris(won duel but Gan fled)
    20 Jenasarri (weird force warriors)
    Kueller
    Brakiss
    Supreme Overlord Shimrra(ok he wasant a jedi but still powerful)
    Raynar Thul
    Welk
    Lomi Plo

as well as surviving and then defeating Vader in the films.

Phew, just revealed self as fanatic there...

if you have heard from any of Lucas's interviews about the prequels you will know that he talks of the reason why they able to use the light sabers so easily is because they were at their prime in the prequels there for there is no way that Luke can match up to any of them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Can I just point out that some of the greatest swordsmen from SW have actually been omitted from this poll. Particularly one or two Sith in particular from the Old-Republic era.

Both in respect to this poll, I agree with those who go with Yoda. But you didn't specify if this was just movies, so really there a good few names missing.

Can I just point out that some of the greatest swordsmen from SW have actually been omitted from this poll. Particularly one or two Sith in particular from the Old-Republic era.

Both in respect to this poll, I agree with those who go with Yoda. But you didn't specify if this was just movies, so really there a good few names missing.

Oh please, no more of this expanded universe crap!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

irishthump wrote: »
    Oh please, no more of this expanded universe crap!:rolleyes:

Expanded Universe crap?? Dude the books are 10 times more entertaining (and informative) than the films!! Read the likes of Dark Rendezvous and then see what you make of EU. Were it not for EU, twud be very hard to keep interested in anything of this genre...couldn't be watching the same 6 films day in day out...but I could read a new book each week and be happy out...

the characters from the EU are far more interesting as well in my book. Anakin Skywalker?? psssh...Revan, Bane, Exar Kun - they were Sith!! Not like that winge...

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

Obi-Wan, he was a master of Form III and could defeat anyone with even, even Yoda and Windu. Hell he even beat Anikan.

• Ok, here it goes:

Darth Maul bet Qui Gon.
    Obi Wan bet Darth Maul.
    Count Dooku bet Obi & Anakin (actually he p!ssed all over them!).
    Yoda bet Count Dooku.
    Palpatine bet Yoda (or at least stalemated, and you didn't see Yoda go back for a rematch!)
    Mace bet Palpatine.

Therefore Mace should be the greatest.

This house of cards has fallen like a stack of dominoes. Checkmate!

But...
    Anakin bet Count Dooku. And Obi bet Anakin!

Aggggghhhhhh....!!!!!! The world makes no sense!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

I was between Obi Wan and Vader (naturally) and I chose Obi Wan simply because, he let Vader win which showed he still had the power to kick ass!:D

Then I saw Yoda and thought "balls, should have looked first."

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

I'd say Obi-Wan - his mastery of Soresu made Mace acknowledge that he would be the best Jedi to take out Grievous, and his intellect allowed him to beat Anakin, who was faster and stronger. The only saber form he seemed to have difficulty dealing with was Makashi, but that's to be expected since Makashi's focus is on saber duels as opposed to dealing with armies of droids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Darth Maul... just cos he was so cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭MetalDawg

Mace Windu: "I want you to go in the bag and find my lightsabre.....its the one that says Bad Mother F***er on it":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Red Tempest

I accidentally clicked Mace Windu instead of Yoda! Oh the shame!
    Gotta be yoda, I mean, yeah the special effects of the prequel trilogy meant that Yoda's moves could look a lot more impressive on screen. But CG aside, he is renowned for being in complete harmony with the force, AND taught Luke the Jedi ways himself, who in turn defeated the sith and brought balance to the galaxy. Plus hes a tiny little guy to possess such skill, got to give him credit for that. Sooooooo.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Trail_Blazer

Yoda was amazingly fantastic in Episode 2. Really unbelievable, and awesome to see. Yoda wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭theoldalfer

I accidentally clicked Mace Windu instead of Yoda! Oh the shame!
    Gotta be yoda, I mean, yeah the special effects of the prequel trilogy meant that Yoda's moves could look a lot more impressive on screen. But CG aside, he is renowned for being in complete harmony with the force, AND taught Luke the Jedi ways himself, who in turn defeated the sith and brought balance to the galaxy. Plus hes a tiny little guy to possess such skill, got to give him credit for that. Sooooooo.....

It was Vader that brought balance to the force by fecking Palpatine down the shaft. I'd go with Mace Windu, he had Palpatine beat until Anakin sly doged him and cut off his hand. Yoda couldn't get the better of him, Mace did;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

It was Vader that brought balance to the force by fecking Palpatine down the shaft. I'd go with Mace Windu, he had Palpatine beat until Anakin sly doged him and cut off his hand. Yoda couldn't get the better of him, Mace did;).

Vader brought balance to the force by helping kill all the Jedi.

There is two sith in star wars after ep3 Vader and the Emperor and only ever two Jedi or potential jedi, it starts with Obi-Wan and Yoda. Obi-Wan dies and Luke takes his place then Yoda dies and Leia takes his place.

Sorry it was off topic.

Mace is the best sword fighter, although if it was actors that played the character then Ray Park wins it every time

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

Mace Windu all the way. I don't but in to the theory that Palpatine was lettng him win, he was at the very very least equal to Palpatine. Not in force potenital but in sword skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Sound Computers

since the poll asks about swordsmanship, I find it difficult to discern since every battle we saw in the films contained swordsmanship + the force. The abilities given by the force in said battles tends to blind the swordsmanship......... that being said, i still voted for yoda :) he rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I went with Mace Windu cause he was the only one who beat Palpatine, if it wasn't for Anakin interferring then Mace would have killed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

I went with Mace Windu cause he was the only one who beat Palpatine, if it wasn't for Anakin interferring then Mace would have killed him.

Palpatine let Windu appear to best him. It is impossible to know who in a genuine fight, where Palpatine had no other endgame other than killing Windu, would be the victor. My hunch would be Palpatine considering how easily he bested the other 3 council members.

The Windu fight was a set-up to close out Anakin's turn to the dark side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

Palpatine let Windu appear to best him. It is impossible to know who in a genuine fight, where Palpatine had no other endgame other than killing Windu, would be the victor. My hunch would be Palpatine considering how easily he bested the other 3 council members.

The Windu fight was a set-up to close out Anakin's turn to the dark side.

Could be what happened but you don't know that for sure,

And palpatine isn't in the poll so you cant really pick him as an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

It's Mace Windu.

The only Jedi to fully master form VII, Vaapad. Also the co-creator of same and the only one of its 3 practitioners not to fall to the dark side as a result of wielding it. (One of those other 2 - Depa Billaba - would be the only real contender to challenge him in raw swordsmanship ability)

"Six there were for generations of Jedi. The seventh, is not well-known. Powerful form it is. Deadliest of all. But dangerous it is, for its master as well as its opponent. Few have studied. One student alone, to mastery has risen."
    ~ Yoda

Guess who he was talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mudkippzs

Has to be yoda..... I mean, for an 800 year old 4 foot tall muppet, he's got the moves... He was kicking ASS....

QFT

Correction, he was 900 years old!

He definitely kicks ass. One on one he'd hand any Jedi or Sith their asses served on a platter...

Mud

Advertisement