Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monster hunter rise

Options
  • 29-01-2021 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Santa brought a switch in to the house at Christmas.

I’ve had no zero reason to play it up to now as I have the Wii U and have played most of the games cause they’re all ports.

But that’s about to change with Monster Hunter Rise.

Even though it doesn’t look great in comparison to MH World it has it does have its own charm.

The new mechanics feel different enough to give it its own identity as well.

I played the absolute hell out or MH World on PS4 so I can see myself falling down the same rabbit hole here.

The handheld mode is handy too for lazing on the couch. Pity graphically it dips. For doing all the customisation though in the hub world it’ll be nice.

Anyone else lookin forward to this one?

Surprised there’s no thread on it already tbh. Unless I’m missing it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Played the demo, like what I've played so far. Dont usually pre order but will be for sure with this. The Collectors Edition with Amiibo looks sweet and the pro controller is also a thing of beauty but bit expensive at 80 notes. Modern monster hunter game in handheld is going to be dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

skerry wrote: »
    Played the demo, like what I've played so far. Dont usually pre order but will be for sure with this. The Collectors Edition with Amiibo looks sweet and the pro controller is also a thing of beauty but bit expensive at 80 notes. Modern monster hunter game in handheld is going to be dangerous

Yeah the handheld mode is enticing. Will take tome to get used to the controller. Very different to a PS4 one.

Not that far away March 26th.

Pre ordered in Smyths last night. Looking forward to Friday now. Have a decent amount of hours put into World and MHGU (rookie numbers by comparison to some hardcores Im sure), but this will be my first MH game I'll be getting stuck in to from day 1. Looking at weapon videos now, gonna steer clear of my usual longsword and try Hammer and Switchaxe first I think

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

"Essential" rank from Eurogamer:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-03-23-monster-hunter-rise-review-the-switchs-best-game-since-breath-of-the-wild
    Eurogamer wrote:
    With smart additions that move the series forward, this is the most accessible, deepest and simply very best Monster Hunter to date.

I'm officially hyped for this...

Star Lord wrote: »

It's getting great reviews. Looking at the videos and the combat looks so fast and smooth and loads of potential with the wirebug addition. Additional free content already planned for next month so if it gets anything like the love World got from the devs post launch it'll be great. Looks unreal for a Switch game too, engine must be very well optimised.

https://youtu.be/vaG8-fRfSbc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Whoop, Smyths have dispatched my copy of the game!

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    Whoop, Smyths have dispatched my copy of the game!

Same here. Hopefully have it tomorrow but its with UPS so I won't hold my breath.

Same here. Hopefully have it tomorrow but its with UPS so I won't hold my breath.

Mine is with An Post, thought they would all be with the same company.

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    Mine is with An Post, thought they would all be with the same company.

Generally with An Post from Smyths for me too so was surprised to see UPS shipping info.

Copy just arrived from Smyths. Nice steelbook and keyring. Looking forward to getting stuck in later :)

• Advertisement

Copy just arrived from Smyths. Nice steelbook and keyring. Looking forward to getting stuck in later :)

Yeah was happily surprised by that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

For anyone who pre-ordered the limited edition from Gamestop when it was listed for €79.99, to find they are now charging €99.99 using their online system to redeem the order. Email them and they will/should give you a €20 refund after you order it.

Havent played a huge amount but really enjoying what I've played so far. So many quality of life improvements over MHGU. Gathering while riding Palamute is great. Super quick to mop up the smaller village quests with the extra mobility. Experimenting with Hammer and liking it so far. Was mainly Greatsword and longsword in MHW and MHGU

Havent played a huge amount but really enjoying what I've played so far. So many quality of life improvements over MHGU. Gathering while riding Palamute is great. Super quick to mop up the smaller village quests with the extra mobility. Experimenting with Hammer and liking it so far. Was mainly Greatsword and longsword in MHW and MHGU

I'm using longsword and hammer as well. But going to try hunting horn for when I get stuck into multiplayer hunts. Palamute is great, any time I need to sharpen I jump on and avoid whatever I'm hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Corholio wrote: »
    For anyone who pre-ordered the limited edition from Gamestop when it was listed for €79.99, to find they are now charging €99.99 using their online system to redeem the order. Email them and they will/should give you a €20 refund after you order it.

Oh really? Damn I wish I did this, the game arrived in the post yesterday, I had originally ordered it for collection at my local store but since it’s closed they sent me an email with a link and 5-step procedure to arrange for home delivery. I thought I was lucky enough that the whole thing wasn’t cancelled. Did you get a discount then? I might email them to ask for a voucher so off my next purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The lack of lock on is a minor irritation so far, but living the game so far!

Star Lord wrote: »
    The lack of lock on is a minor irritation so far, but living the game so far!

Havent really missed it to be honest. Think I'm using the standard press L to centre on the monster set up. According to the article below you can change lock on settings for the camera im options so might be worth a shot.

https://www.gamesradar.com/monster-hunter-rise-lock-on-target-focus-camera/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Oh really? Damn I wish I did this, the game arrived in the post yesterday, I had originally ordered it for collection at my local store but since it’s closed they sent me an email with a link and 5-step procedure to arrange for home delivery. I thought I was lucky enough that the whole thing wasn’t cancelled. Did you get a discount then? I might email them to ask for a voucher so off my next purchase.

You still should be able to get it. They told me to purchase it at €99.99 and then to email them the order number after and they would refund €20.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

Havent really missed it to be honest. Think I'm using the standard press L to centre on the monster set up. According to the article below you can change lock on settings for the camera im options so might be worth a shot.

https://www.gamesradar.com/monster-hunter-rise-lock-on-target-focus-camera/

The standard camera doesn't lock on but if you change it in settings it locks on perfectly. You can even lock on to the head or tail of the monster.

How are ye finding the difficulty? I'm relatively new to Monster Hunter, I played Monster Hunter World which was my first monster hunter game.

I'm on the 4 star village missions now and it's not been overly difficult. Fainted once i think. Maybe I'm just getting more proficient with my weapon choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Lagombi

I've found the village quests easy so far (about to move on to 4*) but I played Iceborne not too long ago so I've had plenty of recent practice. The hub quests seem more challenging from what I can see, 2* hub Barroth kept me on my toes.

I tend to change my main weapon in each new Monster Hunter so I've switched from Hunting Horn in World to Switch Axe in Rise and I'm enjoying learning it so far.

Do people here play online much? It might be nice to team up with other people for the hub stuff rather than rely on random join requests if anyone is interested. My friend code is SW-8084-8633-7900 if anyone wants to

Lagombi wrote: »
    I've found the village quests easy so far (about to move on to 4*) but I played Iceborne not too long ago so I've had plenty of recent practice. The hub quests seem more challenging from what I can see, 2* hub Barroth kept me on my toes.

I tend to change my main weapon in each new Monster Hunter so I've switched from Hunting Horn in World to Switch Axe in Rise and I'm enjoying learning it so far.

Do people here play online much? It might be nice to team up with other people for the hub stuff rather than rely on random join requests if anyone is interested. My friend code is SW-8084-8633-7900 if anyone wants to

Immediately suspect about the Monster I beat the sh!t out of with a hammer last night asking to team up the following day :)

Good idea, I'm tipping away on village quests but will fire up friend code once I get to the hub quests. Pretty sure monster health is scaled up for a team in hub quests regardless of being in a team or not so that's probably why Barroth was tough to put down.

Immediately suspect about the Monster I beat the sh!t out of with a hammer last night asking to team up the following day :)

If you can't beat them, join them :)

I think it's just because I'm so used to being well equipped in Iceborne that I wasn't expecting to be hit so hard by a Barroth, really just a walk up call that it's time to get some better armour

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So what's the best/easiest weapon to start with for an absolute newcomer to the series?

I'm not speaking from experience here but I often see Sword and Shield or Bow being mentioned as two of the most beginner friendly weapons. Hammer and Lance seem straightforward to me as well, no ammo, gauges or different modes to keep track of as far as I know.

You get one of each weapon type at the start of the game so it's always worth getting a feel for them in the training area or an easy hunt. Go into Weapon Controls under Hunters Notes in the menu for info about each too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

So what's the best/easiest weapon to start with for an absolute newcomer to the series?

Interested in how you get on as a newcomer

Tempted myself

I think Longsword is considered pretty beginner friendly. As mentioned above, the training area will give you a good feel for what works for you. I was new to the series when I played World. Picked up MHGU then and enjoyed the classic monster hunter style a bit more despite its quirks and not being as polished. Rise seems to be a perfect mix of the old and new.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I'm a total beginner on this and using the dual blades. Finding them a lot of fun. Its fast so no wind up like other weapons but maybe less damage...not sure. Get on close, attack and then make sure you get away when you can see the monster shaping for an attack.

Easily missed - you can climb the big tree in Buddy Plaza to get to the Cohoots nest and loot it for some Langinapples and silver eggs which are worth 1000z. Refreshes every few hunts, easy zenny

• Advertisement

Easily missed - you can climb the big tree in Buddy Plaza to get to the Cohoots nest and loot it for some Langinapples and silver eggs which are worth 1000z. Refreshes every few hunts, easy zenny

When you see 2 gold eggs in it, that means you get the max amount of items as well. So check it every 3 or 4 hunts.

We could set up a discord for organising multiplayer hunts if people were interested?

Advertisement