Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I'm still waiting to find out from Akrasia what the swallows know and how much Heller's getting paid by Exxonmobil. I suppose I can wait til morning.

Akrasia wrote: »
    would a canadian have taken that bet in 2016 that they wouldn't breach the 49c barrier within 5 years? If climate change wasn't real, they would have been completely justified in their incredulity

So are we going to hit 39 this year or not? I need to know whether to leave out water for the cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wow. Just wow. A village got so hot that it "burst into flames"?! I thought it was a wildfire.

Are you saying Ireland will it 39 in 5 years? How much are you willing to bet? I can tell you now - and everyone is my witness - that if that happens I will gladly convert to your side of the fence and will use words like "burst" and "devastation" as much as I can. That's a promise. Bookmark this post.

EDIT: No, wait. You said that you would have said it 5 years ago, so this year it will hit 39. I can't wait. It'll hardly be tomorrow, and then the weather will break down, so I suppose we'll have to wait a few more weeks. I say it'll be Shannon Airport.

I think that must be an easily understandable mix up with the bible story of Sodom and Gomorrah tbf ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

So in other words, you were bullsh1tting the whole time

Is there an unsurprised emoji?

No BSing at all. The link is literally a few pages back, but hang on, I'll do the dirty work for you.

New Moon

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200219152855.htm

Jet stream not getting 'wavier' despite Arctic warming
    Date:
    February 19, 2020
    Source:
    University of Exeter
    Summary:
    Rapid Arctic warming has not led to a 'wavier' jet stream around the mid-latitudes in recent decades, pioneering new research has shown.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Canadians are used to weather extremes and would not be likely to bet against anything that had any possible way of coming to reality. We have chosen to live in a few locations in this country that perhaps are not that suited to human habitation. Same goes for south of the border. Life is pleasant and quite easy 99% of the time, then becomes dangerous or impossible the other 1% (those are not quite accurate percentages, more like 99.99 and 00.01). There's even a ranger station in Death Valley, somebody spends the summer there. Would you? I sure wouldn't.

Lytton is the sort of place that is perched on the edge of an extreme micro-climate zone of a few miles square, and there are several other such places, if things go wrong then such places can be gone within minutes or hours. A couple of years ago, a large town in California (ironically named Paradise) burned in this same way on a much larger scale. So did Fort Macmurray, Alberta (about 40 to 50 per cent of that much larger town was damaged if not destroyed).

The way this is unfolding, it could happen a few more times. It is somewhat more likely in WA or OR than in BC because they have larger areas of easily burned scrubby forest that surrounds towns and villages. But it could happen again this month in BC, it would not surprise me. We are all on high alert, but these fires start very quickly and once they get going faster than 15-20 mph in a forward direction fighting them becomes very difficult.

Where I live, the terrain within 50-100 miles in all directions is almost all forest other than a few alpine areas and the semi-arid Columbia valley. If we get a lot of lightning strikes around here in the next 3-5 days, then fires could easily start up. There have not been damaging fires in this region for decades (more so to the north and northwest of this region and down in WA a good distance past the border). So we're all apprehensive about this. A small part of the population (as is the case anywhere) are not that bright and may go off into the bush, park a heated vehicle over dry brush, or even toss a butt out a window. You can have a highly educated political culture but if even 1% of your population are idiots, then their actions will overcome all of the good otherwise done. Also it has to be said there have been arson cases motivated by the desire to get temporary work, mental illness, a terrorist or racial-conflict motivation in some cases, and this is unsettling too, there have been a rash of church burnings in response to news about events at residential schools in the past (news that has not been entirely confirmed or detailed yet either, but of course that does not stop those who want to start trouble).

It is widely suspected in western Canada that the Fort Mac fire a few years ago was an act of arson committed on a back road off a major highway, or perhaps more gently it was a poor campfire dousing by people who took advantage of a warm spring weekend and went off into the bush. Either way, that fire was not started by lightning, it was late April and a dry spring weather pattern.

Getting back to my local situation, we are still in the extreme heat although just to the west of here a slightly cooler air mass has pushed in. The dynamics are a bit out of focus and the storm response has jumped past us into the southeast corner of BC, but I don't think we're out of the woods so to speak. The temperature here is near 40 C with a gusty south wind at present.

(news update, Lytton is said to be 90-95 per cent burned down and there are two known fatalities)

would a canadian have taken that bet in 2016 that they wouldn't breach the 49c barrier within 5 years? If climate change wasn't real, they would have been completely justified in their incredulity

Most Canadians believe in the reality of climate change, this country has a very left-wing political culture in general, and many things have been done here (all obviously without any effect) to influence the climate. So I don't think many Canadians would have taken that bet. Those who don't think AGW style climate change is real may still believe that the climate is warming for other reasons. Or they might have thought (if asked about your bet) that anything is possible here, we are after all used to weather extremes in Canada, being dominated by continental climate influences. I don't think the average urban Canadian if asked a month ago would have had much idea what the existing national extreme temperature was, but people here do travel south a lot and sometimes in the summer (although not for pleasure) so they are familiar with the fact that certain parts of the southwestern U.S. can reach 120 F, also it's a fairly common opinion among the 99% who don't live in three or four relatively confined hot spots that there are places in BC and the prairies that are "too hot for normal people" so they wouldn't choose to live in places that often exceed 40 C.

If anyone there is labouring under the misconception that the Trump political movement has any traction in Canada, you can examine the results of the last election where the closest analogue to Trump's version of the GOP managed to attract 1.5% of the vote. Our "conservative" party is widely known to be a sort of Liberal Party B team who would do things just slightly differently (and rarely are given the chance). The Liberal Party which used to be centrist to some extent is now enthusiastically globalist and about where Obama used to be in the spectrum, which for me is centre-left. Other Canadian political parties can only be described as either far left or delusional. The leader of the Green Party went on TV to give her reasoned opinion that "every summer will now be like this" and I'll take that bet.

Wow. Just wow. A village got so hot that it "burst into flames"?! I thought it was a wildfire.

Are you saying Ireland will it 39 in 5 years? How much are you willing to bet? I can tell you now - and everyone is my witness - that if that happens I will gladly convert to your side of the fence and will use words like "burst" and "devastation" as much as I can. That's a promise. Bookmark this post.

EDIT: No, wait. You said that you would have said it 5 years ago, so this year it will hit 39. I can't wait. It'll hardly be tomorrow, and then the weather will break down, so I suppose we'll have to wait a few more weeks. I say it'll be Shannon Airport.

The synoptics that brought us the 3 days of 30c plus on the western side of this island at this time of the year back in 2018 are not too dissimilar to that which brought those incredible temps to the western side of the way, way bigger north American continent this time around. Something maybe to keep in mind.

New Moon

A reputable news source is one that is accountable and faces consequences for being caught lying

a reputable news body would be accountable for any deliberate lies/misinformation

C4 is subject to regulation and subject to the strict British libel laws

What source do you suggest I use?

VOBqk2F.jpg

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Date:
    February 19, 2020
    Source:
    University of Exeter
    Summary:
    Rapid Arctic warming has not led to a 'wavier' jet stream around the mid-latitudes in recent decades, pioneering new research has shown.

Let me just refer to the two page pamphlet that is the book of flat earthism;
    And why would I click onto those garbage media links you posted?

• Advertisement

No doubt Akrasia will be on here reprimanding Bananaman for posting them. That'd be a first.

How does the theme tune go again,
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l_Qa9dN3mI0

Since the subject was brought up in the thread, the most likely cause of the Lytton fire disaster appears to be sparks from a railway line near the town, setting long dry grass on fire and with the strong gusty winds, spreading rapidly into trees and nearby structures.

A fairly serious fire started around mid-day Thursday near a forestry road northwest of Castlegar, a small city of about ten thousand which is located about 40 kms northeast of where I live. There were no lightning strikes in the area so some interaction between users of this forestry road and the forest is the only possible cause, that could vary from some idiot tossing a butt, to somebody parking beside a stream or lake and having their hot engine cause brush to start burning, to a smouldering campfire. We are under a no-campfire ban but that was announced with the recent lifting of mask requirements and may not have come to the attention of all campers (as to who would want to go camping in this heat wave, I haven't been down this particular forestry road, maybe there are some nice lakeside campsites and those might be appealing as compared to hot residences, because it does cool down at night despite the unprecedented daytime heat).

No storms have formed to our south, they all seemed to prefer the larger lift opportunities further north and northeast of this region.

Let me just refer to the two page pamphlet that is the book of flat earthism;

tenor.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,210 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sorry, but who gets to decide that a media org is 'reputable'? Is there a 'science study' to show that CH4 is for example :eek:, or is reputability based solely on whether or not a media org shares the same biases as oneself?

I'll get to decide what is reputable or not when it comes to media articles, not you deciding for me.

Reputable news sources share the following characteristics
    Taken from here
    https://libguides.ucmerced.edu/news/reputable, but anyone who has any interest in critical thinking will already know these
    Characteristics of Reputable News Sources
    Characteristics of Reputable Newspapers

publishes accurate content; checks facts, and if errors are made, corrects them

uses reputable sources (people, documentation) and verifies those sources

presents headlines which accurately represent the article content; headlines don't play on readers' emotions

clearly identifies authors of articles with bylines

produces its own content; doesn't merely aggregate content from other sources

clearly identifies content types (e.g. report vs. editorial)

conducts reporting not just editorializing

employs journalists who follow the profession's code of ethics

Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Code of Ethics, four main sections: Seek Truth and Report It, Minimize Harm, Act Independently, Be Accountable and Transparent
    10 Elements to Good Journalism (American Institute Press), selected from Kovach and Rosenstiel's book The Elements of Journalism.

Channel 4 is not without it's flaws, but it is a reputable media organisation. Not everything they publish will be accurate, but it is not unreasonable to use them as a source to back up a claim about current events. If it's a scientific claim, it's better to refer directly to the science, but for news events, they're not likely to lie or distort the facts.

What sources do you prefer to use? What criteria do you use to decide if they are reputable?

No, if you missed it, then go look for it yourself.
    Won't bother so. You clearly have no interest in presenting an argument. I'm not wasting my time trawling through your history looking for a link that may or may not exist

So are we going to hit 39 this year or not? I need to know whether to leave out water for the cats.

Reading comprehension isn't your strength it seems.

No BSing at all. The link is literally a few pages back, but hang on, I'll do the dirty work for you.

Date:
    February 19, 2020
    Source:
    University of Exeter
    Summary:
    Won't bother so. You clearly have no interest in presenting an argument. I'm not wasting my time trawling through your history looking for a link that may or may not exist
    Reading comprehension isn't your strength it seems.

It would seem that it's certainly not yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Everyone knows this event is climate change related. It's so obvious, we don't need to wait for the studies...

557416.jpg

Blue area big, red area small.

The art of deception is real. Throw into the bargain that this is not an equal area map, therefore blue areas are bigger and red areas are smaller than projected.

Image: 30th June 2021- 2m surface anomalies.

Danno wrote: »

Blue area big, red area small.

The art of deception is real. Throw into the bargain that this is not an equal area map, therefore blue areas are bigger and red areas are smaller than projected.

Image: 30th June 2021- 2m surface anomalies.

That's a convenient misconception that most people are unaware of but suits the narrative when it comes to talking about the boiling Arctic. It might surprise people to know that the Arctic makes up a very small area of the total global surface. Above the Arctic Circle contains only around 4% of the total area. Here are the percentages for other latitudes.

North of ...
    80N = 0.76% of total area
    70N = 3.02%
    60N = 6.70%
    50N = 11.70%

557418.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

That's a convenient misconception that most people are unaware of but suits the narrative when it comes to talking about the boiling Arctic. It might surprise people to know that the Arctic makes up a very small area of the total global surface. Above the Arctic Circle contains only around 4% of the total area.

Exactly, the maps often used today were used in the colonial period to establish superiority over residents of colonised lands.

Todays mind colonialists learned well, especially when you factor in their hatred for the past, and their constant ambition to alter it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Danno wrote: »
    Exactly, the maps often used today were used in the colonial period to establish superiority over residents of colonised lands.

Todays mind colonialists learned well, especially when you factor in their hatred for the past, and their constant ambition to alter it.

"Mind colonialists" 🙂.

Wow. Just wow. A village got so hot that it "burst into flames"?! I thought it was a wildfire. .

It’s dire. The whole town is on fire,” he said on TV. “It took, like, a whole 15 minutes from the first sign of smoke to, all of a sudden, there being fire everywhere.” By Thursday, satellite images showed an eruption of blazes around the village and a widening smoke cloud across the region.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/02/canadian-inferno-northern-heat-exceeds-worst-case-climate-models

gozunda wrote: »
    Where you getting 39c? That's you just making that up ...

The Irish all time record is 33c , the Canadian all time record was 44c
    The Canadian all time record was exceeded by 6c

I was make by the connection between such an extreme event in Canada happening over here

Most Canadians believe in the reality of climate change, this country has a very left-wing political culture in general, and many things have been done here (all obviously without any effect) to influence the climate. So I don't think many Canadians would have taken that bet. Those who don't think AGW style climate change is real may still believe that the climate is warming for other reasons. Or they might have thought (if asked about your bet) that anything is possible here, we are after all used to weather extremes in Canada, being dominated by continental climate influences. I don't think the average urban Canadian if asked a month ago would have had much idea what the existing national extreme temperature was, but people here do travel south a lot and sometimes in the summer (although not for pleasure) so they are familiar with the fact that certain parts of the southwestern U.S. can reach 120 F, also it's a fairly common opinion among the 99% who don't live in three or four relatively confined hot spots that there are places in BC and the prairies that are "too hot for normal people" so they wouldn't choose to live in places that often exceed 40 C.

If anyone there is labouring under the misconception that the Trump political movement has any traction in Canada, you can examine the results of the last election where the closest analogue to Trump's version of the GOP managed to attract 1.5% of the vote. Our "conservative" party is widely known to be a sort of Liberal Party B team who would do things just slightly differently (and rarely are given the chance). The Liberal Party which used to be centrist to some extent is now enthusiastically globalist and about where Obama used to be in the spectrum, which for me is centre-left. Other Canadian political parties can only be described as either far left or delusional. The leader of the Green Party went on TV to give her reasoned opinion that "every summer will now be like this" and I'll take that bet.

My point wasn’t that Canadians are poorly informed or complacent, it was more to do with the sheer magnitude of the event. Most climate scientists would have thought this event would not have been plausible so soon into the climate change journey

VOBqk2F.jpg

The media are not a monolithic entity

It’s dire. The whole town is on fire,” he said on TV. “It took, like, a whole 15 minutes from the first sign of smoke to, all of a sudden, there being fire everywhere.” By Thursday, satellite images showed an eruption of blazes around the village and a widening smoke cloud across the region.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/02/canadian-inferno-northern-heat-exceeds-worst-case-climate-models

Yes, and it's a completely tragic event, but the way you worded it read that the town hit 50 degrees and just burst into flames, like spontaneous combustion. It seems there is a more plausible (and less dramatic) explanation, as highlighted by MT earlier.

Yes, and it's a completely tragic event, but the way you worded it read that the town hit 50 degrees and just burst into flames, like spontaneous combustion. It seems there is a more plausible (and less dramatic) explanation, as highlighted by MT earlier.

Is it more plausible that they recorded the moon landings in a studio or that they actually went to the moon in your opinion ?

Is it more plausible that they recorded the moon landings in a studio or that they actually went to the moon in your opinion ?

Again, another bizarre and cryptic post that only you can understand. Still, not quite bizarre as posting The Bill theme tune...

MT said the fire is suspected to have started through sparks from a passing train. That seems more plausible than a city suddenly brusting into flames. Yesterday I passed a decent fire burning in grass off the side of the Cheeverstown Luas stop in Tallaght. The fire brigade had just arrived and were putting it out. I imagine that was started by some scumbags, but the point is that a grassy area in a built-up area here in rainy Ireland was on fire. Nearby Casement has had only 17.8 mm since the start of June and that caused conditions conducive to this fire. The frequency of gorse fires in Ireland also shows that conditions can quickly become favourable for spreading of wildfires.

But still some would prefer giving the impression of a much more dramatic spontaneous combustion.

• Advertisement

Just some more areal stats for the alarmists; annual Arctic maximum and minimum sea ice area changes in the satellite era, as a percentage of the total surface area of the globe. Just to put things in context.

March Maxima:
    1980: ~3.2% of total global area
    2020: ~2.7%

September Minima:
    1980: ~1.5%
    2020: ~0.8%

Point being, we're talking fractions of fractions

Advertisement