Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Amateurs, Ted, amateurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Gerry just now on the sixone bringing wind,rain,hail and much cooler weather,then said with a smile "but we had a good run of it"! Maybe if he stayed away it would have continued:o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The relatively new Short range forecast is pretty poor. It says that it's updated every 50 mins or so but it can't be. It seems to be several hours behind the rainfall radar & isn't being updated. It's a pity because it could of been very useful.

Did anyone fill out the customer survey that was a pop up on the ME site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Discodog wrote: »
    Did anyone fill out the customer survey that was a pop up on the ME site ?

Yes and I requested that they post hourly weather reports for past hours up to 24 hours ago as well as the current latest hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Anyone interested in observations and their use and how they are used might look at

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=288

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭No Bills

Saw this event mentioned in the Weather News section on the Met Eireann website:

"Ensemble Prediction Systems : Probably the best forecasting
    systems in the world…

22 December, The Custom House, Dublin, at 6pm

Alan Hally, PhD Post-doctoral researcher at Météo-France, Toulouse"

Thought it might be of interest to some people on here.

More details on the Irish Meteorological Society website: irishmetsociety.org

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just looking at 5 day rainfall forecast there and it looks like saturday is going to be a washout. I'm driving from Galway to Kerry that day I hope theres no serious flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met Éireann plans to start naming storms from next year

http://www.thejournal.ie/met-eireann-naming-storms-1842107-Dec2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Pangea wrote: »

Met Éireann plans to start naming storms from next year

http://www.thejournal.ie/met-eireann-naming-storms-1842107-Dec2014/

Seeing as they're old fashioned/out of date and all bet the first one will be called Assumpta. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

Seeing as they're old fashioned/out of date and all bet the first one will be called Assumpta. ;)

:D You really couldn't make this stuff up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭sunnyagain

Which are you talking about UKMO or the Irish Met Service?

No Bills wrote: »
    Saw this event mentioned in the Weather News section on the Met Eireann website:

"Ensemble Prediction Systems : Probably the best forecasting
    systems in the world…

22 December, The Custom House, Dublin, at 6pm

Alan Hally, PhD Post-doctoral researcher at Météo-France, Toulouse"

Thought it might be of interest to some people on here.

More details on the Irish Meteorological Society website: irishmetsociety.org

Did anyone go to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Can anyone tell me why ME presenters dress like they are going to a ball, the cost of clothes must be crazy when you look at other station presenters who dress casual , what the he'll is the point of dressing up its just a weather forecast no one is looking at you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

sunnyagain wrote:
    Did anyone go to this?

I know somebody who went to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Storm 10 wrote: »
    [...] its just a weather forecast no one is looking at you
    They want to be looked at. :p

Can anyone tell me why ME presenters dress like they are going to a ball, the cost of clothes must be crazy when you look at other station presenters who dress casual , what the he'll is the point of dressing up its just a weather forecast no one is looking at you

I suspect that it is a decision of RTE, probably the Weather Producer and the wardrobe department.

I doubt if the Met people have much say in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I guess 99% of people do notice what they are wearing and the presenters like looking well. Maybe RTE, or Met eireann, need to reintroduce a few male weather presenters on TV to help bring down the fashion a little :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Very slip shod again just now - "Sunday will be the cooler of the two" (weekend days) says she, up comes the end of forecast 5 days graphic showing Saturday at 5 c and Sunday at 8 c.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Where is it zooming in on? 1700 08/01/15
    bmWbylp.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

I'd just like to say thanks very much to met Éireann for their rubbish forecasts yesterday afternoon. So much for it being dry this morning and rain spreading west in the afternoon. 9am must be in the afternoon now. Muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Torrential rain here in Galway did not expect this, roof in company where I work could not take the rain and its pouring into the premises. They gave rain for the North and North West but the radar shows far more of the Country getting heavy rain in fact parts of the North are not getting rain, :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Forecast at nine last night said 'Rain spreading from the west early on and to all areas by afternoon'. Six One said 'Rain in the west early on spreading across the country', One o'clock said 'An improvement first thing tomorrow followed by heavy rain pushing in from the atlantic.' All three showed graphics with heavy rain in the west in the morning and everywhere in the afternoon. Don't know how much clearer they can make it...

I got caught out this morning as I wasn't expecting rain until this afternoon, the rainfall radar did look a bit ominous ok but I was still hopeful going on the forecasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Just spotted this
    Historical data sets containing hourly, daily and monthly climate data from Met Eireann Synoptic stations are now freely available to download by completing this form http://www.met.ie/climate-request/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭abaddon_ire

Just a curious, but is there anywhere that explains the symbols ME use on their website maps? Most are straightforward, but some are obscure.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

Does anybody else think Met are going a bit mental on the weather warnings? A few drops of rain and a sprinkling of snow and there is a new status 'insert colour here' weather warning? FFS its winter. Save the weather warnings for actual bad weather. And read Peter and the wolf.

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    Does anybody else think Met are going a bit mental on the weather warnings? A few drops of rain and a sprinkling of snow and there is a new status 'insert colour here' weather warning? FFS its winter. Save the weather warnings for actual bad weather. And read Peter and the wolf.

No!

Met Eireann have yellow warnings for wind and snow
    MTC is on bold italics so that's at least a yellow
    Most of the UK is on the same yellow warning.

Some places will get a lash of bad weather so the warning is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Lumi wrote: »
    Just spotted this
    Historical data sets containing hourly, daily and monthly climate data from Met Eireann Synoptic stations are now freely available to download by completing this form http://www.met.ie/climate-request/ .
    pity there's a limit on how far back the records go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

tphase wrote: »
    pity there's a limit on how far back the records go...
    I have all of the historical records for Galway in excel/PDF form if you'd like a copy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

Lumi wrote: »
    I have all of the historical records for Galway in excel/PDF form if you'd like a copy?
    Thanks Lumi, I have access to data. I'm just wondering why they would put time limit on how far back you can go. Possibly this is just the first step in the process and eventually all historical data will become freely available

Advertisement