Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M.2 ssd failure I think.

• 09-06-2021 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Lads and ladies I was playing MechWarrior 5 last night for about 2 hours no bother. Then when I stopped playing and did a bit of surfing I noticed that YouTube videos started to judder then the mouse stopped mid screen and jumped to the other side.
    All of a sudden the pc reboots and takes a while to reboot at that, os is on a different m.2. when it does boot all the icons for anything saved on the possibly failed drive are replaced with generic can't find icon symbols and this drive is no where to be found.

Drive is a WD SN750 black

Now the problem drive has no heat spreader I know my bad... It is kinda sitting on the Mobo (MSI mortar max) behind the 3070 FE which never really goes above 75c ish when gaming which has been there since November.

Has the heat finally taken its toll on the m.2 or is it just a random failure. It's less than a year old bought from Amazon. Luckily I am pretty sure all that was on the drive was games from steam origin and the likes so no real data loss I think.
    Try with Amazon to get a replacement or try booting without it in place to make sure it's the only issue and not something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Is it detected at all like in the BIOS? Perhaps try gsmartcontrol to see if it can run a scan on its health, temperature logs etc. If it picks it up in the bios but not windows then try running linux with gsmartcontrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Just use WD dashboard software and make sure you are running a stable version of the firmware. A firmware update is required to fix a stability bug on these last I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Only back from work and what not now to try out the below suggestions. but booted up fine into bios it was sitting there. Then rebootered straight to windows like normal...
    Is it detected at all like in the BIOS? Perhaps try gsmartcontrol to see if it can run a scan on its health, temperature logs etc. If it picks it up in the bios but not windows then try running linux with gsmartcontrol.

Yep it was viewable in the bios now didnt think of checking last night as I was tired and like i'll check tomorrow. I downloaded gsmartcontrol it cant give me any info on the drives just says unknown device.
    deceit wrote: »
    Just use WD dashboard software and make sure you are running a stable version of the firmware. A firmware update is required to fix a stability bug on these last I checked.

Downloaded this it says the drive is 100% healthy no bother on it firmware up to date, I'll leave it running as i do a bit of gaming later see what happens. It runs about 5-6c hotter than the one with a heatsink when idle so it will be interesting to see when some games are played and the GPU is chugging away at full pelt.

Maybe a glitch in the matrix, or the vibrations from the GPU fans pissed it off :pac: or its not seated properly and went a little loopy but thats highly unlikely id say.

I'll keep an eye and if it happens again ill update. Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah let us know since I was going to get an M.2 from that brand and have it close to a 3070 FE too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just encountering this problem with my m.2 too near my 3090, it's getting temps of near 75 at times which is not good. Going to move it away see if that helps.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭yoke

I recently had a machine with an m2 ssd fail too, only a year old, and I’m pretty sure it was due to no heatsink being on it. It didn’t fail completely straight away… but over the course of about 2 days it stopped being detected by the bios.

Since then I’ve decided to always put in an aftermarket heatsink with any m2 ssds I have, if they don’t come with their own one.

Mine was made by Crucial, bought off Amazon UK last year. I’m going to contact Crucial support regarding warranty replacement but the terms of the warranty are that I have to ship it back to them at my own expense… and I have to hope the replacement doesn’t fall foul of new brexit customs rules I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Just encountering this problem with my m.2 too near my 3090, it's getting temps of near 75 at times which is not good. Going to move it away see if that helps.

Ref model? I have seen people giving out about the amount of hot air being pushed onto the board. I would also say the last few days have been odd for temps as well.

Ref model? I have seen people giving out about the amount of hot air being pushed onto the board. I would also say the last few days have been odd for temps as well.

It's a founder edition 3090 with an evo 970 1tb boot drive.

Wonder would the summer temps have played a role. Got my first crash on my new system last couple days recently. Pretty sure it was related to the m.2 ssd.

whea_uncorrectable_error or something like that. Not sure if the OP was getting that before his died.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It's a founder edition 3090 with an evo 970 1tb boot drive.

Wonder would the summer temps have played a role. Got my first crash on my new system last couple days recently. Pretty sure it was related to the m.2 ssd.

whea_uncorrectable_error or something like that. Not sure if the OP was getting that before his died.

I think Gamers Nexus highlighted that the Founders cards did push a lot of air onto the board. Not sure what the rest of your system is, but with the recent weather here pushing mid twenty's a high wattage system could have run up some high temps within the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I'd run some RAM tests before going hunting for drive issues, honestly - the juddering (streaming) video and mouse don't really point to a disk error.

As for the temperatures, usually non PCI-E 4.0 drives don't really require an heatsink; However the new, humongous graphics cards generating a ton of heat next to them certainly don't help (maybe it's time for the motherboard manufacturers to start moving the m.2 slot(s) away from where the GPU usually sits, even if it'll cost more). Also, yeah temperatures have been a bit higher than normal here the last couple of days, but it's not "hot" by any definition of the term; These components work normally in places that regularly go above 30c during the summer.

• Advertisement

Okay this is interesting. OP check is it a particular game or app causing it.

I've found this only happens for me with two games.
    1) No Man's Sky
    2) Anno 1800

It does not happen with Rd2, Stellaris, Cyberpunk, Far Cry 5, etc.

I find that peculiar.

But I am convinced the weather is playing a role in this.

My system is self built using a Be Quiet Pro Case, Kraken x63 pump n fans, NZXT Aer fans on top and back. MSI MEG X570 motherboard with AMD 5900x. Was 128 ram, down to 64. Mate couldn't get some. Game him mine.

Only really got thing is the GPU. But I'm. Getting custom thermal pads for it. Taking that step!

I think the M.2 drives are. Suffering because of the heat really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Okay this is interesting. OP check is it a particular game or app causing it.

I've found this only happens for me with two games.
    1) No Man's Sky
    2) Anno 1800

It does not happen with Rd2, Stellaris, Cyberpunk, Far Cry 5, etc.

I find that peculiar.

But I am convinced the weather is playing a role in this.

My system is self built using a Be Quiet Pro Case, Kraken x63 pump n fans, NZXT Aer fans on top and back. MSI MEG X570 motherboard with AMD 5900x. Was 128 ram, down to 64. Mate couldn't get some. Game him mine.

Only really got thing is the GPU. But I'm. Getting custom thermal pads for it. Taking that step!

I think the M.2 drives are. Suffering because of the heat really.

Can you monitor temps using the likes of HWInfo to see what peak the drives are hitting in those games?

Both of those games are heavily GPU bound I think, Anno in particular

Can you monitor temps using the likes of HWInfo to see what peak the drives are hitting in those games?

Both of those games are heavily GPU bound I think, Anno in particular

Yeah GPU hits 75, and stays Chipset hits 65 and stays, although cpu is lower and ssd goes above 60.

Overall temps seem fine, just the m.2 can get mega hot on a couple of games. Might invest in a heatsink for them. But I'm surprised at this motherboard comes with heatsinks for m.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Its only happened the once so far, after a session of Mechwarrior 5 then on to some boards and reddit and youtube when the shutdown occured, the only thing i changed on the comp before it happened was i got a Apex pro keyboard and was using the hardware monitor app for the little LED screen on the keyboard, have since stopped using that and no issues.

Been monitoring the temps using the WD dashboard app it always hovers between 55-60c when gaming maily mechwarrior as well.

Its only happened the once so far, after a session of Mechwarrior 5 then on to some boards and reddit and youtube when the shutdown occured, the only thing i changed on the comp before it happened was i got a Apex pro keyboard and was using the hardware monitor app for the little LED screen on the keyboard, have since stopped using that and no issues.

Been monitoring the temps using the WD dashboard app it always hovers between 55-60c when gaming maily mechwarrior as well.

Seems to be specific for me with only two games and nothing else. Weird the same with only your one game. Say current summer temps are playing a part.

Advertisement