Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Off-Topic Thread V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Vicxas wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if theres a market for old gaming PC's.

It has a 3570k and a GTX970 and 8GB of ram. Im not sure if its any use to anyone, or its just too old.

Should have no problem selling in the current climate. A 970 is still better than a 1650 that a lot of the "reasonably priced" pre builds are coming with.

The 3570k is long in the tooth though and will bottleneck even the 970 in some games. A 3770k is a much better fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Scalping a blower SMH

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Gigabyte after releasing a 43" 144hz 4k monitor with HDR and freesync, the FV43u, apparently supposed to be around €1200.

Suppose they'll be targeting a lot of console users with the PS5/Xbox more so than PC maybe, but would love to try something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Anyone any interest in heavy duty monitor arms? 2nd hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Anyone any interest in heavy duty monitor arms? 2nd hand.

Might be. What'cha got?

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Might be. What'cha got?

Lots of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Can you get a shot of the clamp underside? Want to see how much slack it needs.

Can you get a shot of the clamp underside? Want to see how much slack it needs.

Will fit a desk 12mm to 40mm

554987.png
    Tape flush with end, camera angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

first picture is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just look at how this guy's list of stuff is continuing to grow. I know there's a GPU shortage but stuff is cropping up reliably 2nd hand at semi-reasonable prices in various places. I've had very little problem getting a decent handful of 2nd hand cards recently with a bit of effort.

He never sells any of it and is constantly withdrawing and reuploading the same ads over and over again. Can't quite understand the mental processes going on behing it.

https://www.adverts.ie/member/2196510/ads

edit: Just in case anything changes, at the time of posting he has about 20 GPU's up for comical levels. Old GTX770 for €250, Vega 64 for €900, several RX570 4GB's for €350, etc.

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    first picture is gone

Must have deleted the wrong one.

555112.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

A fecking bird shít on my computer. Windows open with the good weather so a bird must have come into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

A fecking bird shít on my computer. Windows open with the good weather so a bird must have come into the house.

I am not going to lie, that sounds impressive from birds perspective. Still, sorry m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Homelander wrote: »
    Just look at how this guy's list of stuff is continuing to grow. I know there's a GPU shortage but stuff is cropping up reliably 2nd hand at semi-reasonable prices in various places. I've had very little problem getting a decent handful of 2nd hand cards recently with a bit of effort.

He never sells any of it and is constantly withdrawing and reuploading the same ads over and over again. Can't quite understand the mental processes going on behing it.

https://www.adverts.ie/member/2196510/ads

edit: Just in case anything changes, at the time of posting he has about 20 GPU's up for comical levels. Old GTX770 for €250, Vega 64 for €900, several RX570 4GB's for €350, etc.

I'd put money on it that he paid stupid money for them on ebay, tried to mine and make profit with them and is now desperate to recoup capital.

I'd put money on it that he paid stupid money for them on ebay, tried to mine and make profit with them and is now desperate to recoup capital.

If you look at some of the comments he's made, he's been paying over the odds for them on adverts and then trying to flip them.

Not sure why you'd even bother, unless you had built up a stock of them before the price inflation surely the profits you might make on a couple months (at most) mining + a small profit margin on the flip is not worth the effort

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

AH..so thats why my computer science tutor always told me to make sure i closed windows when i was finished:p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If you look at some of the comments he's made, he's been paying over the odds for them on adverts and then trying to flip them.

Not sure why you'd even bother, unless you had built up a stock of them before the price inflation surely the profits you might make on a couple months (at most) mining + a small profit margin on the flip is not worth the effort

He might have thought that crypto prices would keep increasing and GPU prices would increase as a result and he would make a profit on them that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

He might have thought that crypto prices would keep increasing and GPU prices would increase as a result and he would make a profit on them that way.

To be straight up, I'd be inclined to say he's just fairly braindead

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Copying this here because DIY isn't getting much traction:

First timer here with almost no DIY experience, unless you count woodwork in secondary school.
    I bought a couple of IKEA's Karlby worktops to use as desks. They're particleboard with 3-4mm veneer. Their site mentions that they don't need any treatment and can be used out-of-box, but they don't feel like finished wood, or even fully sanded.

Can someone with prior experience give me any advise here? Looking for long-term durability over all else.

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    Copying this here because DIY isn't getting much traction:

First timer here with almost no DIY experience, unless you count woodwork in secondary school.
    I bought a couple of IKEA's Karlby worktops to use as desks. They're particleboard with 3-4mm veneer. Their site mentions that they don't need any treatment and can be used out-of-box, but they don't feel like finished wood, or even fully sanded.

Can someone with prior experience give me any advise here? Looking for long-term durability over all else.

You could lightly sand them down and refinish them, with Danish oil or just standard varnish. Just use something like 200 grit and then turps or white spirits to strip the original finish. It's probably just a really poor finish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Do they look different/unfinished compared to the ones on the website? They just look like kitchen counter top with a slight gloss that don't need to be treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Quick and low odour solution - water based varnish, might not like oil spil
    Yacht varnish - long drying time in dust-free environment, but higher durability

When i build my custom desktop, ~10year ago, i used WBP ply, oak edging and just treated with few coats of sanding sealer (think it was Morrell's)- quick drying, stink :D for few days, leaves "damp" wood effect(on untreated surface) and always can be re-sanded and retreated. Still there...

Cheers lads. I'll give it a light sanding and a go with danish oil. That's how I told to do thing in woodwork anyway. :pac:
    Do they look different/unfinished compared to the ones on the website? They just look like kitchen counter top with a slight gloss that don't need to be treated.

This could be my inexperience talking, but they don't feel nearly as smooth at the countertops they have on show there. I run my hand across it and I can feel it being pretty rough in spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Probably worth calling their customer service tbh. There is usually only a minute or two of a queue and they generally try to be helpful. (I had the unique pleasure of 3-4 hours on the phone over a few months trying to sort out an order). Even if you do decide to fix it yourself they might throw a voucher your way for the trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Really tempted by the idea of the Noctua nh-p1.

Running a 9700K so I'd need to see some benches first but I've become a real quiet freak the last few years so of it could handle that I reckon I'd be on board with picking one up.

Currently using a h115i but I'm worried with long days of use how it's longevity will pan out down the line

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

EoinHef wrote: »

Running a 9700K so I'd need to see some benches first but I've become a real quiet freak the last few years so of it could handle that I reckon I'd be on board with picking one up.

Currently using a h115i but I'm worried with long days of use how it's longevity will pan out down the line

I've had a few of their coolers and to be honest, I can't hear a thing from the fans on it. Unless your case is passive I can't see the advantage.

EoinHef wrote: »

If you're using something like their NH-D15 you wouldn't be able to hear the fans even as they ramp up compared to GPU/case fans, they really are as close to silent as you can get.

The market for the passive cooler is probably moreso production/work stuff with integrated graphics and no case fans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I control fan speeds for case fans so there pretty silent.

Was looking at the cpu compatability list on the noctua site and they recomend attaching a fan for a 9700k which totally defeats the purpose for me. Might aswell get a D15 then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Noticed lately there's a lot of sellers on adverts with 10+ active ads for GPUs, one lad in Galway has 15 ranging from 770s to Vega 64s, looks like he broke up his mining rig to sell.

Lads like this will be sitting on these cards for months until they accept that they will be forced to drop them to reasonable prices to sell and lose their absolute bollocks on them.

Couldn't happen to a nice bunch of lads.

Advertisement