Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dart + (Coolmine LC closure issues)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I cant say I'm surprised this is the outcome, I am disappointed that there isn't the ambition to do a Dutch style underpass for pedestrians and cyclists, but with the canal as well I can see how it would be an expensive job. Bridge isn't as good for reducing severance though.

There isn't the airdraught over the canal to have an underpass under the railway

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

There isn't the airdraught over the canal to have an underpass under the railway

The presumption would be that the underpass would have to go below the canal as well, thus the significant expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I look forward to the protests in a few years calling for the bridge to be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭djan

I really hope that the closure of Coolmine will be overturned unless there is a bridge built there instead or in the near estate entrance. The alternative of using the big bridge or humpback bridge at Castleknock station will lead to huge traffic issues. The campaigns that were (and still are) about saving the badgers and the like are IMO ridiculous. Plenty of space for a bridge to be built that would solve traffic and train slow-down issues while utilising the unused banked grass areas coming into the estate.

I wonder if the aim to reduce train crossings will have any impact on service times of trains as there seems to be a bottleneck coming up to Drumcondra and then Conolly. I then wonder what the point is of limiting road throughput such as this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The whole point of the re-signalling of the line, along with electricification and level crossing elimination is to allow the maximum number of trains along the route.

Maynooth line trains will under the plan mainly continue to a new Docklands station at Spencer Dock which will avoid the bottleneck at Connolly that you refer to. But having said that the entire line is going to be resignalled and Connolly may see some remodelling which will improve the throughput of trains.

The crossings have to go as they are very much a limiting factor on the ability to deliver a high frequency rail service on the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

As it happens I Saw a dead badger today by Castleknock college. Not seen a badger in years. Used to have them living in our garden in Shankill when I was growing up, which happened to have the Dart line running right through it.

and as for bridges. Are they building some at kellystown? I don’t believe they plan to but maybe I’m mistaken?

imo they should, it’s a green field site and won’t offend anyone.

daft if they don’t

Just looked at the plan.

a pedestrian and cyclist bridge!

no logic there at all really

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Braids

IMPORTANT REMINDER - Submissions by Residents to Iaranrod Eireann are DUE

COOLMINE TRAIN CROSSING

PORTERSTOWN TRAIN CROSSING

CLONSILLA TRAIN CROSSING

ARE DUE NO LATER THAN CLOSE OF BUSINESS THIS WEDNESDAY 6th OCTOBER 2021.

IF THIS DECISION PROCEEDS-it will severely impact All Residents - Closing off Access from Ambulance/Fire Services as well as

GARDA SIOCHANA. IT will also cause daily backups and delay to traffic attempting to exist at:-

1. Diswellstown Junction (FATHER TROY BRIDGE)
    2. Laural Lodge Road (going LEFT ONTO GRANARD BRIDGE (aka Humpty Back Bridge) to Blanchardstown or RIGHT towards Castleknock
    3. Carpenterstown Road past College Gate

HERE IS THE LINK TO FOLLOW TO MAKE YOUR SUBMISSION:-

https://www.dartplus.ie/en-ie/projects/dart-west/public-consultation-round-2/how-to-engage-contact-us

If you want continued vehicle access over the above locations - get your submission IN NOW

Thanks

So what you're saying is that, effectively, you don't want the necessary investment in public transport that can deliver the high frequency service that the railway line deserves?

Retaining the level crossings is incompatible with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Braids

Hi LXFlyer,

Thank you for your reply. There are crossings on the current DART line whose Gates open within seconds of the DART passing through. At Coolmine in particular, the crossing used by most vehicles of the 3, the gates remain shut and do not open for up to 30-40 seconds at the earliest. The electrified DART crossings are not permanently closed to vehicular traffic - there is no reason to do the same at Coolmine, Porterstown or Clonsilla if this system is logically implemented.

Iaranrod Eireann's own other option - OPTION 10 - is to install a vehicular pathway UNDER Coolmine's current rail lines (over the Canal) to facilitate traffic WITHOUT disruption to trains passing over. Representatives of Iaranrod Eireann advised in their Webinar on Tuesday 28th September that Option 10 was removed due to matters relating to infrastructure - most probably costs.

Also a good point - where are the passengers from the NORTH side of Coolmine Crossing & Clonsilla Crossing going to park their cars? There are no parking lots adjacent to Kirkpatrick/Rockfield estates? The necessary infrastructural plans between Iaranrod Eireann and Fingal County Council do not exist (except for some new traffic lights on Carpenterstown Road...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

`The comment about Dart LC opening seconds after the train passes has obviously never waited at a crossing.

I live near Sydney Parade and am very familiar with the crossing. The gates close for 2 mins for a southbound (Bray bound) train and 3 mins for a north bound (City).

That means for a 10 min service, as now, the gates are shut for up to 50% of the time, depending on the actual overlap of the closures.

If the schedule goes to 8 trains per hour from the current 6, the gates will be closed for 66% of the time. Of course, this does not take account of the commuter and Wexford trains, so closure could get to nearly 100%.

Merrion Gates is a major probably a critical crossing and needs to be permanently closed as it frequently gets a truck strike causing massive delays.

LC gates are very dangerous.

The level crossings on the railway south of Pearse are at absolute capacity as it is. You cannot operate a higher frequency along that section of railway line for that reason. They are planned to be closed as part of the DART+ Coastal phase of the project. The DART+ West plans a much higher frequency than that on the railway south of Pearse.

I will repeat myself. A high frequency railway line such as is planned under DART+ for the Maynooth line and level crossings are incompatible. You cannot have both.

Projects such as this are always going to be subject to cost controls - and if the cost of a particular alternative option were significantly excessive then you cannot expect any government to sanction it.

Re your comment on parking - people can take a bus (there may weill be feeder buses in time) or walk to the station? Why do they necessarily need to drive there?

I understand your frustration, but ultimately as a society we will all have to change our behaviour to a degree and stop being completely wedded to motor vehicles. We cannot continue with the status quo.

As someone who grew up with the dart being built through my back garden I am well aware of the gate closures on each line. If you are familiar at all with coolmine I think you will understand braids point, as you could wait for 4 or 5 trains to pass through for up to 15 minutes quite easily. There could be 6 to 7 minutes between trains. It’s a joke. That doesn’t happen along the dart line.

The length of time barriers stay down is directly linked to the signalling, and the length of the signal sections on the raiilway. The signal sections on the Maynooth line are longer than those on the existing DART line.

While the Maynooth line is to be resignalled as part of the DART+ project, at the same time the frequency of service is planned to be higher than the every 10 minutes on the southern section of the existing DART line which would render the gates pretty much closed semi-permanently at peak times.

You cannot operate a railway at the planned frequency levels and retain the level crossings. They are incompatible.

What is more, as a frequent user of the Coolmine crossing, there are a significant number of drivers who already ignore the red lights. If the number of times the gates are closed goes up, the potential for serious accidents will exponentially increase as drivers will be queueing for several closures.

I supported the option of a separate railway bridge at the alternative place which was rejected by most of the community, but there is no option except closing the gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Leave the gates down from 7 to 9 am and from 430 to 630 pm. They are the only times the trains will be running at anything like the frequency IE are talking about. At least then people will know they're closed and can plan accordingly.

The other 20 hours of the day, it operates as a standard level crossing.

IE improves the signalling so that the gates aren't down for ten minutes at a time.

Done.

There is absolutely no need to remove it completely. The only people who benefit from closing it permanently are IE. Not rail users, not residents, and certainly not the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

DART is intended to have a consistent frequency throughout the day, then add in commuter and Sligo trains and the gates would be closed all day.

Off-peak, the current service runs twice per hour. That drops to once per hour on weekends. The Docklands service does not run off-peak or weekends at all. The Sligo train runs once every two or three hours and the last one leaves Connolly around 7pm. There really is very little traffic on the line for the bulk of the day.

If the demand was there for a much more frequent train throughout the day, we could do it tomorrow without a single cent of infrastructure.

Even if you allow for population growth along the line, it is absolute fantasy to think that we'll be going from the current situation to having trains zipping through every five minutes. It simply will not happen outside rush hours.

Closing the crossing permanently makes life easier for IE but it isn't needed.

Post edited by Former Former Former on

The plan is for a minimum 10 minute DART service all day as per the existing DART line in each direction plus additional longer distance services.

That simply is not compatible with retaining level crossings.

I'm open to correction here but that isn't in the current proposals?

What I see in the current plan is

"Increase train capacity from the current 6 trains per hour per direction up to 12 trains per hour per direction subject to demand."

"Capacity" isn't the same as actual frequency of service. "Up to" and "subject to demand" give them infinite wiggle room as to what is actually provided. We currently have "capacity" for a lot more services than actually are run, it will be the same after the upgrade.

From my personal perspective, I don't give a shyte about the crossing. If it takes nine minutes to get to Tesco once a week instead of five, I'll manage. I'm far more concerned that IE will get bogged down in unnecessary disputes and challenges thus delaying delivery of the service.

IE are already massively behind schedule on this project. They need to be looking at ways to speed up the process, not digging their heels in and saying if they can't have everything they want then they're not playing anymore.

Finally, the current DART service manages with multiple level crossings and sharing the line with an intercity route. It doesn't make sense to say that we absolutely cannot do it on the Maynooth line.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are intents to get rid of the crossings on the existing DART service and indeed across the entire network.

Retaining a crossing is not going to happen.

So what? One DART line would be every 10 minutes and the other wouldn’t?

Come off it. You’re deluded if you think otherwise. A 10 minute frequency off-peak would give a 20 minute frequency to both M3 and Maynooth.

The idea that you would spend millions on new rolling stock, electrification, and re-signalling and not ramp up frequency in the peak and off-peak significantly is a nonsense.

The premise of DART by the NTA is to provide a turn up and go service throughout the day.

At the risk of repeating myself, the other DART line is at capacity already with regards to the level crossings south of Pearse, and they are limiting the addition of extra services and it is planned to close them.

The delivery of this project needs to be done properly now - not do piecemeal implementation. That’s what went wrong with the LUAS Green Line when all hell broke loose over potentially closing Dunville Avenue.

Hang on. Let's be civil here. No need for the "come off it" and "you're deluded" bits. Equally, I never said we wouldn't ramp up frequency so it's not fair to use the word "nonsense" about something I never said. I just think the actual increases in frequency will be far more modest than what is being suggested here and indeed IE themselves seem to have toned down the promises.

IE could implement something close to a turn up and go frequency tomorrow if they wanted, but they haven't done so. There are 1-2 trains per hour outside peak times and they're usually very quiet. We just don't need that frequency of trains on the Maynooth line. I appreciate that a lot of development is planned for the next few years but the line will still be servicing a suburban area that is not nearly as densely populated as the catchment of the current DART line. In addition, if more and more people are working from home, even on a hybrid basis, then we won't need to ferry thousands of people in and out of the city centre every day.

The plan for the current DART line is "assessment and potential closure" of the LCs, not a blanket closure. Now maybe that's IE being cute in kicking the can down the road and the outcome of the assessment is already pre-judged, but by drawing a line in the sand and saying "absolutely no level crossings" then suddenly they're putting a huge barrier in their own way.

Like I said, I don't care about the opening or closing of the crossing as such, but I have grave concerns over the IE's ability to manage complexity and anything that can simplify and speed up delivery should be on the table. They are a year into this project and they are already a year behind schedule. A change in mindset is required.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is not the stock nor signalling block capacity to introduce such a service now.

A "change in mindset" to cripple the project by caving in to nonsense is not something we require now or ever.

DART catchment is not that high density - lots of three storey townhouses one side and the sea the other.

If a change in mindset isn't required, then something else needs to change. Personnel maybe. Again, a year into the project and already a year behind schedule. That's quite an achievement. They wasted the first public consultation with plans they knew would generate massive public backlash. How did they know? Because an identical plan generated huge backlash ten years earlier. That was absolutely mental and there's no way to describe it other than gross incompetence.

I've been getting the Maynooth train for over 20 years and I've been hearing plans for electrification for the entire duration. I just want them to get going on it; if the service has to be 10% short of perfect then I'll live with it if it means it actually gets built. I'll bet anyone actually getting the train will agree with me.

The two posts are not incompatible.

LXFlyer mentions a minimum 10 minute Dart service both ways, so on average a train will go through every five minutes.

Former mentions capacity of up to 12 trains per direction every hour, so at full capacity a train will go through every two and a half minutes.

For me, if we in Dublin 15 want a proper DART service, we should close the level crossings. Simple as.

The problem is the public want it both ways, they want the level crossings open and they want a very regular fast service. The two are incompatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

The Level Crossings are closing.

End of discussion.

The public consultation will consider solutions to mitigate any issues causes by the closure of the crossings.

The public consultation is not designed to ask car drivers if they think their journeys are more important than rail users.

Because the answer is no, they aren't

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I reckon from personal experience that for a turn up and go service, the minimum frequency is about 10 mins. Less frequent then I would check the time tables.

LC on the Dart during peak service are closed about 50% of the time. If the service was 5 minute interval, they would be closed all the time.

LC are dangerous for people and cars because the orange light means the gates are about to close so hurry up, while the red flashing light means you had better really hurry up because the gates are about to close, and the gates closed means you will be late. Cars race across with the red lights flashing and the gates already beginning to close. Madness. Having said that IR have installed ANPR cameras to detect these mad drivers, but not implemented them.

I wonder why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Such arrogance

Just because you say end of discussion, that doesnt make it so.

Discussion on it continues. Locals will have their say.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement