Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Nintendo: Switch Online

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Had an hour with the emulator today and it runs really well. I have gotten further in super ghouls and ghosts then I ever managed before with the help of the rewind feature;)

Anyway it's a great line up of games to start with. Super soccer is one I didn't expect to see their. I'm not s big football fan but it's a great game with a nice twist when you win the world cup.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

AMGer wrote: »
    I still have the original box for the first one complete with Virgin Megastore price tag - 53 old punts, the SNES games weren’t cheap!

£60 was the price of most games back then. When the N64 hit, I remember paying something like £79 for Turok.

There were a few cheaper titles like Mario Kart and F-Zero were priced around £39.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

My biggest regret in life is not getting to play a link to the past when it was first released. It is mind blowing now. I could only imagine what it was like back then.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Only had a quick go of metroid and super Mario World but the games seem to play a lot better than they do on the snes mini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Only had a quick go of metroid and super Mario World but the games seem to play a lot better than they do on the snes mini.

I'm looking forward to the inevitable Digital Foundry video analysing the emulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Mess around with the settings you can select original, pixel perfect or CRT effect if you really want to feel like the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Super Tennis, the memories, took a few hours this evening to knock the rust off but I’ll enjoy playing this again. Still one of my all time favorite sports games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

My biggest regret in life is not getting to play a link to the past when it was first released. It is mind blowing now. I could only imagine what it was like back then.

That and Ocarina are tied for my favourite game of all time. LttP on release was indeed mind blowing, it masters every single facet of game making/design. It still holds up beautifully today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Any updated thoughts on the Switch Online offering for SNES games? Has the library expanded much?

Also, if I get the individual option, can I play SNES games in a co-op with the kids? Where can I get an up to date list of games available as of now?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

https://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/nes/ (List)

SNES is up to 34 games, NES is 55.

You can play co-op on games that support co-op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mini bump, but this is the best place for it. Interesting article on Gamespot -

Opinion: Deep cuts and obscure gems are nice, but Switch Online's NES and SNES libraries are still missing many games that defined those consoles.

Link: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-switch-onlines-library-will-never-feel-complete-without-big-third-party-games/1100-6491736/

Hard to argue with, to be honest. They are right - there are a ton of missing games on both consoles in the Switch Online app.
    The 5 being added on Wednesday are pretty poor (apart from Joe & Mac - I have fond memories of that, but it could be rose tinted glasses) :o

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Mr E wrote: »
    ...apart from Joe & Mac - I have fond memories of that, but it could be rose tinted glasses...

The arcade version of Joe & Mac was great, don't think the home versions measured up to that, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Further evidence that at least Gameboy games are on the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm looking forward to some rarer stuff appearing from the Gameboy, I wonder if they'll add some Super Gameboy functionality, that would be fantastic, especially with Donkey Kong and Space Invaders on the GB.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

It would be a sensible move to add more platforms to the online service, it's a bit barren at the minute. And I'd like to see what GBC games they add as I never played any of them. But this is still rumour territory, one guy from Eurogamer's twitter feed or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If there are games designed for 40 or 50 inch screens, Gameboy games have to be them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You could probably fit all the decent gameboy games into one 4k screen ...

(3840 x 2160) / (160×144) = 360

Yes, and plenty of room for the not so good ones 😊

NES & Super NES - March 2022 Game Updates - Nintendo Switch Online

Three additional classic NES and Super NES games are now live for Nintendo Switch Online members. Earthworm Jim 2, Dig Dug II & Mappy Land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Putting up Earthworm Jim 2 and not one is obviously a case of them just getting whatever's available and cost-effective, but it does feel a bit like trolling. **** games are one thing but a **** sequel to a good game is always unforgivable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I always felt that Earthworm Jims natural home was on the Megadrive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kwazar

Any good deals around for online family service? How much should I expect to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Still no Mystical Ninja hopefully the next batch of releases whenever that may be.

If you have both the local and Japanese Switch Online services, you might notice that they have a difference this release.

We get Congos Caper, which is a little m'eh

In Japan, they get Umihara Kawase, which pretty great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,479 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

That last game, they could play that tune while people queue in Dublin airport 😆

Nintendo has announced 3 Kirby SNES releases for Nintendo Switch Online. They are: Kirby’s Dream CourseKirby’s Dream Land 3, and Kirby Super Star.

Sligeach, I could kiss you!

I mean, I won't, but with news like this I could!

NES & Super NES - July 2022 Game Updates - Nintendo Switch Online

Three additional classic NES and Super NES games are now live for Nintendo Switch Online members!

- Fighter's History

- Kirby's Avalanche

- Daiva Story 6: Imperial of Nirsartia

And for Japan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,805 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Daiva 6 is baffling. I've never heard of it. Seems it's from a 7 part series of games, one of which was on Famicom and the rest on other platforms. All tell the same story of a war but each one is from a different perspective. Nintendo have released a password to let you skip to the shooting parts as it's probably impossible to get there if you don't understand japanese.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah I had to Google it as well. Thought maybe the number was just part of the name but turned out it was a whole series that had 6 games out by 1986.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Goeman of any kind is badly needed on NSO I'd even take the N64 versions

Advertisement