Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5-4-1 Experiment

Options
  • 16-08-2018 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭

They talked on the scoutcast last nite about big strikers being finished with. Last season when it was obvious I was doing sh!t I switched to four at the back, it failed miserably.

So now I'd like to run an experiment on going all out from the back to see how it would compare with my actual team. I'm happy for it to be a shared effort so if anyone has any strong feelings on the current midfield or strikers let me know.
    Have the C on Mendy for the weekend, purely because I think he'll do better than Salah
    Team ID: 5015321

DDG - Hamer
    Mendy - Robbo - Walker - Alonso - PVA
    Hazard - Salah - Ricki - Mane - Guendoesi
    Ings - Joselu - Success

Guendoesi- Ings - Success on the bench this week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think the points will fluctuate a lot across the defensive line with 5 at the back.

How many clean sheets would you be expecting on average per week? Obviously fixtures dependent but in general. Just feel it will lead to more heartbreak. 5 players could just as easy return 10 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Sorry, this isn't my real team thats entered in leagues. This is a team set up purely to see how it goes with 5 at the back

Love it.

Think Ings is a good shout but if you could also get a 6.5m option up front if would give you more scope for transferring in other strikers around that price point.

I really liked Motrovic at the weekend and that price point allows a fair bit of flexibility with your lone striker.

I don’t like Alonso as he won’t be as attacking and I don’t fancy Chelsea to be that tight. You could downgrade him to Bellerin (maybe after this weekend) and that may allow you a more reliable striker than Ings.

I think Arsenal will get tighter as the season unfolds and Bellerin was still the top 8th scoring defender last season regardless of what people think of him or how poorly Arsenal did. I rate him.

You could even chance Shaw until he is dropped or gets injured so you have Jose defence covered.

If you did go with Ings and Mitrovic then Kamara would be your 4.5m bench fodder striker in case Mitrovic got injured.

I’m into this now.

It’s tempting because Aubameyang is the only striker I think I really want.

• Advertisement

See I reckoned I'd made an exception for PVA (cause he's PVA) and downgrading to 5m is kinda going against the idea. But there is scope to say drop Mane for Pedro and upgrade Ings or Joselu to Mitro
    I think all premium strikers are off limits

Edit: I'd also be open to swapping Alonso for Bellerin

I’m not sure if price alone dictates premium.

If Shaw plays 38 games he’s a premium defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Just on Alonso, he has still been getting forward a fair bit under Sarri... from the preseason and opening games. He could be getting forward less than before but it didn't really look it to me.

So

DDG - Hamer
    Mendy - Robbo - Walker - Alonso - Shaw
    Hazard - Salah - Ricki - Pedro - Guendoesi
    Mitro - Joselu - Kamara

?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭dahat

This experiment is 1 Kane hat trick from blowing up! It's easy to say strikers are dead when none are in form at this stage, Lukakau & Kane start banging them in then it's back to 343 again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

It's easy to forget that in earlier years of fantasy football defenders were often the players to own. There's certainly a lot of tempting options with defenders this year though playing 5 for me every week would be a stretch. 4 though definitely yes. I still think medium price strikers will provide value. Mitrovic/Zaha/Arnie are the 3 I would rate with the highest potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Completely disagree with the thought that premium strikers are finished with.

Kane, Aguero, Aubamayeng etc will all be right up there at the end of the season, injury permitting.

I’ll be rolling with 2 premium strikers all season. Currently I’m Aguero and Firmino and will probably have Kane and Aubamayeng in a few weeks.

I will follow with interesting though. Good idea.

Paully D wrote: »
    Completely disagree with the thought that premium strikers are finished with.

Kane, Aguero, Aubamayeng etc will all be right up there at the end of the season, injury permitting.

I’ll be rolling with 2 premium strikers all season. Currently I’m Aguero and Firmino and will probably have Kane and Aubamayeng in a few weeks.

I will follow with interesting though. Good idea.

Very few will go without any premium striker. What will have most managers thinking though is investing in a premium defender(or two) instead of a mid priced mid or fwd(or two)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'm pro-defenders so curious to see how this goes! They are the best value right so this has to work!! Week to week it'll be fairly brutal but I think in the long run it could do alright.

Changed the team to
    DDG
    VVD - Robbo - Mendy - Walker - Alonso
    Bilva- Salah - Hazard - Ricki
    Mitrovic

Hamer - Guendozi - Joselu - Kamara

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I played 5 at the back for one game last season.

I was knocked out of the LMS after doing so.

My 5 defenders returned 2, 1,1,0, 0

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Rikand wrote: »

Looks like a broken binary code

Looks like a broken binary code

Looks like my bench boost from last season

Green&Red wrote: »
    Changed the team to
    DDG
    VVD - Robbo - Mendy - Walker - Alonso
    Bilva- Salah - Hazard - Ricki
    Mitrovic

Hamer - Guendozi - Joselu - Kamara

GW2-GW6 this score 293 on rmt which seems pretty respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Can you afford Ings instead of Kamara ? Or have the price increases stopped this?
    I like the idea, that defense could get some serious points.

• Advertisement

Colking wrote: »
    Can you afford Ings instead of Kamara ? Or have the price increases stopped this?
    I like the idea, that defense could get some serious points.

Only 5.3m left

jimmii wrote: »
    GW2-GW6 this score 293 on rmt which seems pretty respectable.

Its showing me 335?
    Versus 334 for my actual team :(

Although it does have pedro as being dropped on FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Colking

Ah, maybe Ings instead of Joselu ? Joselu will get limited minutes with Newcastle but Rondon is going to squeeze him out soon enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

Rikand wrote: »

may I be so rude as to ask your FFS name?

I went 523 in week 1, usually go 3 atb & cheapish options but saw too much value in defenders... long season I know but did well in week1. back 5 was: Mendy, Walker, PvA, Robertson & Coleman. only Coleman didn't score well but with his fixtures i'm sure that'll change

Its showing me 335?
    Versus 334 for my actual team :(

Although it does have pedro as being dropped on FFS

I think you have a different range selected! Don't think any team is going to be averaging 67 a week for 5 weeks!

I would probably try save a touch on Alonso and upgrade mitrovic to Arnie. I don't think it would be against the spirit of it still. Luiz or Davies maybe? Still premium but allow the upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

may I be so rude as to ask your FFS name?

I'm not on FFS

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057747628&page=24

Thats the thread from last season where I played my 5man defence. Alonso, Bavies, Duffy, Lascalles, Naughton was my defence. All had good fixtures. All let me down. Elliot was in goal. Between the 6 of them i got 6 points

jimmii wrote: »
    I would probably try save a touch on Alonso and upgrade mitrovic to Arnie. I don't think it would be against the spirit of it still. Luiz or Davies maybe? Still premium but allow the upgrade.

I’m going to say no for now, have absolute dirt up front and 5 x 6m defenders until we have something cheaper to classify as premium.

We could spread the midfield money? Hazard is an extravagance

I’m going to say no for now, have absolute dirt up front and 5 x 6m defenders until we have something cheaper to classify as premium.

We could spread the midfield money? Hazard is an extravagance

I think as long as the team is selected with the intention of playing 5-4-1 you should be able to work within that. Hazard is always and extravagance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PARlance wrote: »
    Just on Alonso, he has still been getting forward a fair bit under Sarri... from the preseason and opening games. He could be getting forward less than before but it didn't really look it to me.

Same old Alonso.

Advertisement