Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Fitzpatrick - Irish Water was a Fianna Fail brainchild.

• 25-04-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭

Looks like Mary Fitzpatrick has forgotten that "Irish Water" was a Fianna Fail brainchild

http://www.thejournal.ie/fianna-fail-dublin-election-plan-1432658-Apr2014/#comments

Shame on her to base part of her campaign on attacking Irish Water when her party thought the whole thing up.

http://irishpoliticsandmedia.blogspot.ie/2013/12/text-of-fianna-fail-agreement-with.html

More dishonesty from FF - the more things change the more they stay the same

From FFs Memorandum of Understanding with Troika-2010

Water services reform

The Commission for Energy Regulation (CER) will carry out consultations to determine the framework for household water charges with a view to start charging by the end of the EU-IMF programme period. The CER will also conduct consultations in due course to determine the pricing methodology for the non-domestic sector.

The Government will publish the General Scheme of a Water Services Bill with the aim of defining the regulatory framework for the water sector under a national public utility setting and providing for the establishment of Irish Water in its final form. There will be prior engagement with the European Commission as appropriate, in developing the legislative arrangements.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I see they are against the property tax too

This was their idea too !!!

Here is a link to the actual memo of understanding

http://www.imf.org/external/np/loi/2010/irl/120310.pdf

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The campaign must be having an impact to warrant Mary having her very own thread! :)

Most FG & Labour candidates would acknowledge that the governments implementation of water charges could have been handled much better.

The campaign must be having an impact to warrant Mary having her very own thread! :)

Most FG & Labour candidates would acknowledge that the governments implementation of water charges could have been handled much better.

Thats whataboutery.

Lets talk about the FF campaign. Do you agree that the campaign you are putting forward is disingenuous and cynical.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

3 years in and the Fianna Fáil made us do it excuse is wearing a little thin. If we wanted Fianna Fáil we would have voted Fianna Fáil. A plague on all their houses.

touts wrote: »
    3 years in and the Fianna Fáil made us do it excuse is wearing a little thin. If we wanted Fianna Fáil we would have voted Fianna Fáil. A plague on all their houses.

This isnt about the government . Lets hold them individually accountable for water charges and property tax that they imposed.

this is about Fianna Fail pretending that they hadnt planned these charges themselves.

It reminds me of when Fianna Fail tried to recently hijack a disability protest and were chased out of it by the bona fide protesters.

Dishonesty at its most cynical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

raymon wrote: »
    This isnt about the government . Lets hold them individually accountable for water charges and property tax that they imposed.

this is about Fianna Fail pretending that they hadnt planned these charges themselves.

It reminds me of when Fianna Fail tried to recently hijack a disability protest and were chased out of it by the bona fide protesters.

Ah FF trying to reinvent history yet again. The reality is the economy was in tatters after them. I shudder to think what would have happened had they stayed in longer.
    The current crowd may not be perfect but Jesus things have come a long way under their stewardship. Really can't understand the mentality of someone who votes FF any more after the last time. They turn my stomach tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

I think you are mixing up dishonesty and incompetence. Fianna Fail are the most incompetent and we should never vote for them again. In contrast Fine Gael and Labour are the most dishonest. They promised us "frankfurts way or Labours way" and "Not another cent to the banks". But the moment they had the ministerial pensions in the bag they turned Quisling and bowed to everything Frankfurt and the Banks demanded. They became more Fianna Fail than Fianna Fail themselves.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,452 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

touts wrote: »

Mary Fitzpatrick and Fianna Fáil have set out a manifesto for Dublin which can be read here.

FG & Labour have controlled Dublin councils for ten years and they have left a lot to be desired.

Mary Fitzpatrick and Fianna Fáil have set out a manifesto for Dublin which can be read here.

FG & Labour have controlled Dublin councils for ten years and they have left a lot to be desired.

Yet another Fianna Fail press release Sierra ? Are you serious ?

Your party has bankrupted the country - dont try to pin the woes of Dublin on anyone else.

Your party should be down at the Simon community and St Vincent de Paul helping to repair the damage that was caused by the dishonesty , greed and brown envelopes.

Yet another Fianna Fail press release Sierra ? Are you serious ?

Just pointing out the manifesto considering the thread is about Mary Fitzpatrick. I can voice my opinions too, I won't let you put me off.
    Your party should be down at the Simon community and St Vincent de Paul helping to repair the damage that was caused by the dishonesty , greed and brown envelopes.

I have volunteered with both organizations myself, what are you doing to better your community asides from posting on Boards.ie?

• Advertisement

I have read this manifesto - looks very similar to Ivor Calleley populist literature from the 2000's. Have you guys been employing him as a consultant?

Will you also post the following link on your new FF press office blog that you have linked to ? http://www.imf.org/external/np/loi/2010/irl/120310.pdf

It is very informative about what policies FF had signed us up for ( Water charges, Propoert Tax ) in 2010 . This is after your party bankrupted the country and handed over our soverignty.

I have volunteered with both organizations myself, what are you doing to better your community asides from posting on Boards.ie?

Since you ask : I have supported Simon , St Vincent de Paul and Salvation Army for many years now . I started supporting St Vincent de Paul when I got my first job and then later started supporting Simon and Salvation army.

All three do great work and I am very happy to support them .

Since your party bankrupted the country I have increased the support that I normally give to all three .

Thanks for asking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

I was listening to Mary Fitzpatrick and her manifesto for Dublin on the radio the other night, she was spouting the bull about FG & Labour controlling Dublin councils for a decade. I know she's running for Dublin in the European election, but she genuinely seemed ignorant of the fact that the national government has a wider remit than just dublin, she couldn't address the issue of water charges in the rest of the country, she was incapable of answering the most basic questions. She seemed to think the purpose of the discussion was to chant Duublin as often as possible. I had visions of her stumbling around Brussels looking for a restaurant that served coddle and Guinness. If she gets a seat it will only be marginally less embarrassing than sending one of the Healy Raes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Cedrus wrote: »
    I was listening to Mary Fitzpatrick and her manifesto for Dublin on the radio the other night, she was spouting the bull about FG & Labour controlling Dublin councils for a decade. I know she's running for Dublin in the European election, but she genuinely seemed ignorant of the fact that the national government has a wider remit than just dublin, she couldn't address the issue of water charges in the rest of the country, she was incapable of answering the most basic questions. She seemed to think the purpose of the discussion was to chant Duublin as often as possible. I had visions of her stumbling around Brussels looking for a restaurant that served coddle and Guinness. If she gets a seat it will only be marginally less embarrassing than sending one of the Healy Raes.

I don't think she will get the EU seat, but it's early days.

Anyway much as I dislike FF, she will probably get a TD seat in the next election, name recognition and all that.

Some people's memories are so short, and any bullcarp that is spouted is believed.

But then again the current government is failing badly in people's eyes aswell. Where is the reform? The amount of money doled out from the LPT yield to fund Irish Water is beyond belief, and who is in charge? Look it up.

Sorry probably have taken this off topic, but it was mentioned by the candidate mentioned above.

I don't think she will get the EU seat, but it's early days.

While it is early days, I would agree with you that it looks unlikely at the moment. Although the more I think about it, the more I feel that the Dublin European election race is very hard to call given that there are only three seats with multiple high profile candidates.

The Sunday Independent are releasing the results of their Dublin opinion poll analysis tomorrow so that should be interesting, should give us a good idea where all the candidates are placed at the moment.

The Sunday Independent are releasing the results of their Dublin opinion poll analysis tomorrow so that should be interesting, should give us a good idea where all the candidates are placed at the moment.

Yes - Mary Fitzpatrick not doing too well even in the Sunday Independent poll . This must be very disappointing given the amount of posters that I saw in Dublin recently . Looked like every second flagpole from the M50 to the liffey . Seems like Michael Martin is throwing everything into Fitzpatricks campaign to save his own skin.

Maybe FF should shift from a dishonest and cynical campaign - pretending that Irish Water and the Property Tax weren't a Fianna Fail idea in 2010.

Maybe you should base her campaign on an honest basis instead. Maybe something she has achieved, or some unique and positive quality or characteristic. Im not seeing how trying to hoodwink the voters is ever a good policy - this benefits Sinn Fein - not Fianna Fail

On the contrary, quite a positive poll. Mary Fitzpatrick is still in with a good chance of taking a seat.

In anycase the European elections, especially the Dublin one, are essentially media campaigns. I reckon we could see big changes in public support levels over the next three weeks as the media campaign kicks off.

On the contrary, quite a positive poll. Mary Fitzpatrick is still in with a good chance of taking a seat.

In anycase the European elections, especially the Dublin one, are essentially media campaigns. I reckon we could see big changes in public support levels over the next three weeks as the media campaign kicks off.

Yes - exactly . Your media campaign has started off quite dishonestly in my opinion - attacking Irish Water and the Property Tax , both of which were instigated and committed to by your party Fianna Fail. How can you justify this cynicism?

The super quango you talk about was a Fianna Fail project

http://www.thejournal.ie/fianna-fail...2014/#comments

For the record I dont like paying either property tax or water charges , but your party bankrupted the country and the current government have put me in a position where I have to pay.

This is an attempt by Fianna Fail to hoodwink the public. Sinn Fein will be the ultimate winners in the Fianna Fail dishonesty.

The water charge amnesia / dishonesty is not paying dividends for the self described "new candidate" Mary Fitzpatrick.

Paddy Power has her at 11/2 at the moment to win a seat.

Note to Fianna Fail - there is no need to stuff any more leaflets through the doors or put up any more posters. if you think she will win just throw a couple of hundred on her and go on a nice holiday with your winnings !

Advertisement