Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 MLB Regular Season Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭paulelectronica

Just back from NY where I saw the last 6 Mets games at Citifield. 3-3, could have been worse as they should have lost that game you mentioned and other wins were both walk off homers. I had a great time at the games but Ollie Perez is beyond a joke now. He has to go!

Im yet to go to citifield was at shea alright and I agree Perez has to go. Lost the last 3 games now and playing the Marlins again tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Im yet to go to citifield was at shea alright and I agree Perez has to go. Lost the last 3 games now and playing the Marlins again tonight.

The funny thing is that although they're a bad team, except for last night the games they're losing are only by a run or two and the defeat on Thursday came on a walk off passed ball so they're still hanging in games, despite not playing great.

We know the pitching's poor (even Santana's struggling and Pelfrey's early season form is dropping off now just like it did last season and K-Rod's lost a bit of his edge too) but the offence is really struggling. Bay's batting in the clean up position yet he only has 1 home run, David Wright strikes out at least 2-3 times a game and Francouer's lost all confidence in his hitting. If it wasn't for Barajas they'd be 10 games or so behind instead of the 4 they are at the moment. Hopefully Ike Davis plays well and maybe Carter from the bench will get more pinch hitting at-bats than the useless Gary Matthews Junior!

At one of the games I was at last week, GMJ came into the game for a pinch hit and struck out without even swinging his bat. 4 pitches, 3 strikes and a ball and he sat back down without the bat leaving his shoulder! If it was any other team I'd have fallen around laughing but I nearly cried.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Benbolo

Did anyone see A-Rod's bomb last night off of Papelbon? and the Marcus Thames? I was distraught, but you have to give it to them if they're gonna knock it out like that to win the game.

Good whinge from the Yankees last night over the Red Sox claiming injury to give the guy in the bull pen more time to warm up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Mariners are really stuck in a rut at the moment!

Dont even start me on it...

This is what the fifth fcuking year of sub par mediocrity.

*sigh*

I read somewhere you're not really a sports fan unless you've followed a team through at least five years of doldrums...

• Advertisement

Interleague starts tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Interleague starts tonight!!

Great start by Dice-K last night. Even singled at his first at-bat. And 8 innings of 1-hit ball. Savage stuff.

8-10 wrote: »
    Great start by Dice-K last night. Even singled at his first at-bat. And 8 innings of 1-hit ball. Savage stuff.

Halliday v Wakefield is on at the moment and quite interesting. Watching a knuckleballer really is a funny thing to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Halliday v Wakefield is on at the moment and quite interesting. Watching a knuckleballer really is a funny thing to see.

Yeah I watched it alright, good game. About time Wake pitched well.

Just watched the 9th inning of the Mets v Yankees game last night. As a Mets fan I don't think my heart would have taken it if I'd watched it live. Turning a 6-1 lead into 6-4 with men at the corners with A-Rod at the plate and it goes to 3-2! What an exciting finish to the game.

• Advertisement

Mets win 5 in a row against Yankees and phillies (didn't concede one run) and then loose the following 2 against the brewers.

Mets win 5 in a row against Yankees and phillies (didn't concede one run) and then loose the following 2 against the brewers.

and that just about sums up the Mets. It's so frustrating being a fan. Just when you think they've turned the corner and are going to challenge, they step back into their old ways.

It really does. its frustrating being a fan at times. really thought those wins against yankees and phillies was going to change the mets season.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Did anyone see the Detroit Tigers pitcher being robbed of a perfect game by a bad call from the umpire. Bottom of the 9th with 2 outs i don't know how he made that call. It was nowhere near safe! Have seen it about 20 times and each time it looks a worse call. I'm gutted for Galarraga.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/tigers/23774819/detail.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

portumna wrote: »
    Did anyone see the Detroit Tigers pitcher being robbed of a perfect game by a bad call from the umpire. Bottom of the 9th with 2 outs i don't know how he made that call. It was nowhere near safe! Have seen it about 20 times and each time it looks a worse call. I'm gutted for Galarraga.

Another great reason to bring instant replay into MLB, such a bad bad decision..

portumna wrote: »

Holy Sh*t! The Tigers blown call is escalating into a major deal. I include a link below that i'm not sure wil work but it should be all over the web now. I love the reaction of the commentators, plain disbelief.

Poor Galarraga. Unbelievable.

AT least Galarraga will go down in baseball history as the guy who caused the rule change to allow challenges and instant replays, because it looks like they'll introduce it within days.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/MLB?vid=d9a3222a-f2fe-456e-86cd-c84bf9fe1eac

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Holy Sh*t! The Tigers blown call is escalating into a major deal. I include a link below that i'm not sure wil work but it should be all over the web now. I love the reaction of the commentators, plain disbelief.

Poor Galarraga. Unbelievable.

AT least Galarraga will go down in baseball history as the guy who caused the rule change to allow challenges and instant replays, because it looks like they'll introduce it within days.

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/MLB?vid=d9a3222a-f2fe-456e-86cd-c84bf9fe1eac

Handled well by everyone involved as well (well except Selig!)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Handled well by everyone involved as well (well except Selig!)

I don't see how Selig didn't handle it well. Reversing the call could open up a can of worms. Suddenly people will be asking that every dodgy call be reversed.
    Take Thursday night's Mariners vs Twins game for example...bottom of the 10th, terrible call at 2nd on what would have been the 3rd out, Mariners scored the winning run on the same play. I'm not saying the Twins would have won that game, but the call certainly lost them the game..

Whether his name goes into the record books or not doesn't really matter, Detroit won the game and in everybody's eyes Galarraga pitched a perfect game.
    The irony is, it will probably go down as the most famous perfect game of all...

I don't see how Selig didn't handle it well. Reversing the call could open up a can of worms. Suddenly people will be asking that every dodgy call be reversed.
    Take Thursday night's Mariners vs Twins game for example...bottom of the 10th, terrible call at 2nd on what would have been the 3rd out, Mariners scored the winning run on the same play. I'm not saying the Twins would have won that game, but the call certainly lost them the game..

We were there. Left in the 8th when it was still tied, but my gf's nephews stayed on till the end. Being Mariners fans though the decision seemed pretty much correct!
    (it was wednesdays game, last night they won it 4-1).

Whether his name goes into the record books or not doesn't really matter, Detroit won the game and in everybody's eyes Galarraga pitched a perfect game.
    The irony is, it will probably go down as the most famous perfect game of all...

But remember its only been done 18 times since 1900, its an extremely special and rare event. Its rarer than pitching a world series winning game. Its a huge deal in baseball. I imagine most pitchers would sell their souls for a perfect game.

• Advertisement

We were there. Left in the 8th when it was still tied, but my gf's nephews stayed on till the end. Being Mariners fans though the decision seemed pretty much correct!
    (it was wednesdays game, last night they won it 4-1).

I slept through Thursday which explains my confusion as to the day of the game :D

As another Mariners fan, I wasn't really complaining myself.
    How bout Ichiro's heroics, fouled off, what...6 before the hit :cool:
    If they follow up with a good series against the Angels I might start to get my hopes up..
    But remember its only been done 18 times since 1900, its an extremely special and rare event. Its rarer than pitching a world series winning game. Its a huge deal in baseball. I imagine most pitchers would sell their souls for a perfect game.

Something tells me that with 3 in the past month, they're about to get a lot more common

Yeah, you're probably right. It probably would open up a can of worms. I just feel sorry for yer man.

Something tells me that with 3 in the past month, they're about to get a lot more common

Hitters aren't on drugs anymore so you never know!

If they follow up with a good series against the Angels I might start to get my hopes up..

ARgh.

Sorry...

hopes crushed...

again.

ARgh.

Sorry...

hopes crushed...

again.

And the worst thing is, even if we sweep Texas we won't gain much ground :(

Anyone watch Strasburg last night? Impressive stuff.

Anyone watch Strasburg last night? Impressive stuff.

Yeah he was very impressive... his fast balls and change ups were very impressive... glad to see he didnt panic when he got behind on the count.. hes got some future ahead of him... very exciting to watch even though im a yankees fan.. ;)

even if we sweep Texas...

:o

Sigh. At least they didnt sweep us. I watched Felix's humiliating 7-1 loss. The last night I turned the tv off when we were down by 8 (went onto lose by 10!).

Looking forward to another subway series this weekend hoping the Mets can win it again , on good form lately also

• Advertisement

Looking forward to another subway series this weekend hoping the Mets can win it again , on good form lately also

As a yankees fan i'll def disagree with you, Vasquez pitching tonight, Hughes tomorrow night and Sabathia on sunday.. Hopefully 3 wins :D;)

Advertisement