Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2008 Playoff Thread

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Kinda32

juvenal wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see if the Rays can hold on to their top players after this season's performance. They probably don't have the resources to offer top dollar to players, which we can see from their payroll this season. Expect some departures in the off-season.

Only Kazmir ($2 mill), Pena ($2 mill)and Crawford ($3 mill) are due increases of note. Baldelli and Floyd are free agents which releases $5 mill from this year. Most of their players aren't even salary arbitration eligible yet which is amazing given their success.

What will be very interesting is if they are able to tie up BJ Upton to a deal similar to Longoria (who will be earning 0.55 mill next year!!!!! What a steal that is) and back load the contract giving them time to presumably increase the popularity of the team in the area.

Anyway, guess all that talk is still on the backburner for them. Good luck to the rays in the world series. They outplayed the Sox (who as earlier said have alot of issues for the winter) and deserve their place in the WS on merit.

Should be an interesting series, but if the rays bats can stay hot they will surely feast on Myers, Moyer and Blanton.. Cole Hamels better win Game one for the Philllies sake!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Youkilis is a steal at 3.5mil, as well. He's been a huge asset to the Sox.

WYK
    Kinda32 wrote: »
    Only Kazmir ($2 mill), Pena ($2 mill)and Crawford ($3 mill) are due increases of note. Baldelli and Floyd are free agents which releases $5 mill from this year. Most of their players aren't even salary arbitration eligible yet which is amazing given their success.

What will be very interesting is if they are able to tie up BJ Upton to a deal similar to Longoria (who will be earning 0.55 mill next year!!!!! What a steal that is) and back load the contract giving them time to presumably increase the popularity of the team in the area.

Anyway, guess all that talk is still on the backburner for them. Good luck to the rays in the world series. They outplayed the Sox (who as earlier said have alot of issues for the winter) and deserve their place in the WS on merit.

Should be an interesting series, but if the rays bats can stay hot they will surely feast on Myers, Moyer and Blanton.. Cole Hamels better win Game one for the Philllies sake!!

wyk wrote: »
    Youkilis is a steal at 3.5mil, as well. He's been a huge asset to the Sox.

WYK

He is due a big increase as he is nearing the end of salary arb.. Wonder if they will offer him a multi year deal this winter now that they have freed up a big chunk of payroll (Manny $20m and Schilling $9m).. Seems like a practical time to do it. He's about as valuable as they come for the Sox..

Also might they offer Paplebon and Pedroia multi year deals. I know Paplebon was annoyed last year when they didn't..

Back to the playoff's, was just looking at the TV schedule. Its a shame that all the games are at 8p.m Eastern. It really is very late. I presume its to accom the west coast a little.. but too late for me that's for sure..

So the phillies win Game 1.. It was a must win for them in my opinion with Hamels on the mound. Now the series is interesting.. Lets see what 'Big Game' James (think that 'big game' stuff is comical considering this is his first playoff season!!) can do tonight against Brett Myers. You figure the next 2 games should go to Tampa (Garza vs Moyer on Sat) but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I tried to care when I was watching the condensed game this morning...but I just couldn't. I cant figure out if I want the AAAA team to lose because they should, or the Rays, because we'll have to listen to it all next year in the AL East.

• Advertisement

zuutroy wrote: »
    I tried to care when I was watching the condensed game this morning...but I just couldn't. I cant figure out if I want the AAAA team to lose because they should, or the Rays, because we'll have to listen to it all next year in the AL East.

Could be much much worse - the Yankess could be playing...
    It's good to see that, a least SOME of the time, you can't just buy a World Series.

WYK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

So it looks like the Phillies are gonna win. How does it happen in a season so long, that a team so far from the best can win!?

zuutroy wrote: »
    So it looks like the Phillies are gonna win. How does it happen in a season so long, that a team so far from the best can win!?

It's simple, really. The 'best' team doesn't play as well as the competition. ;)

WYK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Just walked in the door from work, thought there's no way it'll still be on, and literally caught the last two pitches!:D

Phillies are WS champs - good for them and the NL! A bridge too far for TB. Perhaps the long and taxing series against the Red Sox took it's toll.

Well, it's back to the NBA and the NFL until April.:D

I miss baseball already. But I return to Texas after this week. The moderate winters(it was 28* there yesterday) mean I get to practice at the batting cages most the winter, at least. I live within 20 minutes of the Dell Diamond(http://news8austin.com/content/Weather/weather_stations/Station3/) which is an Astros franchise minor league park. Did I mention I know Nolan Ryan? I live 15 mins away from the guy(he has a home in Cimarron Hills, Georgetown, TX).

Still, I'll miss Ireland. Cheers!

Wes
    juvenal wrote: »
    Just walked in the door from work, thought there's no way it'll still be on, and literally caught the last two pitches!:D

Phillies are WS champs - good for them and the NL! A bridge too far for TB. Perhaps the long and taxing series against the Red Sox took it's toll.

Well, it's back to the NBA and the NFL until April.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement