Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shannon Water for Dublin?

• 10-08-2020 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭

Does it make sense that the state would spend billions piping water from the Shannon to Dublin? Apart from the controversy about costs and fixing the leaks in the system would it not make more sense to make a new urban development area near water and space i.e. Athlone or similar. This would reduce traffic housing shortages etc. etc.

Solution to Dublin Water Crisis 46 votes

Yes. Pipe it from the Shannon
    76% 35 votes
    No. Fix leaks drill use existing resources better.
    10% 5 votes
    Create new urban area away from Dublin.
    10% 5 votes
    Something else.
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yeah the problem with it being like Athlone, is being like Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yeah the problem with it being like Athlone, is being like Athlone.

Well Athlone has the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

saabsaab wrote: »
    Well Athlone has the water.

Cut back on showers or live in Athlone... It's a tough one. :pac:

Cut back on showers or live in Athlone... It's a tough one. :pac:

Dirty in Dublin, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Well if they do, as a denizen of the wastelands outside the pale, I be taking a pee in the Shannon. :)

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement

Well if they do, as a denizen of the wastelands outside the pale, I be taking a pee in the Shannon. :)

Just Dublin taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

If anyone has seen the film Brewsters Millions then you know the solution. Tow an iceberg into Dublin Bay.

If anyone has seen the film Brewsters Millions then you know the solution. Tow an iceberg into Dublin Bay.

Cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Where did the "billions" suddenly come from.

Sounds like a fake bs headline from a sh1t rag like the evening hysterical or their British equivalent Irish daily muck.

The Shannon has excess water. It's relatively clean. Dublin needs water especially when you see how little rain can fall at times which puts strains on the system.

This is future proofing the water supply and that is to be commended. For too many years, "future proofing" never went past the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

... would it not make more sense to make a new urban development area near water and space i.e. Athlone or similar. This would reduce traffic housing shortages etc. etc.

Which do you think would cost more: building a big pipe, or building 'Dublin-on-the-Shannon'?

• Advertisement

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Which do you think would cost more: building a big pipe, or building 'Dublin-on-the-Shannon'?

Taking everything into account, over the long term, I'd say the new capital would cost less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Taking everything into account, over the long term, I'd say the new capital would cost less.

Not sure that I agree with you; where would all these new jobs come from?

Using much the same logic, the goverment could cancel the national broadband plan, and tell everyone to move to some town where they do have broadband

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Not sure that I agree with you; where would all these new jobs come from?

Using much the same logic, the goverment could cancel the national broadband plan, and tell everyone to move to some town where they do have broadband

Not talking about moving Dublin as it is there but new development. Easier to spread broadband than to move a basic need like water or open space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Dublin has taken all the jobs and young people from rural Ireland..might as well take the water as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

with the advent of widespread WFH developing a place like Athlone seems a really good idea

with the advent of widespread WFH developing a place like Athlone seems a really good idea

You would think so but not getting a lot of support on the thread.

Two or three summers ago we had a prolonged period of hot, dry weather. No rain in Dublin for 6+ weeks.

Outside my apartment is a large green area which turned brown - aside from three or four little oasis's next to the irish Water manholes where water was visibly leaking and making the grass green and lush.

I sent pictures into Irish Water but they were too busy doing Bikram yoga because I never got an acknowledgement.

There is zero point in spending money transporting water from the shannon to Dublin, if its going to leak into the ground on the way or when it arrives.

From what I gather 50% of Dublins water is being lost!
    The system is unable to cope, little is being done to improve it and will lead to bursts even if Shannon water is pumped there.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mains-supply-awash-with-leaks-behind-dublin-water-shortage-1.3561620

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Dublin has taken all the jobs and young people from rural Ireland..might as well take the water as well!

Probably better than them being taken by the U.K., US or Australia?

'Pump it from the Shannon' just turn the tap and out it comes.

It's not going to be that simple at all, legal cases, heritage issues EU and environmental problems. Even if it came the system won't cope without massive further upgrades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

From what I gather 50% of Dublins water is being lost!
    The system is unable to cope, little is being done to improve it and will lead to bursts even if Shannon water is pumped there.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/mains-supply-awash-with-leaks-behind-dublin-water-shortage-1.3561620

It's about 45% and includes "unaccounted" usage.

The best in the world runs about 20% lost/ unaccounted water.

But if we don't want to pay for it, we can't expect it to get much better

Darc19 wrote: »
    It's about 45% and includes "unaccounted" usage.

The best in the world runs about 20% lost/ unaccounted water.

But if we don't want to pay for it, we can't expect it to get much better

It will only get worse as Dublin expands and the existing system degrades. expect increasing problems every summer.

Advertisement