Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : 2019 and Winter 2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Strike in south kilkenny
    Some off mid wexford coast now too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The cloud tops really blowing up now as the storms are making their way inland across much of Britain.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Strike in south kilkenny

Just remember there is some distortion. Best look for tight clustering of strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Muir

On a plane in Gatwick. Been delayed by 3 hours and now the sky is lighting up around us as we wait to takeoff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Strike in south kilkenny

Keep in mind that there will be a lot of false strikes showing around Ireland on the live lightning maps tonight because Ireland has very poor lightning detector coverage and with the hundreds of strikes per minute happening in the south of Britain there will be a few false returns that slip through the cracks before validation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Some big drops here now in Durrow, Laois.

Torrential rain and frequent lightning in Portsmouth

http://www.hmswarrior.org/webcam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Satellite looking more benign south of us now. Not overly inspiring.

Time to call it a night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭Rougies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

KevBrads (better known as 'Mr. Data') over on TWO captured some nice lightning in Manchester last night. Timelapse video (starts at about 1.00m)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

What a non event for us again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

jimmynokia wrote: »

Yup. If I want sparks I will resort to the youtube railway cams in the USA.

Why did I move to this Fecking island when the other one has better thunder??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It was never to be an event for us anyways, Estofex never even gave us or had in the slight margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Any chance of any sparks in the West today or tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

ZX7R wrote: »
    It was never to be an event for us anyways, Estofex never even gave us or had in the slight margin.

I guess the point that was being made by jimmynokia was not about the specific forecasts per se, rather it’s about the fact that we are sick and damn tired of the endless, year after year, same patterns of intense heat and severe thunderstorms always, always, ending up just 100 to 200 miles east of Ireland with us largely losing out every single time.

Why oh why does the really hot air always end up the spine of the UK? Why is Ireland always on the wrong side of whatever the UK gets? Always a close but no cigar setup. If the UK gets a blast of 15c+ 850’s, we usually end up with 5 to 10c and the lions share of the cloud.

We a thundery breakdown happens, we usually don’t have the high surface temps to break the caps. Even though we are usually closest to the fronts, we usually have nothing firing over here. And if the storms migrate from England towards us, it’s usually early the next morning when they are dead and just throws a load of crappy overcast wastage over us which kills our max temps the next day.

I fear that none of this will ever change for us really.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

ME saying thundery showers tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

ME saying thundery showers tonight.

Wouldn't surprise me
    Lots of acca about,south wicklow north wexford

• Advertisement

glightning wrote: »
    I guess the point that was being made by jimmynokia was not about the specific forecasts per se, rather it’s about the fact that we are sick and damn tired of the endless, year after year, same patterns of intense heat and severe thunderstorms always, always, ending up just 100 to 200 miles east of Ireland with us largely losing out every single time.

Why oh why does the really hot air always end up the spine of the UK? Why is Ireland always on the wrong side of whatever the UK gets? Always a close but no cigar setup. If the UK gets a blast of 15c+ 850’s, we usually end up with 5 to 10c and the lions share of the cloud.

We a thundery breakdown happens, we usually don’t have the high surface temps to break the caps. Even though we are usually closest to the fronts, we usually have nothing firing over here. And if the storms migrate from England towards us, it’s usually early the next morning when they are dead and just throws a load of crappy overcast wastage over us which kills our max temps the next day.

I fear that none of this will ever change for us really.....

People seem to forget though just where we are positioned in the great scheme of things. The UK is always going to be more prone to real heat and thunderstorms simply because of its geography.

Fair enough though, for thunderstorm lovers, Ireland is probably the worst place in the world to live, but the UK, despite getting these very occasional big events, is not much better. Many parts of the UK can just as easily miss out.

New Moon

+ a lot of People here have a strange impression about what a Thunderstorm actually is. What we get 99.9% of the time is not a Thunderstorm, I would call it simply thunder. Few claps and flashes is very far from being a Thunderstorm to me.

+ a lot of People here have a strange impression about what a Thunderstorm actually is. What we get 99.9% of the time is not a Thunderstorm, I would call it simply thunder. Few claps and flashes is very far from being a Thunderstorm to me.

We have to take what we can get. Every rumble is precious.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    People seem to forget though just where we are positioned in the great scheme of things. The UK is always going to be more prone to real heat and thunderstorms simply because of its geography.

Fair enough though, for thunderstorm lovers, Ireland is probably the worst place in the world to live, but the UK, despite getting these very occasional big events, is not much better. Many parts of the UK can just as easily miss out.

I’m well aware of the geography and the very short sea track between France and southern UK. I also well aware that once the air is into southern England during a SE’rly it results in a long land track with no water to modify (cool) or down.

Also understand that the Irish Sea is cold, so any heat on the mainland UK does not make it here without significant modification.

Doesn’t change the annoyance of it all.

It’s annoying that LP systems that deliver the heat to England (when combined with HP to the east) encroach on Ireland so much all too often rather than staying a little further west so we can at least join in the fun a little more often...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Saw a picture of the lightning on a Portsmouth Newspaper and some were taken from a hill overlooking the City, in the flash you can see the car park is full of cars and people outside them taking pictures of the lightning, clearly storm chasers the lucky people.

Keep scrolling through the ten pages

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/weather/17-spectacular-pictures-of-lightning-in-skies-above-portsmouth-1-9009226

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Saw a picture of the lightning on a Portsmouth Newspaper and some were taken from a hill overlooking the City, in the flash you can see the car park is full of cars and people outside them taking pictures of the lightning, clearly storm chasers the lucky people.

Keep scrolling through the ten pages

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/weather/17-spectacular-pictures-of-lightning-in-skies-above-portsmouth-1-9009226

Lucky people for sure but I refuse to click through the pages, I hate those click heavy websites that withhold the information to gain click traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ominous looking clouds all evening in West Clare. Very interesting shapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Another lively day predicted for the UK tomorrow, and a RED alert for parts of South Central Scotland / Northern England

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2019-07-25

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Another lively day predicted for the UK tomorrow, and a RED alert for parts of Scotland

Don't hype, convective weather don't do colour based alerts, that's simply colours on a map.

It's high risk.

Anyway, on the high risk, this is mentioned:

"Strong deep layer shear, with some backing at the low-levels, suggests a couple of supercells will be possible, capable of producing very frequent lightning, large hail 3-4cm in diameter and, if storms can remain surface-based, the risk of a tornado or two."

Beautiful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Another lively day predicted for the UK tomorrow, and a RED alert for parts of South Central Scotland / Northern England

Very jealous of the UK. A record breaking 39° predicted tomorrow and more heavy thunderstorms tomorrow night. We just get the boring weather.

The Atlantic ruins everything for us.

Advertisement