Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The old joke about Irish Railway stations was that they were never near the centre of where they were serving. The tourist asks why this was, and the local answers that 'we like the stations to be near the railway lines!'

Belfast Central is not central to Belfast.

I like the Cross Guns name.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It's not!!

The proposed station about 300m from the walls of the cemetery and around 200m more would have you in the entrance at the gravediggers.

Well, it is just across the canal from Broadstone, and the station is 1.2 km from the Met Eireann office. It is on the southern edge of the Glasnevin townland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The old joke about Irish Railway stations was that they were never near the centre of where they were serving. The tourist asks why this was, and the local answers that 'we like the stations to be near the railway lines!'

Belfast Central is not central to Belfast.

I like the Cross Guns name.

Belfast Central is no longer called that, btw.

The location of this Cross Guns station straddles the modern divide between Phibsboro and Glasnevin, and I think it would be weird to call it either. Griffith Park is much more of a "Glasnevin" station if I ever saw one.

As an aside, I've been buying a house recently and it's hilarious the extent to which people will go to convince others their Ballymun-located house is actually in "Glasnevin North" or somesuch.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

marno21 wrote: »
    people from Cork call Cork Airport Ballygarvan

What?!! No they don't, I've never once heard it called that!!

Source, from Cork, everyone in Cork just calls it Cork Airport or just, The Airport.

BTW I like Cross and Gun and agree that it would cause less confusion then Glasnevin. A cool name and more neutral given the areas it straddles. It would quickly become the name for that area in between.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

bk wrote: »
    What?!! No they don't, I've never once heard it called that!!

Source, from Cork, everyone in Cork just calls it Cork Airport or just, The Airport.

BTW I like Cross and Gun and agree that it would cause less confusion then Glasnevin. A cool name and more neutral given the areas it straddles. It would quickly become the name for that area in between.
    I should have said SOME people from Cork refer to it as Ballygarvan, the same way some people from other areas refer to their airports by where they are rather than their name. Although compared to Carrickfin/Farranfore, Ballygarvan would be a lot less used in Cork than in Kerry/Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

marno21 wrote: »
    I should have said SOME people from Cork refer to it as Ballygarvan, the same way some people from other areas refer to their airports by where they are rather than their name. Although compared to Carrickfin/Farranfore, Ballygarvan would be a lot less used in Cork than in Kerry/Donegal.

I'm sure there is someone living in Ballygarvan that calls it that. But I've never once heard anyone from Cork City call it that. Most people probably don't even know that the airport is in Ballygarvan. In fact until you post, I had never even thought about it!

If someone in Cork said to were going to Ballygarvan for a flight, you'd be looked at like you lost your mind. It would be as weird as someone in Dublin saying their going to Collinstown for a flight. Imagine asking a taxi driver to drive to Collinstown, lol.

Mod: Can we get back to the Metrolink, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Asset location: Glasnevin
    Asset function: Junction

Sure let's just call it Cross Guns/White Spot/Hedigans for the laugh. Give tourists a hard time finding the Glasnevin Museum and Geneology centre (cemetery).

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

Asset location: Glasnevin
    Asset function: Junction

Sure let's just call it Cross Guns/White Spot/Hedigans for the laugh. Give tourists a hard time finding the Glasnevin Museum and Geneology centre (cemetery).

It's not being built for tourists - and as people have said above it's at the very edge of Glasnevin, Phibsborough shopping center is a 5 min walk from it. In fact I saw a local councillor's submission objecting to the naming as "Phibsborough" would be more appropriate!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Dats me wrote: »
    It's not being built for tourists - and as people have said above it's at the very edge of Glasnevin, Phibsborough shopping center is a 5 min walk from it. In fact I saw a local councillor's submission objecting to the naming as "Phibsborough" would be more appropriate!

Yes that's true and tourists was just an example. Naming it Phibsboro is sort of fine because it's a well known place, as is Glasnevin (although the location is not in Phibsboro).

Once it's built I'll take Cross Guns or Phibsboro so long as there's a Metro to get in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,460 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Speaking of tourism - it'd be good to see the Cross Guns/Glasnevin/Phibsboro station encourage the idea of a pedestrian bridge crossing the Royal Canal and the train line somewhere here:

25jRQVn.png

This would provide easy access from that station to Cabra Luas stop (and in reverse: easy access to the Metro station for most of the people of Cabra East), as well as a more tourist/pedestrian friendly route to access Glasnevin Cemetery (the Finglas Road is not pedestrian friendly).

I'd like to see this as a standalone project, mind you, but I think the building of this station could provide another reason to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭LongboardPro

I feel like having "Gun" in a station name would be controversial for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,248 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cross Guns actually sounds like a train station name to me for some reason. It sounds like the name of a tube station in London. I realize it’s not rational but yo my ear it works

I feel like having "Gun" in a station name would be controversial for some reason.

Well they have Gunnersbury tube station - it is near Chiswick in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jd

I think Cross Guns would be a great name and easy to remember .
    Also the Metro will be going across two Dart Lines, so kind of apt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭gjim

Actually the townland where the station will be is called Crossguns apparently which you can see with Openstreetmap's townlands layer for Ireland: http://dev3.openstreetmap.ie/osm/slippymap.html?zoom=17&lat=53.36544&lon=-6.27254&layers=B00FTFFFFFFFFFFF

Googling, revealed some history of the townland here: https://www.facebook.com/GlasnevinHeritage/photos/cross-gunscrossgunsa-pageviewer-asked-us-about-cross-guns-and-asked-if-it-is-in-/548970778586927/

Not sure whether the question belongs here or in the DART expansion thread but is it planned to allow PPT trains to switch to the Midlands line into town at this location? I don't know if introducing the trackwork to allow such movements is feasible or desirable at this point? But it would be nice to be able to route some Kildare DARTs to the Docklands as an alternative to competing for slots in Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Qrt

At least it's better than the neighbouring townland of Slutsend.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gjim wrote: »
    Not sure whether the question belongs here or in the DART expansion thread but is it planned to allow PPT trains to switch to the Midlands line into town at this location? I don't know if introducing the trackwork to allow such movements is feasible or desirable at this point? But it would be nice to be able to route some Kildare DARTs to the Docklands as an alternative to competing for slots in Connolly.

Yes, they're planning on changing the layout of the tracks there to allow PPT trains to swap over, it's one of the first things they're going to do. This is because the line that currently goes through the PPT will be severed during the construction of Glasnevin (preferably Crossguns) station, so all trains will be sent down the docklands line instead.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, they're planning on changing the layout of the tracks there to allow PPT trains to swap over, it's one of the first things they're going to do. This is because the line that currently goes through the PPT will be severed during the construction of Glasnevin (preferably Crossguns) station, so all trains will be sent down the docklands line instead.

A Ballybough station wouldn't go amiss so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jd

It mightn't be a bad idea for those of us who like the idea of naming the station "Cross Guns Station" to say so in our submissions.

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    It mightn't be a bad idea for those of us who like the idea of naming the station "Cross Guns Station" to say so in our submissions.

It was basically my entire submission really, I'm a southsider (one of the good ones, i.e. west of Terenure) so the nitty gritty isn't a big deal for me, basically said get on with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And ending it in Swords?

Won't somebody please think of the children.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 designshexagon

Name aside, an artists impression of the "Glasnevin" station has been released. Looks like a shared main entrance for both rail and metro with 4 sunken above-ground rail platforms. Looks like they are planning escalators that take you directly from the rail platforms down to the metro platforms. Des Kelly Interiors, the Brian Boru pub and a few houses/offices will be demolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It'd be a real shame if they designed that station like that, leaving the space above the station, at street level to be wasted. 18 Storeys of apartments should be a minimum here, the most well connected point in the country.

cgcsb wrote: »
    It'd be a real shame if they designed that station like that, leaving the space above the station, at street level to be wasted. 18 Storeys of apartments should be a minimum here, the most well connected point in the country.

18? Where did you get that figure from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Qrt wrote: »
    Tallest building in Cork is 17 stories, gotta be bigger than that obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Qrt wrote: »

Structures start to get expensive at a greater rate per m above that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭Shedite27

This thread has got a lot less angry since we cut off the southside

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Name aside, an artists impression of the "Glasnevin" station has been released. Looks like a shared main entrance for both rail and metro with 4 sunken above-ground rail platforms. Looks like they are planning escalators that take you directly from the rail platforms down to the metro platforms. Des Kelly Interiors, the Brian Boru pub and a few houses/offices will be demolished.

It's a shame they can't put an underpass and have an entrance on the other side of prospect road.

People connecting from buses from finglas or anyone living in the whitworth, lindsay road, iona areas are going to have to use two sets of traffic lights to cross prospect road to get to the station safely.

• Advertisement

It's a shame they can't put an underpass and have an entrance on the other side of prospect road.

People connecting from buses from finglas or anyone living in the whitworth, lindsay road, iona areas are going to have to use two sets of traffic lights to cross prospect road to get to the station safely.

I'm sure they'll add another pedestrian crossing to the Whitworth junction if enough people mention it, surprised it's missing at all really.

Advertisement