Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Navan Rail Line

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There is provision but the size of the underpass in terms of width and height is the great unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This thread is 13 years old and not even a sign of anything. Will it be lucky 13? I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

My banjo post was removed.😁

Despite that I remember the statement being referred to in a live radio interview in 2007. And here we are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that's your opinion sure.

but it's not a realistic one given both projects are very different and the poster gave the timeline from the route being cleared (as in land purchased ETC and any demolition ETC) to the opening.

that timeline including the legal stuff and construction would, at a minimum be a realistic timeline given it's only a very basic timeline which as i said is not thee timeline.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭ArcadiaJunction

If this forum have have existed when the original DART plan with the underground section was announce then most would be long dead by now waiting for the underground section.

• Advertisement

Its like being in a time warp with it all. But I have learned to realise that new generations come through and have no idea of the history. Therefore we go around the same stuff over and over. I have a very detailed knowledge of the Navan alignment. Not from Google maps/Earth but from actual site visits and walks well before they even existed. I watched the alignment get butchered over 20 years ago while a Government were still talking about reopening it. Kilmessan was always an issue going back many years but the M3 and then the Dunsany sewer main only added to the potential costs and yet again during a period when Government policy was to reopen the line. Lies were told.

The box built under the M3 to "apparently" facilitate the line was a complete fudge. It was built after locals attempted to protect the alignment despite the M3 already being under construction. This box is much lower that the original alignment which approaches the M3 on an embankment. That would require even more extensive engineering to make it workable. The current status of this box is flooded. Meath COCO were even involved in a legal dispute with the station house hotel in Kilmessan. The approach to Navan would require a bridge across an M3 access road. There are many other obstructions and I could type for ages about them.

Tom Finn of Irish Rail got removed from the project years ago when he said that under a cost benefit scenario you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. I was at that meeting. He was right. The latest talk about routing via Ashbourne and Dunshaughlin is baloney. Asbourne takes it miles off course and if you know the area and line, Dunshaughlin could easily be served with a Park and Ride in the Drumree. Adding more cost this project buries it even further.

The Navan line reopening has been a political football for years. Houses were sold on the promise of it as far back as the late 1990s. It sounded very simple back then, but Meath COCO in particular failed to develop a plan to make it work. I'd love to see it done, but Its not a runner now and your politicians know this. But like Noel Dempsey they will spin and spin, talk the talk and never ever make a plan that can walk the walk.

I'm gonna play a tune on the banjo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Consonata

You probably would know better but how was the railway meant to interface with Navan town? I can see the alignment here on satellite view, but it seems like a lot of houses would have to be knocked to get it off the ground. The alignment half disappears near the M3 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

I got roasted on here for daring to suggest that Drumree would serve Dunshaughlin. On that issue alone every serial objector will make hay, but I predict that the project will be undermined by that, Kilmessan and the M3 box. If the political will was there to do this project, it would have been completed fifteen years ago. Our pols love railways when they can posture about them being 'delivered'. It is an entirely other matter to actually deliver them.

I'd also add that the One-Two combo of TII/BIÉ and An Bord Pleanala has been disastrous for the provision of transport infrastructure other than roads. It is absurd that Bus Connects had to go through that process. The only way the Red and Green Luas lines got built after years of nonsense in the media was through the Light Rail project team and sole member tribunal review process. The Luas Line A, B and C reports are masterpieces of dealing with serial, frivolous and copy/paste objections. The principle taken was that these were serious detailed plans drawn up in line with Government policy. The alternatives were either colouredy lines on maps, or that the objections were so silly and had zero bearing on best practice elsewhere. More of that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭vswr

Ah, you were in the Transport 21 heyday.... of the 3 you mentioned, there has been numerous others scrapped, amalgamated, or re-launched as some other project.

M3 parkway and Cork Middleton were re-enabling of old lines.. (good oul Middleton, wasn't that meant to be an easy win election stunt?)

Luas B1 was the only substantial project of the 3, in terms of new infrastructure to be built (even if it was only a 7.5km extension), and the only reason it was pushed through was because it was holding up developments in Leopardstown, Sandyford and Cherrywood. It still took 10 years from concept to delivery.

Luas_Cherrywood_Construction_Update_29.pdf

edit: concept is not the best word, as the concept was there before 2000 (B1 was initially looked at potentially going to Bray). F&O / Project definition in the early 2000's better describes the timeline)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭loco_scolo

In terms of Navan Town alignment, they could go with the old alignment and have two sets of platforms (Dublin and Drogheda) and use the area between these as a new central bus depot for Navan with local buses going through the town centre and surrounding estates. It's all warehouses right now.

(There are some houses along the road on the right of the green area, which I shouldn't have shaded, not suggesting they be knocked!)

Two stations planned. Navan central on the site of the original MGWR station and Navan north in the vicinity of the former Kings Court line.

The approach to Navan passes close to St Columbus estate and crosses bothe the trim road and carriage road. It has been preserved to a degree in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Those houses wouldn't need to be knocked, but they will probably lose some back garden space.

The warehouses in the middle of town though, a bunch of those would have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I made a comparison to the timeline for a rail reopening project which is ongoing right now. You are right that both projects are very different, Navan would require a hell of a lot more work, building from scratch, so would undoubtedly take longer. If you don't want to believe me, Grandeeod has described how light there is to work with and some of the difficulties involved.

Now that you are adding additional things which would take more time, you are essentially agreeing that the timeline as outlined isn't realistic. The original claim was that "From a standing start you are looking at 7 years to go from concept to open for service", that isn't realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

If the new planning bill is successful at reducing planning time it might be easier than retrofitting existing lines for dart in some ways because you're not maintaining a service while building or worrying about heritage structures or level crossings or utilities crossings. It's a different kettle of fish easier in some ways, harder in others.

the poster was talking about a standing start from after the route was chosen and cleared of everything in the way.

they never claimed it was the whole timeline of absolutely every single thing because that wasn't what was asked.

Have you ever been in Navan? Have you ever actually been anywhere near the alignment? Seriously. I've avoided so much online debate about this project for years and when I come back to it all I see is blind ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

So route chosen and cleared of everything in the way before any consultation or even preparation of the RO application (nevermind submitting the application or it being granted, which was included in the timeline outlined)? CPOs will be necessary which requires approval from ABP and you certainly can't clear anything before that. Keep dig if you want.

The government loves rail advocates like you. You do their propaganda work, insisting that projects like this and WRC are viable and going to happen which takes the focus off meaningful rail investment projects. Decades later and very little delivered in that time but lots of reports and announcements. Still rehashing old tropes about a culvert under the M3 as evidence that the project will happen eventually, just wait a little longer.

If we were serious about connecting Navan to the rail network, we'd forget about the old alignment entirely. It has been gone for a long time so of no use at all. A new alignment isn't going to be any more difficult/expensive to deliver (have to build from scratch either way) but could actually sever other passengers on the 30km journey to Navan.

Not getting any sympathy from me dragging the "unviability" of the WRC into a discussion on Navan, and attacking a poster claiming they're pushing government propaganda....

On the Navan line, large sections have been cleared and subsumed into surrounding farms or built on (surely illegally?), but even larger sections are substantially still there and just need to be cleared to show its potential. The old alignment has the advantage of already being on a flat alignment. I'm not suggesting they don't consider new alignments, but let's be honest here..... they're just gonna go with the old alignment and use local buses and P&R to feed in passengers.

Note recent images of the WRC btw. Eamon said clear the line (Nov 30, 2023) and it started a week later, and now it's done:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I know it's old and out of date by now, but reading the old report into the Navan line is instructive. Even though they identified that a new alignment would be a good bit better, it still recommended going with the old alignment.

Irish politics can barely handle the Metrolink project, with it's clear cost benefit ratio, so a new alignment to Navan would be a huge step too far. Reopening an existing line, even if it requires much of the same work as designing and building a new alignment, is far more acceptable to the Irish political classes.

Not advocating either way here, but that's just my observations on all the previous rail projects that have been looked at over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Property is a bit of an unusual one. Anyone can claim "Adverse Possession" of any land, so long as they have been the sole maintainer of that land for 12 years. Is it illegal? No, not really. No one will go to jail for this, nor even face a fine if they're caught before the 12 years are up.

Once those 12 years are up, you can apply to transfer the deed into your name officially.

I'd wager that most of the route that has been seized has already passed the 12 year threshold at this stage.

Thanks for that. No one should face any fines or jail for it, absolutely not. I wonder if any of those people have applied, successfully or not, to transfer ownership into their deed. I'd wager no. Based on this, CPOing these sections shouldn't be an issue at all - they built on an old rail line, what argument could they possibly stand on?!

They CPO land and houses all the time for motorway construction and that happens very quickly. I don't see why that can't or won't happen here, now that the government have shifted their focus to public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It kind of doesn't matter: IÉ have avoided dealing with it on very well preserved alignments like Youghal just to avoid the long drawn out legal battles. It's not about the chances that the occupiers will win, rather it's about delays to the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Do CIE even still own the land? This was a fairly early abandonment so it could have been sold on. The only early exception I know of was the Harcourt Street line, which was probably an admission that it could be needed again in future.

That's where all the work the Greens have done in the background, with planning and legal changes, will start to pay off and enable a step change on planning and building these sorts of projects.

It was closed in 1963, five years after the Harcourt Street line. The line to M3 Parkway doesn't appear to have had much or any issues around its reopening.

The old alignment is to the right of the red lines below. These are screenshots of sections where the alignment is least visible.

It can't be denied that the alignment is gone in places, but it's mostly back gardens or side roads or farm use. The majority of the old alignment is still substantially available.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

North Kerry was also kept in CIE ownership after lifting, but I suspect this was all sold.

There are significant encroachments (as in built on or otherwise used, I presume they own the land) on the trackbed at some of the old stations, Kilmessan and Batterstown come to mind

you're the only one doing the digging.

you misunderstood what the poster stated and i tried to explain it to you.

the reason the government just do reports and nothing else is because it's what people voted for, the government don't want to deliver and enough people don't want to deliver.

actually, the government dislike rail advocates like me, because we show them what they don't want to be true.

but the tide is turning and we are going to win while people like yourself who talk of supposed "meaningful rail investment" which really boils down to the little bits you agree with and nothing else, are going to become an irrelevance.

about time as if we were a grown up country, we would have quite a decent rail network and service by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Glaceon

That's what I was thinking, the only two I knew that were kept were Harcourt Street and the North Kerry.

Advertisement