Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost need a bit of direction.

• 05-10-2020 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm 30 years of age and looking to start a career in IT. I left school early and didn't do the leaving cert. I have no experience of working in an IT environment and am pretty much starting from scratch. I was thinking maybe aiming towards either cyber security or networking.

I'm working full time at the moment but I am willing to leave work in the new year to enter full time education if necessary. I have 5 figure savings behind me so I would be able to manage ok.

Just looking for some direction on what to do. Should I get a degree or should I start with something like a compTIA cert.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

OK , unfair question time : do you, at 30, have the time to do a degree ?
    If you're married with kids and a mortgage is that really an option or do you need to get into work and make money ?

See my reply to the thread beneath this one, same advice applies. You cant really say "I want to get into IT" and thats the end of the conversation, its only the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

horgan_p wrote: »
    OK , unfair question time : do you, at 30, have the time to do a degree ?
    If you're married with kids and a mortgage is that really an option or do you need to get into work and make money ?

See my reply to the thread beneath this one, same advice applies. You cant really say "I want to get into IT" and thats the end of the conversation, its only the beginning.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not married with kids and don't have a mortgage. I know it's only the beginning was just looking for a bit of direction. Is a degree essential? Is it possible to get certified and get an entry level desktop support role? If so what certs? That sort of thing.

Just looking to do something with my life and start a career I'll never afford a house on my own with my current salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Having a degree will open a lot of doors that would otherwise not be an option for you.

The IT jobs market is supply and demand based, years ago companies were poaching students out of College when they had done a 1 or 2 year IT cert as there was massive shortages.

The good news is that a lot of IT industry certs are self study...Buy the books, book the exam, pass it and move on to the next one.

Read every resource you can online and get up to speed on what's in demand.

Also consider becoming an excellent software developer, might be an easier route to a well paid career working anywhere on the Planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

IT is one of the easier careers to get into without a degree. Excluding programming.

For networking, hardware and support end of things certs will go a long way.

I managed to do it. Got made redundant and chose to do something I enjoy again. Made the most of the unemployment system to upskill and educate myself.

Done a couple of MTAs, MCSA and CCNA. Done voluntary work. Got a very low paid entry IT job. Ended up on a 3 day week. Made the most of the unemployment system again and done an A+ and ECDL.

Now I’m more or less a junior sys admin.

So once you put the head down and focus on what you want. It’s possible.

Advertisement