Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pixel 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Basil3 wrote: »
    Interesting. I got my order in at 11pm, showing delivery of Nov 11-13.

Yeah I was going to order it earlier on and that's the dates I was getting got distracted then went back it was sold out.

Checked again later it was back in stock and that's the dates I got when I ordered it, ended up with a sorta sage one even though it will most likely have a black case on it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bawnBeag

Interesting, apart from this article, I couldn't find any official information on this. I don't think its a deal breaker even if the antennas for mmWave are not included. The infrastructure doesn't exist yet. 5G will still be supported on sub 6GHz which is/will be offered by mobile providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Stacksey wrote: »
    There's just nothing really flashy or innovative about this device, perfect if you dont have the bose headphones as they are brilliant. Interesting that the Pixel 4 is still more expensive than the 5

Well arguably that's the whole point. Trying to innovate with fancy features hasn't worked for Google previously, nor has putting high end specs and charging as much as iPhone's and Samsung's.

This phone is essentially them giving their 2 strongest things; the camera and the software, at a more affordable price. No gimmicks, just a good phone with hopefully a better battery, 90hz screen, water resistence, wireless charging, no bezels, all for €600. I imagine a lot more people will be interested in this than were interested in the 900e Pixel 4 just because that had project soli and face unlock! I certainly am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Yup, exactly. No interest in face unlock or waving gestures and if that means a much cheaper phone.. happy days!

The only slight downside I can see is the processor. I'm sure it's quick enough though.

If this phone had a 60 Hz display, I would not have ordered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

I've been checking the store on and off all morning and it's still out of stock :(

• Advertisement

dan786 wrote: »
    Waiting for Vodafone to list it, they are normally 50-100 cheaper then Google and then offer another 50-100 off if switching number. Would be a great deal with free headphones.

Vodafone have posted a pre-order page at a higher price (no VAT reduction) without a porting deal FYI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Phat Cat wrote: »
    I've been checking the store on and off all morning and it's still out of stock :(

Didn't last long...hopefully more stock soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

I'm very late to this but are Google "sold out" of pre orders? Or do they normally add more stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Phat Cat

Pacifico wrote: »
    Didn't last long...hopefully more stock soon

Yep, pretty strange for them to run out of pre-orders. Hopefully when they restock they'll still have the Bose Headphone deal, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

Oh nooo, I got the email last night saying it had been released but was to tired and went to sleep thinking I'd order it early in the morning, only to find it was already sold out!!!

I can see there's a few others here on the same boat.... I'll keep an eye on the store to see if it comes back, some times they do this on purpose just to build up expectations and convince people they should stop thinking about it and just buy it quick because very soon it might go out of stock again! But I don't need convincing! ����

Anyways, if someone notices them back in stock before I do, please be quick to report here, I'll do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Odd that the Google UK store have no issues with stock, same for Amazon - still taking pre-orders there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Yup, exactly. No interest in face unlock or waving gestures and if that means a much cheaper phone.. happy days!

The only slight downside I can see is the processor. I'm sure it's quick enough though.

If this phone had a 60 Hz display, I would not have ordered it.

I guess also the slower storage and ram vs flagships.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

danicm wrote: »

Anyways, if someone notices them back in stock before I do, please be quick to report here, I'll do the same.

Too late for you but I saw "only black" in stock twice today. Got an order in the second time. I was hoping for a sage green but it'll be in a case most of the time so meh. The only case now not in stock is the one I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Keeping an eye myself. UK has black still in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

First hands on - never heard of this guy before but somehow he got a 5 from Vodafone UK.

He is replying to comments too!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

Phat Cat wrote: »
    Yep, pretty strange for them to run out of pre-orders. Hopefully when they restock they'll still have the Bose Headphone deal, but I doubt it.

Yes very very annoying! It works out more expensive on the UK store though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

It's expensive for a phone with a middle of the mark processor.

Preorder on Amazon UK also. £604 (€666) (extra £5 due to VAT difference I guess). They have black & green.

Only issue with Amazon in that you won't get the free Bose headphones because it's a UK only offer on Amazon.

In Ireland, headphones are available when purchased from either Vodafone or Google directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

JDxtra wrote: »
    Only issue with Amazon in that you won't get the free Bose headphones because it's a UK only offer on Amazon.

In Ireland, headphones are available when purchased from either Vodafone or Google directly.

Could you not just use Parcel Motel/Wizard if you need a UK address and still claim them?

I’ve it preordered with Amazon and that’s what I was hoping to do if the Google Store doesn’t release more stock on the Irish site.

• Advertisement

Could you not just use Parcel Motel/Wizard if you need a UK address and still claim them?

I’ve it preordered with Amazon and that’s what I was hoping to do if the Google Store doesn’t release more stock on the Irish site.

It would be nice to get clarity, but it does say "UK residents" only clearly. I expect these headphones will be sent out by an external provider (not Google or Amazon), so you might get stuck in a "computer says no" situation.

It's expensive for a phone with a middle of the mark processor.

Honestly, you could give someone a phone with a SD 645 and the same phone with an 845 and they wouldn't tell the difference.

For me, it's perfect. I don't game on my phone, and even if I do it will be xcloud or Stadia which isn't processor intensive. The phone is still going to be smooth, and have better battery life than with a more powerful chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

JDxtra wrote: »
    It would be nice to get clarity, but it does say "UK residents" only clearly. I expect these headphones will be sent out by an external provider (not Google or Amazon), so you might get stuck in a "computer says no" situation.

Should be ok. I just checked the terms from Google and it states:

“ This Promotion is only open to individuals with a shipping address in the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland over the age of 18 ("Participant"). Businesses are not eligible to participate in this Promotion.”

I couldn’t see anything that states you can’t purchase from a UK retailer once they’re on the list of approved retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭King_Joffery

Is there a waiting list that I can join to receive notification when the pixel 5 becomes available again on the Irish google store?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Is there a waiting list that I can join to receive notification when the pixel 5 becomes available again on the Irish google store?

Keep checking the buy now page, it seems to get a few eventually.

Like over a day eventually rather than minutes eventually

If you look on pixel-offers.com/bose it states that Vodafone and Google Store are the only qualified shops in Ireland. Whether they would reject an Amazon receipt I don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Will they ever sort out their supply issues though?

• Advertisement

SachaJ wrote: »
    If you look on pixel-offers.com/bose it states that Vodafone and Google Store are the only qualified shops in Ireland. Whether they would reject an Amazon receipt I don't know.

That would be my concern. The companies that run these services are usually very strict in terms of eligibility. One I had recently was for Sony, I had to hold the device in my hand with the serial number visible and take a picture. Lol.

On the Amazon site it quite clearly says UK only, so it's a risk. They may not deliver to Ireland if the seller was Amazon and they may not accept parcel forwarding services as a valid address.

Hopefully all will be OK though.

But Google, please release some stock to your Irish store!

Advertisement