Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony Xperia 5 ii (Mark two)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I was just coming in to say it's available.
    Just completed the Upgrade process.
    First the President results, then the vaccine news, now this phone. It's been a good week so far :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

rizzee wrote: »
    It's on the Vodafone website right now for 699.99 with the free headphones and 50 off when you port a sim from another network

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/sony/xperia-5ii.html?gallery=payg

I was going to pull the trigger on a sim free one but at €899, for one of these at that price it's tempting to switch to Vodafone, which I have been thinking of doing anyway. Too bad they only have black though.

It's a dual SIM phone so do they lock both SIM ports or just the main one to Vodafone that's what I would like to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

I was going to pull the trigger on a sim free one but at €899, for one of these at that price it's tempting to switch to Vodafone, which I have been thinking of doing anyway. Too bad they only have black though.

It's a dual SIM phone so do they lock both SIM ports or just the main one to Vodafone that's what I would like to know.

I would hazard a guess, as a dual sim phone it's sim free. I can neither confirm nor deny this :D

rizzee wrote: »
    I would hazard a guess, as a dual sim phone it's sim free. I can neither confirm nor deny this :D

Ah F3(K it just hit purchase there. the vodafone purchase site is soo clunky.

I just couldnt pass up that price vs the Sim free one and sure i already have a case and screen protector for it :p :pac:

I hope my passing on the Pixel 5 was worth it for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Ah F3(K it just hit purchase there. the vodafone purchase site is soo clunky.

I just couldnt pass up that price vs the Sim free one and sure i already have a case and screen protector for it :p :pac:

I hope my passing on the Pixel 5 was worth it for this

Nice one, best of luck :D Vodafone's €20 a month X Plan is really good too if you decide to move anyway, or I'm sure you could pick up an unlock code/know someone on VF PAYG who has spent over €120 in the last year they would be entitled to a free unlock code.

• Advertisement

Came today. Charging up now. I just went to the Sony Headphone claim page. Anyone know what counts as a 'Valid VAT Proof of Purchase"? I'm going to try a PDF copy of the Order confirmation email.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

I'd say that should be fine

Got an email back to confirm the application was received. Will know within 2 weeks (10 working days) if all is OK and if so it'll be another 30 to 60 days before I get the headphones.

Liking the phone so far. One curiosity of mine I can put to rest is that the headphones don't work through the USB c port.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭Ryath

flazio wrote: »
    Got an email back to confirm the application was received. Will know within 2 weeks (10 working days) if all is OK and if so it'll be another 30 to 60 days before I get the headphones.

Liking the phone so far. One curiosity of mine I can put to rest is that the headphones don't work through the USB c port.

Any chance you checked if it's locked to Vodafone?

Ryath wrote: »
    Any chance you checked if it's locked to Vodafone?

Looks like it is I'm afraid. Tried my mother's Tesco mobile sim in the phone, first as the second sim and then as the sole sim and both times it went to a network unlock screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

For those of you who have it what are any pros and cons so far?

Mine is waiting to be collected by an post so maybe I'll get it Monday or Tuesday.

Any one who got it from Vodafone, don't mind if it's locked it can be unlocked eventually one way or another.
    Is there any Vodafone bloatware or branding, like a startup screen or anything that can't be removed?
    If so I'll just return/cancel the order. It's the 1 thing I can't stand and it's a 100% deal breaker for me.

Just the My Vodafone app. Very unobtrusive. Slots in like any other app.

Headphones application approved. They will be shipped within the next 30 to 60 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

billbond4 wrote: »

Can you definitely get free headphones if you buy off Clove?

Amazon also have it discounted to £599 GBP so about the same as clove no headphones though,

My Vodafone one arrived yesterday gotta set it up soon and claim my headphones that I don't need :pac:

Can you definitely get free headphones if you buy off Clove?

I've emailed them to find out. Also works out about 15euro cheaper if you pay in pounds with revolut.

I've emailed them to find out. Also works out about 15euro cheaper if you pay in pounds with revolut.

Any clarification?

Any clarification?

Yes they replied earlier and said the headphone offer is applicable to all customers regardless of where it's being shipped to

• Advertisement

OK, not so straight forward. Cleaning up my email drawer and an email from a separate email address called campaign.administration.en@eu.sony.com had told me that the PDF of the order confirmation email did not constitute an invoice. Looking closer at the times of the emails both were sent on the same day but the eligibility confirmation email was sent after the Proof of purchase not OK email. Either way I've sent a picture of the only bit of paperwork that Vodafone sent with the phone, the dispatch note, and highlighted where the information sought is contained on the dispatch note. Hopefully that will sort everything out.

Does anyone have link to apply for headphone offer?

Does anyone have link to apply for headphone offer?

https://www.sony.ie/promo/xperia5-m2/headphones

My headphones arrived today.
    Setting them up at the moment and liking what I'm hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Currys have the 5 ii at €720 - is this the current best price for sim free or are there any other Irish sellers at a better price?

I think they're the only Irish sim free sellers at the moment, at any price unfortunately. Thanks Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I think they're the only Irish sim free sellers at the moment, at any price unfortunately. Thanks Brexit.

Ordered yesterday and due for delivery Tuesday. Have always liked the Xperia range, so to be able to upgrade to 5G at reasonable price is great. Have had the XZ1 since Christmas 2017.

Android 11 went in this morning and I don't see anything different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Android 11 went in this morning and I don't see anything different.

Plenty of updates to the do not disturb.
    External TV out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive an upgrade due and I hate Samsung phones which seems to be all Eir have at the minute - currently using a Mate 20 pro that I got 2 years ago on last upgrade that is a fantastic phone. Id be going Huawei again if they had google apps but unfortunately not at the minute.

I can get the Xperia 5II 5g free on upgrade..

Is it worth it?

Advertisement