Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Night Time Reading Recommendations for My 3 Year Old

Options
  • 09-09-2020 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭

Hey Folks,

Each night when I put my little one to bed I read her a chapter of a book when she's lying in bed. I've read the following to her:

Sophie (the book series)

The Faraway Tree

Now we're started on the first book of The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe

These are all well and good but starting on The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe made me realise that the language used is a bit too advanced for her. Do any of you have recommendations for a series of books I can read? We have lots of simpler books that I've read, Ladybird Bedtime Stories etc but we fly through these quickly and I'd like something that's small novel length so we can eke some time out of it and ideally a series so we can go from one book to the next.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It’s not a series but my 2 year old loves the Giraffe the Pelly and me by Roald Dahl. We started a few other ones but they were too advanced.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Mm, she is only 3, they are quite advanced for her to have any idea of what you are reading tbh. I have been reading these to mine from ages 2 to 6 so far....

Anything Julia Donaldson....What the Ladybird Heard, What the Ladybird Heard Next, The Gruffalo, The Cook and the King, The Smeds and the Smoos, Tabby McTat , The Ugly 5, Stick Man etc.

The Pencil and The Runaway Dinner.

Winnie the Witch...these are a series, there are loads of these.

The Princess in Black - again, a series.My 6 year old loves these, my 4 year old loses interest (both girls).

I tried Sophie on both my 6 and 4 year old and tbh, they weren't mad keen -I think they found it a bit boring!

Off the top of my head those are the few I can think of.My kids have a lot of books, and they often revisit favourites -so keep them around.Mine choose a book each at night off the shelf, if you try that you will see pretty quickly what she might like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

At three, I would still be going for short stories to hold the attention. We read three books a night to my almost three year old and they would be short enough but they are all different stories and the little fella picks different ones (or sometimes the same ones) each night. I know you have mentioned before that your little one has a speech delay so I imagine sticking to shorter,more engaging stories and picture books will encourage conversation while reading the books. Maybe try the library to see what sorts of books she enjoys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

shesty wrote: »
    Mm, she is only 3, they are quite advanced for her to have any idea of what you are reading tbh. I have been reading these to mine from ages 2 to 6 so far....

Off the top of my head those are the few I can think of.My kids have a lot of books, and they often revisit favourites -so keep them around.Mine choose a book each at night off the shelf, if you try that you will see pretty quickly what she might like.

Thanks Shesty, I'll look into those suggestions. Like your kids, she has a lot of books. Plenty of age appropriate books and then lots I've bought that I can read and re-read to her as she gets older. In the 'early' days I used to let her pick the books but now I've found it's best to just pick a book myself and run with it.
    At three, I would still be going for short stories to hold the attention. We read three books a night to my almost three year old and they would be short enough but they are all different stories and the little fella picks different ones (or sometimes the same ones) each night. I know you have mentioned before that your little one has a speech delay so I imagine sticking to shorter,more engaging stories and picture books will encourage conversation while reading the books. Maybe try the library to see what sorts of books she enjoys.

Thanks Loveinapril. I used to read short stories to her and I still do on occasion. Sometimes in bed and sometimes when we're on the sofa. The reason I go for a longer book is that there's less stopping and starting. With a short story you're finished in no time and then onto another story. That gap is enough for her to get up and start messing.
    I tend to favour a longer book as I think it's soothing and it certainly makes the bedtime routine a lot less messy as generally speaking once she's in bed and you're reading away to her, she's drifting off to sleep. I'd try to read a full chapter to her but will read less if it's long. Really just enough of it until the point that she's asleep.
    She did/does have a speech delay but WOW the pandemic has been incredibile for her, she's come on so so much. She's yapping away now in two languages and there's what seems like new sentences each day, it's really wonderful. Sometimes she's not as clear as she should be, but we can see the improvements and she's getting there. We have lots of picture books but I try to avoid those during the bedtime routine.

She adores being read to, which is something I appreciate as it makes getting her to bed so much easier than if she didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Totally agree with previous posters. Think they are not too interesting for a 3 year old. I love Julia Donaldson and Oliver Jeffers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

If she likes The Far Away Tree then try The Wishing Chair, there are 3 books in that series, similar type of stories.

Totally agree with previous posters. Think they are not too interesting for a 3 year old. I love Julia Donaldson and Oliver Jeffers

She made it through 3 Faraway books quite happily and several of the Sophie books. The only reason I've mentioned it now is that books I've started on is probably a bit too much so I was looking for something that's long, like a novel but a little simpler.

I have the likes of 'The Fox and His Socks', several M&S books such as The Princess & The Pea, The 3 Little Pigs, Goldilocks & the 3 Bears etc, then a lovely Ladybird book that has several short stories such as Snow White, The Wizard of Oz etc but stories such as this are all too short.

Julia Donaldson is a big hit here as well. My 2yr 8mth old knows them off by heart. God help me if I make a mistake. He’ll correct me straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

bee06 wrote: »
    Julia Donaldson is a big hit here as well. My 2yr 8mth old knows them off by heart. God help me if I make a mistake. He’ll correct me straight away.

My son sometimes likes to "read" his own book and instructs me to read a different one at the same time but pulls me up on it if I skip a few lines!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The thing about Julia Donaldson and others is that the ryhmes are so good for their speech development too.They are well written aswell, the language is good in them.Tabby Mc Tat and Stick Man are big favourites here.I apprecaite they might look short to you on the surface, but they are surprisingly a lot wordier than you would think.

Oliver Jeffers is a big favourite here too...all of mine have loved Stuck, The Incredible Book Eating Boy, Lost and Found, among others.The Enid Blyton books you mention, I have them all in a box in the attic from when I was a child - and the Narnia series, among others - mine just wouldn't have the interest yet to sit and listen to me reading those.

She is probably enjoying the sound of you reading a book to actually fall asleep, but maybe you could start with one or two picture ones like any of the Julia Donaldson, for her interest, and then maybe switch to something longer if it is in order for her to drop off.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, just she might find the other books more engaging for her age.

• Advertisement

I have to admit I enjoy the Julia Donaldson stories myself as well. I got Zog for my son and had to buy the sequel straight away to see how they got on as flying doctors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

My 4 year old is also a big fan of the faraway tree and wishing chair.
    Sticking with that vein I found the Amelia Jane books and she loves them. Each chapter is it's own small story so ideal for that age group.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Julia Donaldson and Axel Shefflers books as mentioned above.

The "Adam" series of books by Benji Bennett are absolutely lovely.

Julia Donaldson and Axel Shefflers books as mentioned above.

The "Adam" series of books by Benji Bennett are absolutely lovely.

We have Before You Sleep and it is lovely alright.

shesty wrote: »
    She is probably enjoying the sound of you reading a book to actually fall asleep, but maybe you could start with one or two picture ones like any of the Julia Donaldson, for her interest, and then maybe switch to something longer if it is in order for her to drop off.

There is nothing wrong with what you are doing, just she might find the other books more engaging for her age.

You are right I think, it's really hearing me read which she enjoys and which helps her get off to sleep. Anyway, I've ordered The Gruffalo and another Enid Blyton book that was recommended here. I'll look into the others too. There's no such thing as too many books.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The Gruffallo is a good one. And the thing about Julia's books, it's not just the rhyming that's appealing, it's the rythym's in the narritive too. I always read the Gruffallo in a kinda bluesy/jazz spoken/song thing to my kid.

The Ugly 5 is a fun one to sing too, but I used the melody from the verses of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You are right I think, it's really hearing me read which she enjoys and which helps her get off to sleep. Anyway, I've ordered The Gruffalo and another Enid Blyton book that was recommended here. I'll look into the others too. There's no such thing as too many books.

This is it. You could probably read her the newspaper, she just likes the quiet time hanging out with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

Get the Adam books, Irish author

https://www.adamscloud.com/

Money gets donated to charities and my kids love them all. My 7 year old now wants them read every night for her. The author also does live readings on facebook. Highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

My 4 year old loves the 'ladybird heard' series as well.

I also get her books that are slightly ahead of her but something she's interested in. We got her a few pop up books last Christmas, the usborne look inside series, she especially loves the 'how things work' book. For those it's not so much about the story, but learning about whatever the books are about. She loves lifting the flaps so that keeps her interest. It's more of a 'play' book, but you would be amazed how much goes in and sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

The Gruffalo / Gruffalo's child and Room on the Broom are BIG hits in our house.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

We go to the library once a week, get 12 different books, and that keeps us going. You should give it a go. The variety helped me figure out what kind of stories worked.

This one was a major hit, obviously:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pigeon-Poop-Elizabeth-Baguley/dp/1561487694

The Lighthouse Keeper series is good as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭sasal

Might be a bit young for her but Goodnight Everyone by Chris Haughton is a lovely book for winding down.
    The illustrations are lovely and there's big yawns for every animal going to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The classic Miffy books are great for bedtime.

scarepanda wrote: »
    My 4 year old loves the 'ladybird heard' series as well.

I also get her books that are slightly ahead of her but something she's interested in. We got her a few pop up books last Christmas, the usborne look inside series, she especially loves the 'how things work' book. For those it's not so much about the story, but learning about whatever the books are about. She loves lifting the flaps so that keeps her interest. It's more of a 'play' book, but you would be amazed how much goes in and sticks.

These Usborne ones are huge with my 4 year old. The Body and Space and Planet Earth ones we have, and "The Body" one in particular is excellent because they can really relate it to themselves. My only (minor) issue is that there are SO MANY flaps that as a bedtime story it can be a bit painful!! But for information - especially these days - they are incredibly well done.

lazygal wrote: »
    The classic Miffy books are great for bedtime.

I think my 6 year old is a bit creeped out by the pictures of Miffy, she isn't a fan. :D:D Littler pair love them too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Haha, shesty, I agree on the number of flaps alright. But being a 3/4 year old she loves trying to do everything on speed time, so on nights that going through the whole book is not ideal we'll either do it as fast as possible - where every flap has to be checked as quickly as possible -, or limit her to 2/4 pages, to return to the next night.

We have the body and space ones as well, but the how things works one is by far her favourite.

A hit with my daugther when she was 3-5 and then later the same books worked with my son from 4 to 6 are the "Daisy" books by Kes Gray.

There are some short one story books. But the "chapter" books pretty much all have titles starting with "The trouble with - " and then the book title. Like "The Trouble with Vampires".

Pretty good books - even as an adult having to read them to the kids I did not find them unpleasant and sometimes quite funny.

Oh to add to the above - books that were popular with my daugther but not so much my son.

- The "Princess Mirror-Belle" series. This is also Julia Donaldson I think actually.
    - The Romana series. (Romona and her father - Romona are Beejus - and so on).

And of course the MOG books by Julia Donaldson are forever classics. Can't go wrong with them. And after you read them look up the Mog sainsburies Christmas Advert on youtube. Brings Mog to live and Donaldson makes a cameo too.

526268.jpg

These arrived on Saturday. The Gruffalo has been read, will try The Wishing Chair after I order a few of the other books recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Redgirl82

I can "read" the Gruffalo without even looking at the pages :-)

I do find when it says "Knobbly knees" if you grab the kids on knees etc and tickle they love it, also they quickly pick up what their knee is etc

The other book my kids love is the name book. Not sure who makes them but more or less the boy/girl in story loses name, goes off in search and finds all the letters and at the end spells out their name. Works better if first name is longer than having to read all the pages for first/last name. :-)

Advertisement