Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Young driver's insurance (well sort of)

Options
  • 20-07-2020 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm planning and getting on the road at last.
    I'm a 28 year old male . I've a permit with a few years but only did a handful of lessons. I gave up because I just got yelled at by an instructor. I've more confidence now.
    However, I'm looking at insurance. I've got a good quote on 123.ie for young drivers.
    Now with this policy they fit a box on your car to monitor your driving.
    However since I am learning there is a chance I might stall the car, jerk, brake hard, etc.
    I'm told this device monitors all these things and your policy might get cancelled.
    Speeding is another matter. It says there is a three strike rule for speeding. I am okay with this but if you do 1km over the limit three times. Will your policy be cancelled.(I don't intend on speeding).
    I've read different reviews online and some say it's strictly inforced and others say it's not.
    Has anybody any dealings with them or advice?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Read your quote and it's t's & c's thoroughly.

Ask 123.ie the specific questions. Only they can answer them. Nobody here can.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭spoonerhead

Great that you’ve now got the confidence first of all, brilliant for you well done.

I can’t answer on specific to 123, however my insurance company Boxymo does the same thing. Now my first year I cut out constantly, jerked the car and outright did damage to the handbrake. However this was never mentioned to me from boxymo. In fact they’d send me a text each week saying I’m driving safely! Main things that the box in my car does is:
    1) Track KMs as your policy will have a limit (Don’t use up all your KMs or you’ll spend more than the policy on additional ones)
    2) Monitors breaking, so jamming breaks is a major no no
    3) Speed, if I drive over 160km/h the policy is instantly cancelled

I doubt the monitor in the 123 box is much different to Boxymo but that’s my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭december2019

Great that you’ve now got the confidence first of all, brilliant for you well done.

I can’t answer on specific to 123, however my insurance company Boxymo does the same thing. Now my first year I cut out constantly, jerked the car and outright did damage to the handbrake. However this was never mentioned to me from boxymo. In fact they’d send me a text each week saying I’m driving safely! Main things that the box in my car does is:
    1) Track KMs as your policy will have a limit (Don’t use up all your KMs or you’ll spend more than the policy on additional ones)
    2) Monitors breaking, so jamming breaks is a major no no
    3) Speed, if I drive over 160km/h the policy is instantly cancelled

I doubt the monitor in the 123 box is much different to Boxymo but that’s my experience.

Thanks for that and thanks to the other OP as well.

I just read different opinions online on it and was looking for Boards.ie users opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

My son has had the 123.ie policy for just over 12 months now, he has passed his test in the past month.
    The policy came down by just over 700 Euro year over year, third party, so we now are able to get a fairly reasonable (for an 18 year old) fully comprehensive quote on his own car.
    The reduction was 500 for having the full licence and 220 for "good driving", the scale goes from -10 to +10. He took it very seriously right from the beginning and completely obeyed speed limits at all times, as demonstrated by his score after 12 months. In fact I was nearly a potential problem as during the time he needed an accompanied driver I would go with him to work and drive home and have to consciously remind myself to drive at the speed limit as the box doesn't differentiate as to who is driving.
    Nobody drives at the speed limit, except probably young drivers with a black box, you only realise that when you drive at the speed limit.
    I have heard anecdotally of people who have had it cancelled, and it does happen, usually the report you head is that they were speeding one or two times, from what I can see they build in a certain tolerance for that, so I imagine you have to be consistently not adhering to the policy conditions over a period of time, or just taking the piss to get cancelled. Just follow the rules and you'll be fine, you also wont get any penalty points or and lessen your chances of getting in any other sort of bother while learning to drive.

Advertisement