Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to try and lose 60lbs in 28 days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Junadl

I would recommend juice fasting. Have at least 2-3 litres per day and the weight will melt off you while you're still getting nutrients

I've never heard of someone doing salt water fasting

Please consumer juicing for definite success

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Stormington

Good luck to you OP.
    It isn't easy, but as long as you take it one small bit at a time each day you can keep the weight off.

I went the Dr Weston Price route: I cut out sugars (pints, chocolate, reduced fruit intake), increased veg and greens intake and had one spoon of a cod liver oil/unsalted butter mix daily. The weight slid off over a few weeks. If interested, just follow the advice not to do more than one spoon of mixture a day.

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    10k steps daily

once I get to 240lbs, Ill hopefully be able to get back to the gym and lift weights

I meant working at a job. As your diet sounds exhausting, but you may be making the most of Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

A drastic diet would be more effective imo. Cut out all carbs, just eat high protein and moderate amounts of fat. You'll still be hungry a lot but you'll lose weight very quickly if you're disciplined. If you don't eat at all it will cause your metabolism to slow down, as well as the fat loss and you'll have no energy. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

I'm in the final stages of a long-term fitness/weight loss journey. I've let me hair grow and beard grow wild because I'm looking for that dramatic final affect . I'm looking for a very good barber or hairdresser in Dublin. Since I'm a guy in my 40s although I look in my 30s I'd probably be better off with a barber since my hair is thinning. Davy Davy , Sams and the butcher barber are some I've heard are good but would appreciate some recommendations
    I have been a big drinker for years . 1 or 2 bottles of wine 4 or 5 nights a week. I am severely obese at 21.5 stone. I also suffer from chronic gastric reflux and my appetite is very low . I still binge eat at night though. I know at 39 it will be sooner rather than later that my health will fail irretrievably unless I stop now. Who knows maybe its already too late. I also suffer from digestive issues. I'm constantly bloated and have IBS. I know I need to get help but that's difficult in the current climate. I am afraid of going to my GP also terrified I'm at a high risk if I get covid 19. Not sure what i'm looking for here . Just needed to tell someone

Looking at your post history OP, not only your weight, but your age tends to fluctuate over time. 8 months ago you were in your 40s, 4 weeks ago your were 39. My honest advice would be to knock the booze on the head, chat to your GP about that and your digestive issues, and go from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Atticus Jung

Check out ahealthyalternative.org if you're not aware of them. They have a facebook group with loads of people doing similar things to what you are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

brianblaze wrote: »
    Looking at your post history OP, not only your weight, but your age tends to fluctuate over time. 8 months ago you were in your 40s, 4 weeks ago your were 39. My honest advice would be to knock the booze on the head, chat to your GP about that and your digestive issues, and go from there.

I'm not trying to deceive anyone . But I want to retain some degree of autonomy .My age is irrelevant to alot of the queries I put up on boards. Regards the post about losing the weight already. It was a circumstantial question that I was and am interested in once the weight is gone

Cool, but with the issues you've mentioned, the last thing you need to do is to just suddenly stop eating. Consult your GP about all the issues you've mentioned before you start any kind of complete diet change. (Again, just my advice)

24000 steps done today . Expecting a big drop on the scale tomorrow

While I don't agree with the OP's approach, there is nothing wrong with an aggressive diet once it's relatively short term and there is a longer term plan to exit the aggressive diet and not just bounce back into a poor eating pattern.

You need to want to do it enough that you will stay the course in the short term and be prepared for the negative impacts on energy etc.

But they do work for some. Worth reading on it here:

https://sigmanutrition.com/the-pros-and-cons-of-aggressive-dieting/

Though in the example given, the aggressive diet is a deficit of 25%.

Like I said, I don't agree with the OP's approach but I hope it works for them. People are entitled to disagree about the approach but this is a log the OP started to track progress and possibly motivate themselves. Coming in to tell them they are going to fail is shítty.

That isnt the most aggressive plan, whilst still eating dailys Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fatloss plan is . It's basically a PSMF. Protein sparing modified fast. All you can eat is very lean protein like chicken breast turkey white fish and green vegetables. For fats 10g of fish oil a day.

https://www.academia.edu/38737095/The_Rapid_Fat_Loss_Handbook_A_Scientific_Approach_to_Crash_Dieting_How_to_lose_4-7_pounds_of_fat_and_10-20_pounds_of_weight_in_2_weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

That isnt the most aggressive plan, whilst still eating dailys Lyle McDonald's Rapid Fatloss plan is . It's basically a PSMF. Protein sparing modified fast. All you can eat is very lean protein like chicken breast turkey white fish and green vegetables. For fats 10g of fish oil a day.

https://www.academia.edu/38737095/The_Rapid_Fat_Loss_Handbook_A_Scientific_Approach_to_Crash_Dieting_How_to_lose_4-7_pounds_of_fat_and_10-20_pounds_of_weight_in_2_weeks

I know. Was just adding context to the link, the most aggressive diet in the study cited was 25% deficit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Definitely not healthy to be watching the scales either. A weekly weigh in is suffice. Does no harm to watch them of course if you feel the diet has went off the rails a bit. But other than that it can actually cause harm to become obsessed with the scales. Believe me; from someone who’s been there, a hard day of exercise will never outweigh a few previous days bad diet as much as you’d think. I busted myself yesterday morning with a HIIT workout and an 8km walk and I only lost about half a kg.

If the scales don’t move your waist or other parts of your body could be shedding inches.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Definitely not healthy to be watching the scales either. A weekly weigh in is suffice. Does no harm to watch them of course if you feel the diet has went off the rails a bit. But other than that it can actually cause harm to become obsessed with the scales. Believe me; from someone who’s been there, a hard day of exercise will never outweigh a few previous days bad diet as much as you’d think. I busted myself yesterday morning with a HIIT workout and an 8km walk and I only lost about half a kg.

If the scales don’t move your waist or other parts of your body could be shedding inches.

I think weighing yourself everyday can be fine sometimes.. if you are trying to gauge small changes in weight it's interesting to see the 'noise' superimposed on the trend as your weight fluctuates depending on when and what you've eaten and drank the day before. Which is also why it can be dangerous if you're not used to seeing this. But for big changes like the OP once a week is better alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Best of luck OP .

With regard drinking the salt water during the day would you not consider just drinking 1 glass of salt water every morning and then just drinking normal water throughout the day , would probably be more pleasant .

You mention 500g of veg when you get hungry , that amount of veg will knock you out of Keto .

A plan of having 1 smaller meal a day of Keto friendly veg and meat would be easier to stick to ,not everyday you will be hungry so just don't eat those days .

There are dry white wines that are Keto friendly ,and Keto pizza for the odd treat at a weekend .

You would find it easier in the long run if you eased your very restricted plan a little ..

Best of luck l hope you manage it ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Day 1 update was at 9am.

Day 2 tbc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

In fairness we might be in lockdown but people have other responsibilities, seems good though that OP has you waiting on the edge of your seat to see his progress. I think we need to be encouraging of anyones efforts to better their health.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 getoutahere

Well done on this OP,

I started to do something similar starting today with a similar goal, started at a similar weight 297lbs 6'4".

Will weigh in on a body composition scales every morning at the same time.

But I am starting training with some simple resistance bands just to get moving again.

I have two 2 litre jugs of water, with zero calorie electrolytes prepared.

Last few weeks during the lockdown I started to consume a lot more carbs and now feel extra bloated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

In fairness we might be in lockdown but people have other responsibilities, seems good though that OP has you waiting on the edge of your seat to see his progress. I think we need to be encouraging of anyones efforts to better their health.

Encouraging someone is great. However when that encouragement involves a fad diet, seemingly no medical advice, substantial (to say the least) changes to daily calorie intake, then someone has to be the grown up and point out the glaring issues here.

Which admittedly I didn't do, but neither am I cheer leading such a drastic approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

ArthurG wrote: »
    Encouraging someone is great. However when that encouragement involves a fad diet, seemingly no medical advice, substantial (to say the least) changes to daily calorie intake, then someone has to be the grown up and point out the glaring issues here.

Which admittedly I didn't do, but neither am I cheer leading such a drastic approach.

Yep I get ya but sure each to their own. As he said in the beginning he’s going to do it regardless of opinions and what people think of the process he’s following. I wouldn’t be an advocate of it myself but at the same time best we leave him update as he finds the time for it.

mmmmmmm? so the first weigh in was yesterday at 8.57am...............I kinda thought the weigh-ins would be at more or less the same time each day and posted as such ..............no update?

I'd seriously questions going on a diet of salty water. Don't even know how that could be good for you, especially if you have other medical conditions like digestive issues, IBS etc.

***edit, just saw poster never said they would be "daily" updates - apologies**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I like this plan.

Lose as much muscle mass as possible in 60 days so that when you balloon back up to 300pounds you will be there with less muscle and a higher bodyfat%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

Junadl wrote:
    I would recommend juice fasting. Have at least 2-3 litres per day and the weight will melt off you while you're still getting nutrients

What kind of juice

What kind of juice

*Eddie Hall has entered the chat*

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

It's a long long time since I followed a thread on the fitness forum.

Best of luck OP.

We're all gonna make it.

Sorry guys been struck down with illness. Haven't gone away . I'll update the thread in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

OP I wasn't far off where you're starting from, I was 293lb (well, I know I was 296lb at one point but when I started my diet I was 293lb). I got down to 181lb in one year through a good balanced diet and moderate exercise. Over about 9 months I went back up to about 212lb due to bad habits creeping back in and personal stresses, but now I'm eating well and doing moderate exercise again which has gotten me back down to 190lb and I aim to go even lower than before.

What you're proposing is extreme to say the least, and it's going to be incredibly tough, but just be sensible about it. Check in with your doctor when you need. There's nothing good in the diet being more harmful to your health than being overweight. But just know that extreme measures aren't the only way to achieve weightloss. Even if you drop the 60lb in 28 days, what comes after that?

Whether it starts at the end of your 28 day fast or not, you still need to look at reconfiguring your current eating habits long-term. I commend you for pushing yourself as far as possible, and I hope it works out for you, but less extreme measures can also work.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Penn wrote: »

Whether it starts at the end of your 28 day fast or not, you still need to look at reconfiguring your current eating habits long-term. I commend you for pushing yourself as far as possible, and I hope it works out for you, but less extreme measures can also work.

Good luck!

I think thats the crux of it, people can go on these extreme diets and lose a shed load of weight but when its over the brain can trick you into taking a few days reward by eating all the bad hings you missed in excess and then you're on a slippery slope and the cycle begins all over again.

I can see why people do them though when very overweight. It feels like a good headstart on the larger task at hand. If someone has to lose 50 or 60kgs the usual way of losing 0.5 to 1kg per week knocks their motivation after a few weeks as it seems a long and impossible task.

Also just to note, exercise/diet doesn't always cause that quick a drop in weight. Everyone's weight can fluctuate over the course of a few days. I used to weigh myself every morning just to see how I was tracking, but I only counted my Sunday weigh-in as whether or not I'd lost weight. Some other mornings I'd have thought I should have lost weight I didn't, some where I'd gone over my calorie limit due to an event or whatever might not have showed up on the scales until a few days after.

There are many factors that determine what will show up on the scales, including your toilet habits.

You need to take a holistic view of what you're doing and the effect it has, not just the daily number on the scale. Don't get dejected if it doesn't go the way you expect. Stick with whatever you're doing and the scale will correct themselves after a few days regardless.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think thats the crux of it, people can go on these extreme diets and lose a shed load of weight but when its over the brain can trick you into taking a few days reward by eating all the bad hings you missed in excess and then you're on a slippery slope and the cycle begins all over again.

I can see why people do them though when very overweight. It feels like a good headstart on the larger task at hand. If someone has to lose 50 or 60kgs the usual way of losing 0.5 to 1kg per week knocks their motivation after a few weeks as it seems a long and impossible task.

Totally. A good few people asked me about cheat days when I was dieting, how often did I have cheat days, did I reward myself at certain milestones etc. Truth is, I didn't have cheat days. I stuck to the diet every day I could, and when events popped up (large family meals, birthdays, parties in general, nights out etc), I allowed myself to be more lax with the calorie limit for the day while still trying to make reasonably good choices. So those were my cheat days in a way, because those events do crop up and it can be hard to stick to calorie limits.

But it's about making the right choices before those events, during those events, and getting back on the diet after those events.

One thing that helped me with the length of the diet was breaking it down to smaller chunks of time. My overall goal was to lose 108lb in a year (hence my signature), but I broke it down smaller than that along the way. Sister's birthday in 8 weeks? 2lb per week means my goal is 16lb by my sister's birthday. Cousin's wedding in 12 weeks? 24lb to be lost by then. Just 4lb to then be lost by the next event etc.

It's tough, no doubt. But my food habits and what I like to eat definitely changed during it, and for the better. Put on some weight after due to personal issues, but the diet is easy to slip back into exactly because it's not extreme.

OP, if you do want good diet tips, the Nutrition & Diet forum was a huge help to me. Some great posters with a lot of experience, as well as sharing their own hardships along the way. There was a guy who was doing Slimming World who lost even more than I did. He was even interviewed on the TV3 breakfast show (Ireland AM).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Sorry for the negative post but there's no way the OP is going to come close to this.

Not only because what he describes is madness, but also because from his posts he seems to have a bad attitude. People have been putting forward some good advice but he has been shutting everything down. He knows what's best, he has "a world of knowledge" of these things and, to be honest, i'm not sure what the point of the thread is. It could have been a blog post somewhere with the comments switched off.

Losing 60lbs in 28 days is silly. Why are you losing it? Because you want to be fitter, healthier and lighter?

If so, your goal should be to lose those 60lbs over a sustained period of time. And within that time, develop habits that will allow you to sustain your weight, your diet and your lifestyle. Everything is "Short term! short term! Short term!"

Even if you DO lose the 60lbs, it doesn't matter. You haven't developed proper habits and you will likely put it all back on.

I hope you change your habits and get healthier OP. Although this is not the way to do it!

Advertisement