Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How long to reach my initial goal?

• 15-04-2020 7:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

Im quite overweight. At only 6ft tall Im 21.5 stone . My longterm goal is a lean and muscular 13.5 stone. Obviously having no access to a Gym is a major bummer right now and getting my hands on some home equipment is proving difficult so Ive decided not to worry about weights for now and just cut some of this initial weight with just walking and watching my food intake.Im hoping to hit 10k steps daily

My initial goal is 16.5 stone. 5 stone is alot of weight to lose but 21.5 stone is very heavy so I should do it in a few months. Even 16.5 stone is heavy for my height. When I reach 16.5 I really hope the gyms are back open because ill need to start lifting weights to prevent muscle loss. Its not as big an issue at my current weight

So how long do you guys think it will take me to reach this initial goal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

In January I decided id had enough of being over weight. I was close to 100kg and in order to get to a healthy BMI I need to be under 85kg at a bare minimum.
    Started using My Fitness Pal to log my food intake and started walking at least 10,000 steps a day.
    To date ive lost roughly 14kg which works out at about 1kg a week.
    The big thing that was killing me was snacking and takeaways. My main meals were already healthy but chocolate, fizzy drinks and fast food treats put the weight on me.
    In order to make the diet sustainable though I do have a treat day once a week. So I still have my takeaway once a week, but now it's backed up with a healthy breakfast and lunch.
    My current weight is 83kg. Hoping to get to 80kg by May.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Starlord_01

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Im quite overweight. At only 6ft tall Im 21.5 stone . My longterm goal is a lean and muscular 13.5 stone. Obviously having no access to a Gym is a major bummer right now and getting my hands on some home equipment is proving difficult so Ive decided not to worry about weights for now and just cut some of this initial weight with just walking and watching my food intake.Im hoping to hit 10k steps daily

My initial goal is 16.5 stone. 5 stone is alot of weight to lose but 21.5 stone is very heavy so I should do it in a few months. Even 16.5 stone is heavy for my height. When I reach 16.5 I really hope the gyms are back open because ill need to start lifting weights to prevent muscle loss. Its not as big an issue at my current weight

So how long do you guys think it will take me to reach this initial goal ?

Weight loss is different for everyone but a slow & steady approach is probably the best route. Begin tracking your food, MyFitnessPal is a good app to use, and slowly move yourself into a calorie deficit, somewhere between 300/500 calories a day and you should begin to see some changes.

Keep your protein intake relatively high and slowly ease yourself into exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I was 20st in 2016 am now high 13st. Things I did

MFP:as mentioned by above poster
    Walk & eventually run: I did do most of this on a gym threadmill but not necessary really
    Cut down on pints/cans
    Didnt starve myself but ate sensibly, cut down portion size. Cut down take aways- maybe once every two week treat

Best of luck OP, good luck in finding what works for you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

5 stone is 70 lbs. 2 lbs/week is 35 weeks/~9 months. That's doable.

But how long it will actually take is dependent on managing your caloric intake properly and changing eating habits in a sustainable way.

Advertisement