Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

My house has changed and been brought forward again. We went from Dec 20-Feb 21 to Dec 21-May 22 and then to Nov 21-Feb 22 and now to March 21-June 21. I’ve also just gotten Eir 4G broadband for the year as I thought we’d be waiting ages. I don’t trust the dates at all as they’ve changed four times since November. I’ll be happy if we do get fibre in the new time frame but I’ve been in contact with NBI so many times in the past few weeks trying to get a straight answer out of them as to what deployment area we were in or had been moved to and why the dates keep changing I was just told that the map was the best indicator of a timeframe and now I’m stuck in a contract with Eir for a year!

are you within the cancellation period? I'd definitely cancel if that's the case

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

listermint wrote: »
    Id take that off your hands in a heart beat. I'd even suffer buying out the eir contract if I had those sort of time scales available. But all things considered our location appears to be in the very last set of installations which judging on progress etc will most likely be into the 2024 time scales.

So I do smile when I see folks agonising over a few months.

Don't get me wrong I'm very glad at being brought forward again and was just going to have to deal with it when we were pushed back until 2022, I knew there were others who will be waiting many more years. I'm just annoyed that I've been onto NBI so many times since November trying to get to the bottom of why us along with several other houses were pushed back when the network was in build about one mile down the road in both directions.

I asked them had there been a mistake with the map and to clarify what deployment area we were apart of and was told that the map was the best indicator of when we'd be connected. They also kept saying they'd get back to me after checking my townland but never did so I went ahead with the 4G broadband with Eir for the year and am stuck having to pay for that for rubbish speeds although a bit better than the landline speeds. So I'm really just annoyed that didn't seem to have any clue as to what was going on and how they messed up the dates so much! I will just have to suck it up and try and break the Eir contract if it's not too much or otherwise just pay both for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Gav_96 wrote: »
    are you within the cancellation period? I'd definitely cancel if that's the case

Unfortunately not, the cancellation period ended on the 24th of Feb, just got caught out! If it's not too much I'll try to break the contract but otherwise I'll just have to pay both for the year. No point in doing anything a while thought until we're actually connected with fibre, sure who knows the dates could be pushed back again in a few weeks time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

This year should be the end of poor broadband in Ireland. Even if people can’t get fibre from NBI or they have poor 3G 4G or a 5G signal or there’s a tree blocking a signal from these WISPs Starlink should have 300mbps available in Ireland by the end of the year I think. Yes it’s €99 a month and €499 for the equipment but it should be widely available. Anyone facing 2 years or more to be connected by NBI should place their order with Starlink now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

This year should be the end of poor broadband in Ireland. Even if people can’t get fibre from NBI or they have poor 3G 4G or a 5G signal or there’s a tree blocking a signal from these WISPs Starlink should have 300mbps available in Ireland by the end of the year I think. Yes it’s €99 a month and €499 for the equipment but it should be widely available. Anyone facing 2 years or more to be connected by NBI should place their order with Starlink now.

I'd only pay that if I was working from home all the time. Crazy money unless you can justify it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

Yes it is expensive but a lot of people are desperate with poor broadband. People can’t wait 4 to 5 years for NBI to connect them. I seen the news one night with people working from their cars in a church car park using its WiFi. I’d pay €99 a month to avoid that.If I’m not connected this year by NBI I’ll be signing up to Starlink. I see virgin media offering 1GB speed for €85 a month after 12 months and imagine are €60 for their crap so Starlink price is not too bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

What is the story if your townland is appearing under both survey underway and network build in progress
    When I look up my eircode deployment is listed as July22-December 22 for all premises in my townland , (the date on the survey underway townlands listing) yet fibre has been on poles since December and under network build list we are for deployment May to Jul21.

Utterly confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Dates for Tipperary brought forward also. Formerly Sept-Nov, now Aug-Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Does anyone know the average time for when DPs are put on poles to connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

They have put one up outside my house about 3 or 4 weeks ago but it's saying nothing yet. I'll let people know when I can order. (Well my neighbour as my house is under construction and I use his eircode for notifications)

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭andy.dunleavy

installed DP's on poles outside my house 28th Jan 2021, currently showing "build in progress" as per the nbi website eircode checker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

I just checked the nbi site there and the nearest Broadband Connection Point to me is now connected. Can anyone tell me how long it could possibly be before anyone living in the surrounding areas of a BCP actually get connected?
    Apologies if this has been answered in the thread already but there are 170 pages in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭baz9375

lukin wrote: »
    I just checked the nbi site there and the nearest Broadband Connection Point to me is now connected. Can anyone tell me how long it could possibly be before anyone living in the surrounding areas of a BCP actually get connected?
    Apologies if this has been answered in the thread already but there are 170 pages in it.

The BCPs aren't actually using fibre connections, they're using a a wireless 150mbps connection provided by Vodafone.

"BCPs will be provided with a temporary wireless high-speed broadband connection of up to 150mbps which they will keep for three years, or until they are provided with a permanent high-speed broadband connection under the NBP".

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/31d6d-major-milestone-in-the-national-broadband-plan-as-ministers-humphreys-and-ryan-launch-broadband-connection-points/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

lukin wrote: »

The BCPs have nothing to do with the rollout to houses.

The best way to find out your status is to visit https://www.nbi.ie and enter your Eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

Unfortunately not, the cancellation period ended on the 24th of Feb, just got caught out! If it's not too much I'll try to break the contract but otherwise I'll just have to pay both for the year. No point in doing anything a while thought until we're actually connected with fibre, sure who knows the dates could be pushed back again in a few weeks time :rolleyes:

When you are finally connected, Eir would most likely allow you to break your contract if you recontract for 12 months with them. Their Gigabit Fibre 500Mb plan is €29.99 p/m, so you would effectively be paying the same as your are now. Most Telcos generally allow this.

And if you go for another provider, if you prefer not to pay an upfront break cost, no reason you can't let it run on until your out of contract, thereby spreading the pain over the remaining contract term.

Its not ideal, but I'm in a similar situation (about 8 months left) and more than happy to pay this break cost if it means I get a FTTH service. As others have pointed out, they would happily trade places to have this 'problem'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Pardon my ignorance but what does DP stand for? They were working on the ducts outside my house w weeks ago and the site has me pencilled in for July the Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance but what does DP stand for? They were working on the ducts outside my house w weeks ago and the site has me pencilled in for July the Sept.

ETU - External Termination Unit
    ONT - Optical Network Terminal
    OLT - Optical Line Terminal
    ODP - Optical Distribution Point
    BCP - Broadband Connection Points
    PoH - Point of Handover
    PoP - Point of Presence
    DP - Distribution Point

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

The point on the NBI network from where service will be delivered. It can be a telephone pole or an underground box or chamber.

https://nbi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/NBI-End-User-Premises-Infrastructure-Document.pdf

Anyone post a pic again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

545044.jpg
    545047.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

wassie wrote: »
    Their Gigabit Fibre 500Mb plan is €29.99 p/m, so you would effectively be paying the same as your are now. Most Telcos generally allow this.

Do we actually have evidence of this because my area is live on NBI but still not available to order from VF or Eir who have both told me NBI is still in testing phase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

ETU - External Termination Unit
    ONT - Optical Network Terminal
    OLT - Optical Line Terminal
    ODP - Optical Distribution Point
    BCP - Broadband Connection Points
    PoH - Point of Handover
    PoP - Point of Presence
    DP - Distribution Point

Thanks WW.

Afaik, all a customer cares about is the DP (box on pole with fibre to house) and the ONT (box in house where fibre ends that router connects to).

The OLT is the other end of the fibre in the exchange right? (or have I got ONT/OLT mixed up?)
    PoH is the connection between regional/national networks?
    PoP?
    BCP is the hotspots at community centres.
    ETU?
    ODP?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Jaysus, great country to do business....

A wrapped line hanging in the air or what looks like a POTS line into the house....

In these days of minituarised everything there are two f...n great boxes on the oul pole....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

BarryM wrote: »
    Jaysus, great country to do business....

A wrapped line hanging in the air or what looks like a POTS line into the house....

In these days of minituarised everything there are two f...n great boxes on the oul pole....

?????

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭oleard1987

Just passed through Glounthaune there up the hill by the Church and their is 5 Kn Cirnet vans at the bottom of the hill and there is 3 openEIR vans on the hill so looks like full steam ahead there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

oleard1987 wrote: »
    Just passed through Glounthaune there up the hill by the Church and their is 5 Kn Cirnet vans at the bottom of the hill and there is 3 openEIR vans on the hill so looks like full steam ahead there

Not NBI, its the Eir IFN rollout for Glounthaune they are working on

Thread for that is here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057946234&page=35

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭wassie

danny004 wrote: »
    Do we actually have evidence of this because my area is live on NBI but still not available to order from VF or Eir who have both told me NBI is still in testing phase.

Evidence of what? - Not sure what you asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭danny004

wassie wrote: »
    Evidence of what? - Not sure what you asking.

I suppose if you included the quote i had in my original post it would make more sense. The original post was that EIR Fiber 500 was 29.99 pm and my question was do we actually have evidence from anyone that this is indeed Eir offering for NBI 500MB because NBI is live in my area and I can neither order from Eir nor VF (both say NBI is still in testing phase) but can from Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

If Eir are a service provider on the NBI fibre, how does this work with their own existing Network? I thought they are separate altogether.

Also Mayo Fibre says 1GB/s download and upload, surely that is not right?

https://nbi.ie/where-can-i-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭clohamon

Adriatic wrote: »
    If Eir are a service provider on the NBI fibre, how does this work with their own existing Network? I thought they are separate altogether.

Also Mayo Fibre says 1GB/s download and upload, surely that is not right?

https://nbi.ie/where-can-i-buy/

There's another page on the Mayo Fibre site with more believable info.
    https://atlantek.net/broadband-services/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

trant wrote: »
    How are NBI evaluating your connection speed, FTTC prequal?

I don’t know tbh. Vodafone tell me my maximum stable speed as they put it is 28mb. They even gave me a screenshot from whatever system they use. I sent this on to the DCCAE email address and NBI. I emailed them around 6 times over the space of 9 months, NBI just kept telling me it’s not their place to add me and when the DCCAE finally replied they replied and said:

“The VDSL profile for this premises is Maximum_High_Speed 30Mbps and Maximum_High_stability 28Mbps. Under the rules for determining if a premises is HSBB or not the department goes off the Maximum_High_Speed figure”

Really I just wanted to be added to the rollout. If it took 5 years so be it, rather that then to be stuck in limbo.

Also like some other people I’ve read here on the thread other houses in my estate have been added. I’m literally facing one of them, it’s ridiculous.

Advertisement