Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Nintendo: Switch Online

• 06-09-2019 6:52am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭

So, how are people getting on with the new service?
    This is only the first twenty titles, but where should it go next?
    Would you like to see classics continue to be released or, perhaps, some games that never got a release outside Japan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, how are people getting on with the new service?
    This is only the first twenty titles, but where should it go next?
    Would you like to see classics continue to be released or, perhaps, some games that never got a release outside Japan?

No sign of the SNES games on my switch this morning yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Someone posted in the ninty direct thread that you can download from the news link, not straight from the store.

Edit: it's live under recent releases in the store. Doesn't look like it'll auto download.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Once Sunset Riders arrives I'll be happy, what are the chances?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had to go into the Switch Online tab in the Eshop, in both the local and Japanese stores.
    Now both Super Nintendo and Super Famicom games are living on my Switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Ok I got a question can I buy or get a three month sub access these games and download them let the sub run out and keep these games.

Tldr once downloaded are these games mine to keep even if my online sub runs out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nope. Sub is required I think. It's one of the perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Played the first few levels of Yoshi's Island this morning. Played great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

No. the app checks with nintendo switch online (i think once a week) whether you have a subscription and the games can still be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Ok I got a question can I buy or get a three month sub access these games and download them let the sub run out and keep these games.

Tldr once downloaded are these games mine to keep even if my online sub runs out

Active online subscription is required. If it runs out, you'll lose access to NES and SNES games.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I had to go into the Switch Online tab in the Eshop, in both the local and Japanese stores.
    Now both Super Nintendo and Super Famicom games are living on my Switch!

Any extra games from Japan?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,745 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It's telling me i can download it with a trial of online. I got the 12 months with Twitch Prime so it's not a trial.

Pretty ****ty, nes used to work so this must be a change.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,133 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Super Aleste and Legend of the Mystical Ninja please...

oh and Batman Returns and Maximum Carnage for the hell of it even though they are probably crap now....

It's telling me i can download it with a trial of online. I got the 12 months with Twitch Prime so it's not a trial.

Pretty ****ty, nes used to work so this must be a change.

This happened to me when I first went on to it. Went back after a few mins and was able to download.

Played some Mario World. Plays really well, and the Rewind option is great. I am whistling Super Mario tunes now.

Sweet, i was rushing between getting the kids out the door to school. Will try again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭eggy81

Sweet, i was rushing between getting the kids out the door to school. Will try again later.

Similar to yourself. Wouldn't allow me select the download button until about 5 minutes after I first opened the page in store. Playing away now. Super tennis still holds up against modern tennis efforts.

Working now. Am i right in thinking you can't download them so need to be online or does the app hold all the games? Can i play on an airplane ?

it is downloaded. Checks the license every week so needs to be online for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

As far as i've seen online ,they wont be monthly additions anymore ,just games added 2-3 times a year from now on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

geotrig wrote: »
    As far as i've seen online ,they wont be monthly additions anymore ,just games added 2-3 times a year from now on..

Where did you see that? Would be a strange change to make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

Thanks for that! Kind of a shame, I liked the monthly reveal of new games. Hope this doesn't mean less games overall.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I was thinking of not continuing my Switch Online service as I had no interest in nes games, but this has totally changed my mind and will be paying for another year.

Some games I'd love to see on the service over the next year would be:

- The Super Star Wars Trilogy
    - Donkey Kong Country
    - Chrono Trigger
    - Secret Of Mana
    - Super Castlevania
    - Mortal Kombat 2
    - Zombies Ate My Neighbours
    - Shadowrun
    - Earthworm Jim
    - Contra 3

Very unlikely that Street Fighter 2, Final Fantasy's or Mega Man games will ever come to the online service as those games can be bought seperately.

My guess is we won't see N64 games till at least September 2020.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I would suggest we try not to read too much into it, and wait and see how it develops over the next twelve months.
    Perhaps the Famicom/Nes side of things is going to cool off, while the Super Famicom/Snes library will receive updates.
    And, looking at the rest of the Twitter thread there, it seems that 3rd parties may restrict access to their precious IPs, preferring to sell them in other ways to the customers.
    I can kinda see that, except that Nintendo have a vast, worth owning library on the Snes and I don't see supply being quite the issue that GSK does.
    The list, as it stands, is dominated by Nintendo but with Jaleco, Data East and Capcom as well.
    Lets see if Konami and Square/Enix jump in as too.

Gonzo wrote: »
    - Donkey Kong Country
    - Chrono Trigger
    - Secret Of Mana
    - Super Castlevania
    - Mortal Kombat 2
    - Shadowrun
    - Earthworm Jim
    - Contra 3

Some are already available via the likesw of the Konami collections, but the DCK games should be a certainty, as should the Super Star Wars games, man but the rewind and save state feature is going to be god-send there!
    Nice to the similar Indiana Jones Trilogy game as well!

Also cool would be the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy as well as Buster Busts Loose the Mickey Mouse titles.

I don't think there will be much change to be honest adn supply will be ok tbh there is avast collection of games on snes and I'd rather a dumping a few games every few months than drip fed 1-2 a month.
    I suppose it could make it easier with a good chunk of older ips being owned by 3rd parties now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

I’d love to see the Super Star Wars games or NBA Jam added at some point

I was thinking of not continuing my Switch Online service as I had no interest in nes games, but this has totally changed my mind and will be paying for another year.

Some games I'd love to see on the service over the next year would be:

- Donkey Kong Country
    - Chrono Trigger
    - Secret Of Mana
    - Super Castlevania
    - Mortal Kombat 2
    - Shadowrun
    - Earthworm Jim
    - Contra 3

Very unlikely that Street Fighter 2, Final Fantasy's or Mega Man games will ever come to the online service as those games can be bought seperately.

My guess is we won't see N64 games till at least September 2020.

collection of Mana has secret so not sure that will be added anytime soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

AMGer wrote: »
    I’d love to see the Super Star Wars games or NBA Jam added at some point

Super Star Wars was the first video game to completely blow my mind back in the day as a teenager and I fell in love with my snes. Would love to see those again as soon as possible. Alien 3 was also a great action title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Cdkeys are selling annual subscription codes for €16.50 at the moment. Small saving but a saving none the less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Super Star Wars was the first video game to completely blow my mind back in the day as a teenager and I fell in love with my snes.

I still have the original box for the first one complete with Virgin Megastore price tag - 53 old punts, the SNES games weren’t cheap!

Advertisement