Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a man living in his van

• 07-05-2019 3:59pm
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Our next guest is a full-time professional who lives in a van in an Irish city.

He has chosen to live in a van to avoid paying high rents, avoid living with strangers in a house share situation and to save for a deposit for a more permanent home in the future.
    He converted the commercial van to a home himself, learning how to do things by watching videos online.

He is here to answer your questions about his experience of living in a van.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks for doing this one.

How big is it, and what alternatives did you look at before opting for the van?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,628 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Do your colleagues/friends/family know you live this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

How is it bringing members of the opposite sex back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Fair play to you I admire your spirit. I’m very pissed off myself with the rental situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Have you paid the residential property tax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

What do you do for toilet, shower and waste/refuse facilities?

What's your typical monthly outgoings?

Where do you leave the van parked during the day or at night? Do you move around often?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I guess you move around a lot to try not draw attention to yourself.

What set up have you for cooking, shower, toilet, TV etc....

Does your insurance company know of the conversion?

Have you had issues with people noticing?

Have you been moved on by the five O....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,850 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Do people sing the below to you

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Do you feel safe at night parked up somewhere in the city?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Do you go to the toilet in a bucket? Do you slop out in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 93 Verified rep I'm living in my van, AMA

blue5000 wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this one.

How big is it, and what alternatives did you look at before opting for the van?

No problem at all. I'm curious as to what people will ask!

Its a long wheel base, and a high enough roof to stand up normally.

You can move around without bumping into stuff.

Rented for years in Ireland, rural and city.

Since the housing shortage, obviously prices have gone very high, left me in a position to only be able to share with random people , which I feel I'm too old for.

Not too old to live in a van tho :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Is it not really cold at night?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

How long have you been living like this? How long do you expect to continue in this way?

What do you work at?
    How do you find keeping clothes washed, dried and suitable for wearing to work?
    What type of insurance do you have on the van?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Could you post any pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭Wheety

Where do you receive post? What did you tell your insurance your address was?

Any motor insurance implications?

Do your colleagues/friends/family know you live this way?

Friends and family - yes, some think its great, some think I'm mad, some think both.

Professionally, no, I have a bit of a cover story.

It's just too awkward to explain without being judged for it. As it does not affect my work in any way, I feel it is my business.
    Although saying that, I think my boss would actually understand no problem, I've dropped subtle hits now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do you shower at work?

rapul wrote: »
    How is it bringing members of the opposite sex back?

Actually a big issue, or maybe not? I don't know yet to be honest.

I was coming out a of a relationship when I was starting this thing, so have not been one the 'scene' for a while, fed up of it totally.

But I'm not a Monk

so yes, I wanna get a few dates now, but like I say, some people understand where Im coming from.

I think the kind of girl that I'd get on with would have no problem understanding my motivations for this, I do have a goal here and its not for ever.

As to practicalities, once I have a separate toilet with decent porta loo and running water, its not far off a a bedsit or a flat. Civilized innit?

Bringing a lady back to a bare metal box would be a bit crazy, Im sure thats what people think straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 13,096 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Do you feel left out of the conversation when people at work complain about paying 1400 a month and you think that ****er went straight to your deposit account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,850 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Did you ever head out on the piss and just park it within walking distance of the pub beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭handlemaster

it must be a right turn off for the ladies ? Hows your love life proceeding with this life choice ?

• What would your budget for a month be?

Did you ever forget where you parked?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 only new

Do you keep any pets in the van?

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Fair play to you I admire your spirit. I’m very pissed off myself with the rental situation.

Thank you. Its that feeling that pushed me in this direction.

I'd like to stress, this whole thing is a means to and end for me - do it a couple of years, save like mad, get enough together as a deposit / basis for a loan.

What I am trying to buy is a wrecked old cottage in the boonies somewhere, which is actually affordable.

My dream is cheap, so in short, I dont intend to live in the van for ever, I have a very clear goal set and reason for this.

Squatter wrote: »
    Have you paid the residential property tax?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

How do you get post ? How do you cook ? Do you move it around or stay in one spot ? How do you wash clothes and yourself ?

What do you do for toilet, shower and waste/refuse facilities?

What's your typical monthly outgoings?

Where do you leave the van parked during the day or at night? Do you move around often?

Toilet - Porta Potti, try not to use unless really need to. Stored away when not in use.

I'm building an actual toilet shower room , a wet room , room in the next few weeks, looking forward to having that, more civilized like.

Toilet / Shower - Work Thankfully. Although I am adding a shower to the van asap.

Waste- I have access to a wheelie bin which I chip in for, I visit that once a week pretty much.

Waste Grey Water - captured in a Metal Jerry Can, 20 liters I think I have a also have access to a drain to empty this into. I'd have to empty that every 6 days I think. Just kitchen water basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

How long do you plan on living the way you are now? What do you miss the most in the van from a house? Whats the craic with Electricity?

Fair balls to you for doing it btw!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement