Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interdepartmental HEO Competition 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Nerd Queen

BobCat123 wrote: »
    Can AOs apply for this?

Unfortunately not! Despite the fact that there is a monetary difference because both grades end up at the same point there is no way for an AO to apply. I know revenue allowed it for their internal heo comp though!

Its never counted- and there was union uproar when it was suggested to make similar grades analogous for precisely that purpose.

hmmm

internal comp

can they just disregard or handwave away such requirements for those?

anyway its clear that its not going to work going forward and not worth derailing

• Registered Users Posts: 14 botharbui

Just wondering for completing the application form can I use management examples from the private sector? as an EO currently, I have no staff

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

I would - why not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

botharbui wrote: »
    Just wondering for completing the application form can I use management examples from the private sector? as an EO currently, I have no staff

of course, bring in every bit of experience you have.
    I have no staff under me either and was told to put down my experience from private sector. even drag in things from outside work like running youth clubs or things like that that you may done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

botharbui wrote: »

I had no staff for the last 8 of my 12 years as an EO. Not having recent staff management experience didn't hold me back. As a HEO now I only manage one person compared with 10 as a newbie EO!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 botharbui

thanks for the feedback, wasn't too sure,this is my first time applying for HEO only here just the 2 yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Definitely going to give this a go. Last time I wasn't eligible.
    At the very least its experience for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

What level of management do you think is required for this competition? As it is the only promotion grade left, it would stand to reason that EO level management should be sufficient but I am very worried that I will get cut at shortlisting

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What level of management do you think is required for this competition? As it is the only promotion grade left, it would stand to reason that EO level management should be sufficient but I am very worried that I will get cut at shortlisting

It depends entirely on the Department- but its far from unusual for EOs not to have any staff reporting to them. In cases like that- it would be difficult to show a degree of competence in this area- and it might be better to try and bring outside experience into the equation (if you have it). The fact of the matter is- EOs today- akin to AOs- more often than not, quite simply no longer have staff reporting to them......... Some Departments- notably those with very large CO contingents- might be different- but they are the exception rather than the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Kittykat6

Yep I submitted my application for this.do you think it will be HEO for AGS??😂 judging by last EO competition the majority were assigned to AGS including myself. Replace g inspectors grade?

It depends entirely on the Department- but its far from unusual for EOs not to have any staff reporting to them. In cases like that- it would be difficult to show a degree of competence in this area- and it might be better to try and bring outside experience into the equation (if you have it). The fact of the matter is- EOs today- akin to AOs- more often than not, quite simply no longer have staff reporting to them......... Some Departments- notably those with very large CO contingents- might be different- but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Thanks. I hsve some private sectar management experience but only have staff as an EO in the last six weeks.

Racking my brain for the policy section as well. I'm sure there are EOs involved in policy development but that's definitely not the kind of job I'm in

Kittykat6 wrote: »
    Yep I submitted my application for this.do you think it will be HEO for AGS??😂 judging by last EO competition the majority were assigned to AGS including myself. Replace g inspectors grade?

Id say not, there really isn't that many HEOs in AGS. I'm in a regional hq and there is 2 here (1 of which is an analyst) and 1 more on the way and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eimaj18

Thanks. I hsve some private sectar management experience but only have staff as an EO in the last six weeks.

Racking my brain for the policy section as well. I'm sure there are EOs involved in policy development but that's definitely not the kind of job I'm in

By the time the first batch of interviews are out, you will have 3 more months of managing staff, so that should count well. I'm awaiting appointment as an EO, I have no idea if I'll be managing staff but will put it down on the form when I know. So, as of the 21st of March when the form is in, I'll have no (formal) experience of managing staff but hope to by the time the interviews come around , if I get that far. Even if I do, I may not be in the first batch so that time will all count. Coaching, mentoring, managing up - any of those would help you out. And of course any outside experience you'd have too.

Yeah I don't have any really. I'm just kinda talking up my involvement in policies that my unit was involved in. It says it's optional too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 derryleigh1

Cork City has 3 HEO general, and 5 HEO analysts. More vacancies to follow to replace some Inspectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Lads it’s all about competencies these days, learn the buzzwords !

Cork City has 3 HEO general, and 5 HEO analysts. More vacancies to follow to replace some Inspectors.

Really?? There hasn't been any talk of HEOs replacing roles previously held by inspectors in galway as far as I'm aware. Would really up the vacancies if they did

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Yes - for this one anyways

Really that's interesting it was just a guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

How could an Inspector be replaced? His role is office based.
    Why replace an Inspector and not a sergeant for eg?

Civilians can do some of the clerical work but they cannot replace an Inspector.

GISC has 16/17 HEOs and more to come I would say.

• Advertisement

Amanda.ie wrote: »
    How could an Inspector be replaced? His role is office based.
    Why replace an Inspector and not a sergeant for eg?

Civilians can do some of the clerical work but they cannot replace an Inspector.

GISC has 16/17 HEOs and more to come I would say.

It's just the administration work associated with the ranks,so co does garda, EO does sergeant, HEO does inspector.??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

It's just the administration work associated with the ranks,so co does garda, EO does sergeant, HEO does inspector.??

Im not sure it's that simple !!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 derryleigh1

Cork City is part of a pilot system called Divisional Policing Model, lots of newly promoted Inspectors assigned to new posts in governance, complaints & discipline etc. Plans to replace these Inspectors with HEOs.

As far as I know, Pearse St, Galway and Mayo are the other divisions involved in the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭ilovethistles

Does anyone know if there will be an internal HEO comp for AGS?

Does anyone know if there will be an internal HEO comp for AGS?

Wouldn't civil servants in AGS be eligible for any internal competitions in Justice? I doubt AGS holds internal civil service promotional panels- it would be the home Department that would run them.

Wouldn't civil servants in AGS be eligible for any internal competitions in Justice? I doubt AGS holds internal civil service promotional panels- it would be the home Department that would run them.

AGS do run internal panels, there is cuurently an EO one and a HEO one expired end of last summer and a new one hasnt been run

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

When I was in the AGS I wasn't eligible for any of the Internal Competitions in Justice.. just the open and interdepartmental.

Closing date is this Wednesday for anyone who hasn't got their application done (��*♀️��*♀️��*♀️)

Lots of copying and pasting happening! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 JamPack

Closing date is this Wednesday for anyone who hasn't got their application done (��*♀️��*♀️��*♀️)

It's Thursday actually, "3pm on the 21st." Just in case you're rushing through it, you have an extra day 🙂

Advertisement