Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended TV Shows - Podcasts etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Any particular genre?

True crime..

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I've been trying to think of documentaries, but podcasts are better IMO. The documentaries are so full of padding.

Bardstown (about recent unsolved murders in a small Kentucky town) has an equivalent TV documentary but it draaaaaaags. Highly recommend the Bardstown podcast though.

Ditto Bundyville - about the far right anti government movement in the western U.S. There's a PBS documentary about them (the Bundy family of Nevada - no relation to Ted) but again, I prefer the podcast.

There's gonna be a TV series of I'll Be Gone In The Dark.

Ah there's some excellent true crime documentaries but I've seen most of them and haven't come across a good one since the devil next door.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

I'll Be Gone In The Dark starting on Sky Crime at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hedley Thomas (The Teachers Pet podcast) has a new podcast about a missing Australian woman, called The Night Driver. First episode was good.

Love The Teacher's Pet. Thanks for that - have downloaded the first two episodes of The Night Driver now.

I'll Be Gone In The Dark TV show is excellent.

• Advertisement

Starting a pretty new podcast, Morally Indefensible.

Very promising so far.

https://podcastaddict.com/podcast/3054480

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhymeWhynot

I'll Be Gone In The Dark TV show is excellent.

It was garbage. Nothing but a michelle mcnamara tribute show, the actual crime spree of EARONS was secondary and at times almost an afterthought.

Absolute muck.

After I posted that, it became more about Michelle, which I found off putting too. Suppose it's because she died though.

Still gonna watch 5 and 6.

It was garbage. Nothing but a michelle mcnamara tribute show, the actual crime spree of EARONS was secondary and at times almost an afterthought.

Absolute muck.

Yeah, it's getting fantastic reviews but I'm disappointed with it really. As you said, it's mostly about Michelle McNamara and the actual case itself takes a back seat. I'll finish it but I'm not impressed.

Same. Not pushed about it overall after a very promising start.

At the same time though, I see why a lot of it focuses on Michelle. Very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Absolute muck.

Thank you, I lasted 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm reading the book at the moment, it's a bit jumpy and inconsistent. I just don't feel it works - make it a memoir or a true crime study of the killer, not both.

Obviously I'm aware she died before it was finished, I just feel it could have been edited into a more coherent final piece of literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 WhymeWhynot

These books came out before he was caught but are actually about the case.

41dw7QzNDHL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    New update after the arrest last thoughts added to this edition. The original comprehensive case files of the East Area Rapist who became known as The Original Night Stalker. A serial rapist turned serial murderer, he held California in a grip of fear for way too long. Larry Crompton tells us of the attacks that began in Northern CA in 1976 that continued on until 1986 that we know of. Prior to Sacramento attacks there was a serial prowler called the Visalia Ransacker with over 125 break in prowling's under his belt. Detective Crompton had a feeling all of the attacks were connected and tried to tell jurisdictions across the state. Retired from Contra Costa County Department Larry has never quit searching for this serial predator

410CpU1bGqL.jpg
    By examining the information from each assault, it gradually becomes clear just how meticulous the EAR/ONS was. Every detail, from selecting a victim, to the actual assault, appear to have been carefully planned and orchestrated. The EAR/ONS was as devoted to committing sexual assaults and murders as anyone devoted to their own profession. In a distorted way, he was a professional rapist / murderer, and quite probably a certifiable psychopath.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Audible has a really good podcast on the Golden State Killer called Evil Has A Name, it's narrated (hosted?) by Jim Clemente who I normally cannot stand but in the round it's a very well done deep dive into the crimes and has interviews with some of the victims which makes for sober listening.

Ah it's hard to beat casefile when it comes to the golden state killer. Thought the sky documentary was quite good also. Pity he never spilled the beans, would love to have heard his reasons and mental state.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Probably mentioned already ..

Anybody listening to ‘the night driver?’
    Same guy that did ‘the teachers pet’

Very same format and a little drawn out / but not bad.

Simultaneously listening to The Night Driver and Morally Indefensible. Enjoying both. That guy who's done The Teacher's Pet and The Night Driver really does drag things out though. Episodes are an average of an hour, whereas half an hour or 40 minutes is sufficient. But, I'm inclined to overlook that because the work he puts in, and the attention to detail... it's a real labour of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Mens Rae.... All about Irish murder cases. 9/10...highly recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Suckler

LilacNails wrote: »
    Mens Rae.... All about Irish murder cases. 9/10...highly recommend

Has improved massively from the early ones. Sometimes small details irk me more than they should but generally well researched and delivery is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

• Advertisement

You could try "the nobody zone" from RTE but there's only 2 episodes out, episodes released every Tuesday.

2 additional episodes released.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Only new to this thread & haven't time r/n to go back through the 8 Pages so far (but will make it my business to so so so's to catch up; I listen mainly to BBC Radio 5 Live & Rte Doc on One etc. so love Podcassts but the Kieran Kelly one I have to get back to).

Mens Rea one I listened to at the start for a few episodes; by Page 8 of this alone it seems worth getting back into?

Sunday World Podcast; heard 1st 2 so far & 3 & 4're worth my attn. Probbaly get to them on Christmas Day as I live alone & RTE Player is s***e if any decent demand placed on it; their Radio Docs're deadly though; such a treasure throve no matter what genre.

George Gibney Tapes & Stacey Dooley Investigates're where I'm at right now though; finding them riveting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

voldejoie wrote: »

Thanks for that, I've seen a few docs about it, very strange.
    That Chapter covered this one, all his eps are worth watching.

Simultaneously listening to The Night Driver and Morally Indefensible. Enjoying both. That guy who's done The Teacher's Pet and The Night Driver really does drag things out though. Episodes are an average of an hour, whereas half an hour or 40 minutes is sufficient. But, I'm inclined to overlook that because the work he puts in, and the attention to detail... it's a real labour of love.

I think it turns out in that format with Hedley Thomas because a lot of the podcast is made while he's actually investigating the case. There's new stuff coming to light all the time which is why he sometimes ends up treading over stuff he's already covered a few times.

He seems an excellent journalist all the same, Really puts the work in, as you said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Bill Ponderosa

Anyone watch the Ripper on Netflix yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I have too many favourite podcasts to choose from!

Mens Rea
    Trace Evidence
    Death in Ice Valley
    Crime Weekly
    West Cork

I also Stephanie Harlowe’s channel, The Murder of Elaine O’Hara and Rainy in Glenageary all on YouTube. YT has a huge amount of great true crime channels and documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Anyone watch the Ripper on Netflix yet?

Yes and I loved it. I like a good in depth look at a case and this is certainly that.

It also shows just how difficult a case it was to solve.

Highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Suckler

There was a drama on ITV the last few days about The Pembrokshire murders with a documentary on it also. Was well done I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Outcry on sky crime / Now tv is very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Yes and I loved it. I like a good in depth look at a case and this is certainly that.

It also shows just how difficult a case it was to solve.

Highly recommend it.

Have a feeling that was on tv3 few nights ago and forgot all about it damn it.

Advertisement