Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There are only three things I need in life: food, water, and compliments.

• 05-06-2018 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

I’m a long time follower of many of the logs on here and have decided to start one to keep track of what I’m doing. I recently read the 4 Pillar Plan by Dr Rangan Chatterjee and hope to implement some of his principles outlined in his book.

The 4 areas I hope to track are:
    1. Food
    2. Movement
    3. Sleep
    4. Relaxation

Current Stats
    Male
    Weight:165lb
    Height: 6 foot.

Past Training – I did Starting Strength 5x5 a few years back and really enjoyed it. Hoping to get back to where I was in terms of strength when doing that program.

Current Training – Following a fairly rough Push, Pull, Legs split. I try to set up each session to include 5 exercises (2x large compound movements and 3 exercise that are either isolation focused or less taxing.)

Limitations -I have Pectus excavatum. (Pectus excavatum is a congenital deformity of the anterior thoracic wall in which the sternum and rib cage grow abnormally. This produces a caved-in or sunken appearance of the chest.) I got it checked out a few years back. It reduces lung capacity by 10% but thankfully doesn't interfere with heart function. It mainly impacts the right side of my chest. Any exercises that involve pushing suffer as a result. No excuses though. It is what it is and I use it as a motivator rather than an inhibitor as much as possible.

Aims - Gain strength and stay injury free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Workout #1 - Pull Session

1. Pull-ups (+20kg) - 5 (Sets) x 4 (reps) - Used straps for the first 3 sets of these. I find the Mind-Muscle connection is a lot better when using them and it ensures that my weak forearm muscles are not failing before the back muscles.
    2. Bent Over Dumbell row (30kg DB) - 5 x5
    3. V-Bar Pulldown (120kg pin) - 3x5
    4. Seated Row Machine (91kg pin) - 3 x 5

Very happy with the Pull-ups. I have only recently switched over to using the overhand grip. Previously I always used underhand or hammer grip.

Food
    ~3,500 Calories

- 2 x cans of kidney beans
    - 1kg brocolli
    - 3 tomatoes
    - 2 chicken breasts
    - 500g clementines
    - 300g oats
    - 500ml low fat milk
    - 3.5 espressos
    - 1 scoop of Cookies and cream protein

Relaxation
    - 15 mins in Sauna

Workout #2 – Push day

1. DB incline bench press (30kg DB’s) – 5x5 – I stick to dumbbells for bench press due to the weakness on the right side of my chest.
    2. DB Pullover – 30kg DB – 3x8. Was hoping for 3x12 but I felt my right shoulder starting to feel the strain so settled for 3x8.
    3. Chest Press machine – Pin 10 – 3x5.
    4. Tricep pushdown - using rope attachment – 35kg pin – 3 x 6

Relaxation
    15 mins *swimming*. I've been trying to learn to swim for the past 3 months. I have built up to doing 10 metre bursts and then stopping to breath. I have been following the steps laid out in the Total Immersion swimming book after hearing it on the the Tim Ferriss podcast. I am happy with how my stroke technique has been progressing but can't seem to figure out the breathing side of it. I spotted someone using a snorkel the other day and after having a chat with the lad using it, I'm strongly considering ordering one this week.

Thought of the day - “Define your own success and failure; only you know whether or not you have given it your all”.

Workout #3 - Leg day

1. Barbell Back squats - 3 x 8 @ 90kg. Was meant o be 8 reps per set but only managed 7 reps on the last set.
    2. Leg Press - 3 x 5 @ 150kg
    3. Lying leg curl machine - 3 x5 @ 3x5 @ 43kg
    4. Leg extension - 3x5 @ 80kg
    5. Back extension - 3 x 8

Relaxation
    15 mins in Steam room

Learning
    https://www.strongfirst.com/the-fighter-pullup-program-revisited/

Thought of the day
    "You are either building people up or tearing them down"

Workout #4 - Rest Day

- 30 min walk on treadmill (6.5 speed - 7.0 incline)
    - Some hanging work I spotted on Ido Portal's website - http://www.idoportal.com/blog/hanging
    - Joe Defrancos Limber 11 routine

Thought of the Day
    "The pursuit of more knowledge is a form of procrastination" - Taken from the most recent episode of Danny Lennonls Sigma Nutrition Podcast.

Song of the Day
    Cosmic Gate - Exploration of Space - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NE2AvbROl5k

New food tested today
    Packet of Angel Delight Strawberry - No Added Sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 24,548 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Patsy167 wrote: »
    New food tested today
    Packet of Angel Delight Strawberry - No Added Sugar

Thoughts on it?

I've just been transported back in time by 30 years and if not negative, will give my taste buds some nostalgia.

• Advertisement

Thoughts on it?

I've just been transported back in time by 30 years and if not negative, will give my taste buds some nostalgia.

Loved it. I know its a classic dessert but it was my first time trying it. Added 300ml of milk and shook the bejaysus out of it in a shaker cup. 15 mins in the fridge and it was set. Nice treat.

Loved it. I know its a classic dessert but it was my first time trying it. Added 300ml of milk and shook the bejaysus out of it in a shaker cup. 15 mins in the fridge and it was set. Nice treat.

Boom!

As Prince sang: "tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1985"

Pull day

Pull ups (+15kg) - 5 x3
    Hammer grip pull up - 4x3
    Wide grip Pull up - 4x3
    Chin up - 1x8
    V-bar pulldown 3x5 @120kg pin
    Seated row - 3x4 @84 kg pin.
    Dumbell bent over row - 30kg dumbell - 3 x5

Very happy with the pull-ups. I have been reading up on proper technique for these recently and it seems to be paying off. Tilting the toes upwards as a queue for keeping the full body tight has been particularly useful.

Thought of the day
    "If you see someone without a smile, give them yours"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Put angel delight in an ice pop mould and freeze. That takes me back

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Put angel delight in an ice pop mould and freeze. That takes me back

Now there's an idea. I'll stock up on some more Angel delight this week and report back!

• Advertisement

Push day - Sunday 10.06.2018

Incline DB Bench Press 30kg - 5x5
    Dips - BW - 6x3
    Chest Press machine - Pin 8 - 3x5
    Lying down DB Pull over on bench - 30kg DB - 3x8
    Tricep pushdown - 35kg - 3 x 8

The right side of my chest and rotator cuff is the first to kick up a fuss towards the end of each set. Otherwise, happy with the bench press. May look at switching to some isolation chest work to develop the right side of chest more.

Thought of the day
    Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

Leg day - 11.06.2018

Squats - 3x5 @90kg; 3x3@90kg
    Trap Bar deadlift - 115kg - 3x5
    Leg Press - 120kg 3x5
    Single leg lying hamstring curl - 3 x 5 @ 23kg
    Single leg seated leg extension - 3x5 @45kg

I'm going to be very patient with the Squats and deadlifts. I know that my form is suspect at times so I don't want to increase weight until that is locked down.

Massive imbalances too. This has always been an issue but is improving with mobility work, particularly cross-hack squats.

Food of the day
    BUGGY PUFULEȚI CU LAPTE
    http://www.matias.ro/produse/buggy-pufuleti-aromati/
    These are the business. I discovered theses milk flavoured corn puffs in the Moldova store a few months back. They have quickly become my favorite snack. I dip them in natural yogurt. I cannot get my head around the macros either. The entire bag is huge, weighs 50g and only ~100 calories. May not be the healthiest but I've been eating a bag a day with no side effects.

http://www.matias.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/p-lapte-praf.jpg

Rest day

- 25 mins on Crosstrainer - Slow and low resistance.
    - Ab wheel - 3x5
    - Russian Twists (20kg plate) - 3x5

Hoping to add in more cardio exercises on rest days. I'm considering getting a swimming snorkel and using swimming as a form of low impact cardio

Thought of the day

Everything worthwhile in life comes through compound interest

Food of the day
    Can of sardines in brine
    + 3 teaspoons of natural yogurt
    + 1 tablespoon mustard
    + Chicken salt

Mix together to form a paste. Served with fresh crusty bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Leg day - 11.06.2018

S

Food of the day
    BUGGY PUFULEȚI CU LAPTE
    http://www.matias.ro/produse/buggy-pufuleti-aromati/
    These are the business. I discovered theses milk flavoured corn puffs in the Moldova store a few months back. They have quickly become my favorite snack. I dip them in natural yogurt. I cannot get my head around the macros either. The entire bag is huge, weighs 50g and only ~100 calories. May not be the healthiest but I've been eating a bag a day with no side effects.

http://www.matias.ro/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/p-lapte-praf.jpg

Oooh they look cool - like a plain version of chickatees (if you are old enough to remember them :o) I might try and hnt down a moldovan shop somewhere and try them

Looking at the ingredients, I'd say the nutritional info might be wrong - they look about 65%+ corn meal which is around 80% carbs so I'd say the carb content is a lot higher than 26g per 100g, but I'd say they are still only 200 kcals per 50g bag or so, so not much more anyway.

Oooh they look cool - like a plain version of chickatees (if you are old enough to remember them :o) I might try and hnt down a moldovan shop somewhere and try them

Looking at the ingredients, I'd say the nutritional info might be wrong - they look about 65%+ corn meal which is around 80% carbs so I'd say the carb content is a lot higher than 26g per 100g, but I'd say they are still only 200 kcals per 50g bag or so, so not much more anyway.

I had my suspicions about the nutritional info. Seemed too good to be true. They are very tasty with a dip and have a denser texture, similar to Burger bites or hot lips. I tried the ketchup flavor puffs yesterday. Very nice with a hot salsa dip.

Pull Day

Pull Ups - (+15kg) 5x3
    Chin Ups - (+15kg) - 3x5
    Wide grip BW Pull up - 3x3
    Neutral grip Pull up (Palms facing each other) - 3x3
    Seated row @91kg - 3x5
    V bar Pulldown @120kg - 3x5
    Single Arm DB Row 30kg DB - 5x5

I'm trying to use the greasing the grove method to increase the overall number of pull ups completed in each session. Spreading them out over the entire workout and not going to failure on any of the sets seems to be working well.

Thought of the day
    How you do anything is how you do everything

Interesting Podcast of the day

https://www.kitmanlabs.com/game-changer-podcast/

Very interesting area on tracking athletes performance

Leg day and Push Day

Trap Bar deadlift @125kg - 5x5
    DB Bench press @30kg Dumbelss - 6x5
    Dips @ BW - 3x5
    Chest Press Machine Pin8 - 3x5
    Tricep pushdown @ 42kg - 3x5

Was meant to be a push day only but decided to add in the trap bar deadlift as well. I was listening to a Tim Ferriss episode recently with Ryan Flaherty talking about the trap bar deadlift. very insightful episode and the results he got with the athletes was incredible. Well worth a listen - https://tim.blog/2017/05/07/ryan-flaherty/

Thought of the day

Diversify how you measure progress

Heard this from the guest on the most recent episode of Danny lennons podcast. Rather than solely focusing on one metric (e.g weight on the bar or body weight), also consider number of reps, technique, focus, approach, mentality etc.

Protein Bar Review

MaxiMuscle Cyclone Bar Peanut Butter 60g - https://www.google.ie/search?q=MaxiMuscle+Cyclone+Bar+Peanut+Butter+60g&rlz=1C1GCEA_enIE793IE793&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjeoc_W-NLbAhUJIMAKHXHcDesQ_AUICigB&biw=1010&bih=515

Very similar in taste to a Snickers. Layer of caramel, and peanuts on top and dense bottom layer of nougat. Good chew and very satisfying. 60g bar gives 215 cals and 20g protein. Rating 8/10

Rest Day

- Joe Defranco's Limber 11
    - 30 mins slow on crosstrainer
    - 10 mins swimming
    - 15 mins sauna
    - 5 min cold shower

Thought of the day
    “It’s the little details that are vital. Little things make big things happen.”

Protein Bar Review
    Optimum Nutrition Opti-Lean Whey Bar Chocolate Mint

Dense and chewy. Taste similar to Mint Aero. Not enough going on in this bar on the texture front. It's missing some extra element. Some crunch bits or an after-eight like layer is needed to make this bar feel like a treat. Rating 7/10.

Pull Day - 17.06

Pull Ups (+15kg) - 8x3
    Chin Ups (+15 kg) - 3x5
    Wide Grip Pull ups - 3x3
    Neutral grip Pull Ups - 3x3
    Chin ups - 3x3

Dumbell Row (30kg dumbell) - 5x5
    Seated cable row (91kg pin) 3x5

Delighted with how the Pull ups are coming along at the moment. The repetition of the Greasing the grove method seems to be working well.

Food of the Day

Bag of Gusto Corn Puffs and hot Salsa dip. Stumbled upon these recently and they are a game changer. High volume, low calories. Puffs and jar of dip for less than 350 cals

https://www.parthenonfoods.com/products/gusto-romanian-corn-snack-pufuleti-85g?variant=1207560041

Leg Day

High Bar Back Squats (90kg) - 6x5
    Trap Bar deadlift (125kg) - 3x5
    Lying hamstring curl (43kg pin) - 3x5
    Seated leg curl - (80kg pin) - 3x7

My recovery for legs seems very poor at the moment. Not sure whether more food or sleep is needed. Been using the same weight for the past month and todays squats honestly felt like an RPE of 9 at times. 4 days since I last trained legs. Need to do some experimenting with more coffee/food/sleep and see what happens.

Thought of the day
    If it is to be, it is up to me.

• Advertisement

Push Day

Dumbell Bench Press (30kg Db's) - 6x5
    Dumbell Pullover (36 kg DB) - 3x7
    Tricep Pushdown with straight bar @41kg 3x5
    Russian twists (20kg plate) - 3x10
    Ab wheel roll-outs - 3x8

Very happy with how the Dumbell bench pressing is going. Hope to continue adding volume until I get to a total of 40 reps in the session.

Felt weak toward the end of the workout and seem to have dropped a few pound over the past few weeks which was not in my plans. Need to focus more on Nutrition and recovery.

Thought of the day
    "People are not interested in how much you know. They want yo know how much you care"

Thought of the day
    "People are not interested in how much you know. They want yo know how much you care bench"

FYP :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,712 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Sitting in the Physio waiting room and what was in front of me...

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Sitting in the Physio waiting room and what was in front of me...
    Haha, the book seems to be getting a lot of exposure on the back of the "Doctor in the house" TV series on the BBC. His podcast also has some good information. There's nothing new in the book that you won't have seen elsewhere but it is very well put together. Implementing some of the recommendations around sleep and relaxation have been surprisingly difficult to stick to.

I know I should do meditation daily and not use my phone before bed but implementing it daily requires a lot of discipline.

Rest Day

- 30 mins easy on the cross trainer
    - 15 mins swimming. Have been watching some more videos on breathing techniques and they have been useful. Taking in just enough air using the side of the mouth "the popeye technique" has been a good mental queue.

- I started taking 10 min ice-cold showers after each workout and they have been a revelation. The improvement in alertness has been noticeable.

Thought of the day
    Well done is better than well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,437 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Rest Day

- I started taking 10 min ice-cold showers after each workout and they have been a revelation. The improvement in alertness has been noticeable.

:eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

:pac: I think I may have been exaggerating there. It feels like 10 minutes but is probably closer to 1 minute.

Leg Day

Felt weak as a kitten walking into the gym this morning. Considered postponing the session for another day but decided that the goal for today would be just to get the session done. Numbers were way off but I hit my aim of getting through it, so happy to mark it off in the diary and move on.

High Bar Back squats (90kg) - 5x5
    Trap Bar deadlift (105kg) - 6x5, 3x3
    Single leg - Seated leg curl (45kg) - 3x7 - Switched to single leg for these. For some reason, my left leg is significantly stronger than my right. Seems strange to me as I am right handed and right-footed.
    Single leg lying Hamstring Leg curl - (23kg) - 3x5

I did a form check in the mirror on the Trap bar deadlifts and it wasn't a pretty sight. Shoulders seem to be rolling forward and some anterior pelvic tilt at the bottom of my back.

Tried to keep more upright and use the "Pretend you are squashing oranges under your arm pits" queue on the last few sets of the trap bar deadlift and it seemed to correct the shoulders rolling forward.

I'll continue to use Crosshack-squats and Joe Defranco's Limber 11 on my off-days to improve ankle and hamstring mobility.

10 ;) 1 minute cold shower afterwards.

Thoughts of the day
    Don’t measure yourself by what you’ve accomplished, but rather by what you should have accomplished with your abilities.

Goals should be difficult to achieve because those achieved with little effort are seldom appreciated, give little personal satisfaction, and are often not very worthwhile.

Understand there is a price to be paid for achieving anything of significance. You must be willing to pay the price.

Pull Day

Pull Ups
    Overhand Pull Ups (+25kg) 2x3,1x2
    Overhand Pull Ups (+15kg) 8x3
    Mixed grip Pull Ups (BW) 3x3
    Neutral grip Pull ups (BW) 2x3
    Wide Grip Pull Ups (BW) 3x3

Seated low bar row (@91kg) - 3x5
    V-Bar Pulldown (@120kg) - 3x5
    Back extensions - 3x5

Very happy with how the Pull-Ups are progressing. I'll be cautious about adding more weighted pull ups as I made the mistake in the past of overdoing them and had issues with my shoulders and bicep tendon.

Thought of the day
    Any workout will make you tired, but a good workout will make you better.

Protein Bar Review

Battle Oats Dark Chocolate Chip 70g flapjack

Not exactly a protein bar and the Macros are fairly poor. Only 15g of protein for a 300cal bar. Very tasty though. They almost certainly tried to copy the triple chcocolate Rice Krispie squares. Chocolate chunks on top and krispie pieces throughout. Given the Macros, they are more suited to a meal replacement on the go rather than a treat after the gym. 7/10

• Advertisement

Thought of the day
    Any workout will make you tired, but a good workout will make you better.

I actually really like that!

Advertisement