Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical agricultural officer

• 17-08-2016 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi
    Did anyone here apply for this position? Any idea how many they are looking to take on or how soon they are going to start hiring.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Iloverain wrote: »
    Hi
    Did anyone here apply for this position? Any idea how many they are looking to take on or how soon they are going to start hiring.

It is a bit unclear what job exactly you are referring to? Are these the assistant agricultural inspector jobs on publicjobs.ie or something completely different?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Iloverain

BaaLamb wrote: »
    It is a bit unclear what job exactly you are referring to? Are these the assistant agricultural inspector jobs on publicjobs.ie or something completely different?

No it's not the inspector job it's a technical agricultural officer. It was advertised in May.
    I tried to post a link of the position but I'm not allowed 😞

Ah ok, an older campaign from earlier in the year then. Have you heard anything back at all?

Ah ok, an older campaign from earlier in the year then. Have you heard anything back at all?

I did an interview last week waiting for the result of that now. Just wondering if anyone had any other info on it.

I did an interview last week waiting for the result of that now. Just wondering if anyone had any other info on it.

Sorry I've no information I'm afraid but I'd like to wish you the very best of luck.

• Advertisement

Sorry I've no information I'm afraid but I'd like to wish you the very best of luck.

ThanksðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Yes I got my result today I'm on the panel. Don't have any idea how many jobs or where though. Best of luck to you :-)

Yes I got my result today I'm on the panel. Don't have any idea how many jobs or where though. Best of luck to you :-)

Congrats. Just after seeing I am on the panel too. Down in the 50s tho so won't be expecting to be called anytime soon.

I don't have a clue about this panel stuff but well done to both posters for making it on the panel.

Congrats. Just after seeing I am on the panel too. Down in the 50s tho so won't be expecting to be called anytime soon.

I'm not far ahead of you in the 40's. They did say at the start of the year they were taking on 200 people across all sectors in Agriculture so you never know, the majority of those jobs might be TAOs :D

• Advertisement

I'm not far ahead of you in the 40's. They did say at the start of the year they were taking on 200 people across all sectors in Agriculture so you never know, the majority of those jobs might be TAOs :D

Ah well done:) yea that would be great if they were😂 I taught that they would be rankings based on your region like they do with the clerical officer. Don't know ehy they asked for preferences of it was going to be a panel for Ireland.

Ah well done:) yea that would be great if they were😂 I taught that they would be rankings based on your region like they do with the clerical officer. Don't know ehy they asked for preferences of it was going to be a panel for Ireland.

The mysterious workings of the PAS :D The competition seems to be going pretty fast though compared to the CO/EO ones though so they might start placing people soon. They talked a lot about factory work to me in the interview so maybe that's where a lot of the jobs will be based.

The mysterious workings of the PAS :D The competition seems to be going pretty fast though compared to the CO/EO ones though so they might start placing people soon. They talked a lot about factory work to me in the interview so maybe that's where a lot of the jobs will be based.

What kind of stuff does a Technical agricultural officer do generally? Do you guys have Ag science degrees?

I've applied for one of the Assistant Agricultural Inspectors posts and I hope I'll at least get an interview. However I reckon the world and its mother probably applied and it is possible I may be considered to be overqualified. The advert said you could be placed in Dublin, Wexford, Portlaoise or one of their other local centres. Was this the case for the Tech ag officer posts as well?

What kind of stuff does a Technical agricultural officer do generally? Do you guys have Ag science degrees?

I've applied for one of the Assistant Agricultural Inspectors posts and I hope I'll at least get an interview. However I reckon the world and its mother probably applied and it is possible I may be considered to be overqualified. The advert said you could be placed in Dublin, Wexford, Portlaoise or one of their other local centres. Was this the case for the Tech ag officer posts as well?

Well I reckoned the world and its mother applied for the TAO too because I was at the agri career fair back in March when they announced the jobs and the Dept stand was absolutely mobbed. I have a level 6 cert in Agriculture but my degree isn't, it did have a lot of animal health modules though so I don't know if they took that into consideration.
    In my interview they asked me how I'd feel about working in a meat factory and some of the stuff like taking samples post mortem was something I did as part of my degree. I think you could be put doing welfare checks in marts or you could be office based.
    My qualifications wouldn't have been enough for what you applied for, did you need to have a level 8 knowledge of soil science?
    We were given no indication of where the jobs were but we were asked to list our preferred locations

Well I reckoned the world and its mother applied for the TAO too because I was at the agri career fair back in March when they announced the jobs and the Dept stand was absolutely mobbed. I have a level 6 cert in Agriculture but my degree isn't, it did have a lot of animal health modules though so I don't know if they took that into consideration.
    In my interview they asked me how I'd feel about working in a meat factory and some of the stuff like taking samples post mortem was something I did as part of my degree. I think you could be put doing welfare checks in marts or you could be office based.
    My qualifications wouldn't have been enough for what you applied for, did you need to have a level 8 knowledge of soil science?
    We were given no indication of where the jobs were but we were asked to list our preferred locations

Yeah you needed a Level 8 and a postgrad qual was desirable. There were several different types of ass ag inspector advertised: chemistry, agriculture, ecotoxicology, ecology and a few more.

Hopefully you get a job from the panel now, are you working somewhere already?

Yeah you needed a Level 8 and a postgrad qual was desirable. There were several different types of ass ag inspector advertised: chemistry, agriculture, ecotoxicology, ecology and a few more.

Hopefully you get a job from the panel now, are you working somewhere already?

Thanks hope you do too:) I work as a veterinary nurse and farmer so I'm hoping to get something within an easy driving distance. I'm in the west though so it hasn't been easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JohnCash0260

I'm a bit late here but I also applied for the position of Technical Agricultural Officer and did the interview. I'll admit my interview was pretty bad and I was placed mid 60's on the order of merit. I'd say I have little chance of getting anything but I suppose it all depends on how many they're looking for. The 200 new recruits I think refers to all the the various jobs including the recently advertised Assistant Agricultural Advisors position which you need level 8 soil science.

Mid 60's isn't bad considering they brought 130 or thereabouts forward to the supervised test stage.

Mid 60's isn't bad considering they brought 130 or thereabouts forward to the supervised test stage.

They're very slow aren't they? This is going on since April. Did you hear anything yet? Jobs are hard enough to get in the ag sector. You're up against people with experience and PhDs.

I wonder how many passed the test and got to interview?

• Advertisement

They're very slow aren't they? This is going on since April. Did you hear anything yet? Jobs are hard enough to get in the ag sector. You're up against people with experience and PhDs.

That's fast though compared to the open competitions in the civil service. There are people who applied for that back in 2014 who are only getting called for interview now:D
    Would be good to know how many did make the panel and how long the panel will be valid for.

That's fast though compared to the open competitions in the civil service. There are people who applied for that back in 2014 who are only getting called for interview now:D
    Would be good to know how many did make the panel and how long the panel will be valid for.

I was talking to a lady in public jobs and she was saying that there is 120 on the panel and it runs for 2 years. She didn't really say much else other than I should have a very good chance in the 50's as she doesn't think they would have interviewed that many people unless they would be taking on the vast majority. If that makes sense :)

I was talking to a lady in public jobs and she was saying that there is 120 on the panel and it runs for 2 years. She didn't really say much else other than I should have a very good chance in the 50's as she doesn't think they would have interviewed that many people unless they would be taking on the vast majority. If that makes sense :)

Thanks for the info. I might have a chance after all. I suppose it's best to get a job in the meantime if the panel could run for two years.

Yay!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Horti

Hi all,
    I did the interview the Friday same as most others I take it and got e mail following week telling me I came 9th on panel but still no job!!! Oh don't you love the public service and its speed!! Yes they gave a lot of time talking about been on factory line...and I applied with a Hort. degree.

Horti wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I did the interview the Friday same as most others I take it and got e mail following week telling me I came 9th on panel but still no job!!! Oh don't you love the public service and its speed!! Yes they gave a lot of time talking about been on factory line...and I applied with a Hort. degree.

That doesn't sound right. If you came 9th you should definitely get a job. They told me my position on the order of merit but didn't say if I would get a job or not. They said the department would contact me if they reached my number on the panel.

If you think this process is slow you should read some of the CO and EO threads here. Garda clearance and all that.

Horti wrote: »
    Yes they gave a lot of time talking about been on factory line...and I applied with a Hort. degree.

Must be a lot of factory vacancies so. They did specifically ask for people with horticulture qualifications too though so they must have a reason.

Oh dear the numbers that applied for the Assistant Agricultural Inspector roles are pretty high for some of the positions including the one I applied for:eek:

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/applications-flood-in-for-departments-agricultural-inspector-jobs/#

Goodness knows when they will start calling for interviews!

• Advertisement

Oh dear the numbers that applied for the Assistant Agricultural Inspector roles are pretty high for some of the positions including the one I applied for:eek:

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/applications-flood-in-for-departments-agricultural-inspector-jobs/#

Goodness knows when they will start calling for interviews!

I saw that alright. It would be nice to know how many applied for Technical Agricultural Officer aswell.

Advertisement