Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Ninty Direct

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

looking forward to TP HD and at least we know the new zelda game is still confirmed for the wii u. Not sure about anything else tho, xenoblade looks good but couldnt get into the 3ds one so i doubt ill be buying it. Half tempted by hyrule warriors legends but already got the other one for wii u. glad triforce heros and splatoon are getting updates too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

That Wipeout ripoff looks tasty, out in a couple of weeks too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Definitely getting Typoman. And out next week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I didn't really expect any new big announcements - Star Fox and Zelda U were meant to be 2015's big releases and when they got pushed Nintendo could hardly just magic big AAA titles from thin air (and considering a third party is handling Twilight Princess instead of in house with EAD (who did Wind Waker HD) all available hands are probably on deck for Zelda U).

I think there's a lot to look forward to though, particularly on the 3DS side with Yo-Kai Watch, Happy Home Designer, Fire Emblem, Triforce Heroes, Mario and Luigi x Paper Mario, Final Fantasy Explorers, Bravely Second, a new Langrisser, two Dragon Quests, Terraria, Mega Man Collection, Sonic Boom and Hyrule Warriors.

And it's not like there's nothing on Wii U with Xenoblade, Star Fox, Pokken, Minecraft: Story Mode, Twilight Princess, Mighty No. 9, continued DLC for existing games, and eventually Zelda U.

Not to mention Nintendo's ever expanding Indie support. And that Midgar Smash stage looks awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If Paper Jam Mario is another 50 hour game like the last one, I'll be very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Reading a lot of complaints on other sites that Twilight Princess doesn't look much better in HD. Not sure what stream people were watching as to my eyes, it was a significant improvement over the SD version.

Also really liking the look of Starfox. Looking forward to a shooter that isn't about constantly leveling up and customization for the sake of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,952 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I too have been reading a lot of complaints about TP HD and I can kind of see where people are coming from.
    screenshot2015-11-12aevpnf.png

Those spires on top of the towers look awful. Nearly look like they're from the N64. I don't think the improvements look nearly as good as the other Zelda remakes. And that's the thing, for it to look really good it would a tonne of work, it's not worth the money in Nintendo's eyes. I think it looks alright, nothing special. The character models seem to have had the most improvement. I'm more annoyed that amiibo are in nearly every game now. They're Trojan horse DLC. I cannot state enough how much I despise them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

sligeach wrote: »
    more SCamiibo.
    F*** off SCamiibo.
    more SCamiibo attached.
    I hate how amiibo are in everything though. I despise them.
    I cannot state enough how much I despise them.

Actually, you can.

Still not enough. :)

I too have been reading a lot of complaints about TP HD and I can kind of see where people are coming from.
    screenshot2015-11-12aevpnf.png

Those spires on top of the towers look awful. Nearly look like they're from the N64. I don't think the improvements look nearly as good as the other Zelda remakes. And that's the thing, for it to look really good it would a tonne of work, it's not worth the money in Nintendo's eyes. I think it looks alright, nothing special. The character models seem to have had the most improvement. I'm more annoyed that amiibo are in nearly every game now. They're Trojan horse DLC. I cannot state enough how much I despise them.

I would say that the screenshot is that bad due to the poor quality of the underlying assets as opposed to an issue with the HD upgrade. The SD version of that same section of footage looks significantly worse.

As you said though, it's not worth Nintendo's time or money to go back and change stuff like this.

Not sure I'll pick up the game regardless but the limited edition version does look pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Nintendo must be laughing their asses off how Amiibos have caught on in such a big way. The profits must be astronomical.

I'm with sligeach. Do not see the appeal, not even 1 iota. Have never, will never.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Reading a lot of complaints on other sites that Twilight Princess doesn't look much better in HD. Not sure what stream people were watching as to my eyes, it was a significant improvement over the SD version.

I was watching it on twitch, and was getting loads of compression artifacting and blurry-ness when watching it, so couldn't see any big improvement save for a couple of textures, at least until watching the side-by-side.

The comparison video makes it look like they've wiped a load of vaseline off the camera!

Star Lord wrote: »
    I was watching it on twitch, and was getting loads of compression artifacting and blurry-ness when watching it, so couldn't see any big improvement save for a couple of textures, at least until watching the side-by-side.

The comparison video makes it look like they've wiped a load of vaseline off the camera!

Ah makes sense now. I was watching it live streaming on Youtube on my PS4 so was great quality throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nintendo must be laughing their asses off how Amiibos have caught on in such a big way. The profits must be astronomical.

I'm with sligeach. Do not see the appeal, not even 1 iota. Have never, will never.

Different things for different people though. I have a few of them but wouldn't be big into them. But it's not really hard to see why they are popular, small figurines of Nintendo characters that also have a limited use in another way. It's hardly a scam either when it's completely up to the people to buy them or not. Some people like things like figurines, face plates, posters, collecting cards, funnily enough I'm not really into any of them but the world would be a boring place if it was only things I liked :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Corholio wrote: »
    Different things for different people though. I have a few of them but wouldn't be big into them. But it's not really hard to see why they are popular, small figurines of Nintendo characters that also have a limited use in another way. It's hardly a scam either when it's completely up to the people to buy them or not. Some people like things like figurines, face plates, posters, collecting cards, funnily enough I'm not really into any of them but the world would be a boring place if it was only things I liked :P

Agreed. I can see how they might not appeal to a lot of people. I have 0 interest in the cards (well, maybe a tiny 5% urge to collect but I'm fighting that urge into a dark corner in the basement...) but personally I love amiibo collecting and can't wait for the animal crossing amiibos this month, plus the next 4 that have been announced. Can't wait to see Ryu and Cloud amiibos, and even for the non-collector, that Twilight Princess Wolf Link with Midna is just gorgeous and would make a beautiful desktop ornament. :) Oh wait, is this not the "growling urge to collect amiibos" thread? Back on topic: who's getting that Wolf Link amiibo that was announced during this latest Direct? :pac: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,445 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

New ND tomorrow to announce summer releases for Wii U and 3ds. 10pm our time.

http://nintendoeverything.com/new-nintendo-direct-announced-for-tomorrow/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Fire emblem release date! And probably find out if star fox is delayed or not! And footage of metroid!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Eagerly anticipating a Fire Emblem release date.

Hope the special edition is released in Europe.

At long last. Expect a lot on TP: HD to try and sell it. I kind of thought and hoped it would be after TP: HD so that way they could show Zelda U. They may not now want to distract sales away. What will they say about Star Fox Zero if they're meeting on Friday to decide its release date? I think there'll be a good bit of footage shown from it. New Star Fox amiibo incoming, guaranteed, 100% nailed on. Possibly an amiibo bundle, they can't leave the things alone. And rumours are there's only 1 more unannounced Wii U game, I hope it's not shovelware.

The unannounced game is almost certainly paper mario.

• Advertisement

The unannounced game is almost certainly paper mario.

Or Pikmin 4.

Can we have a proper title for Genei Ibun Roku #FE please? It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. I can almost picture what'll be there. My Nintendo, surely. I'd like surprises.

And the biggest wish of all, information on NX. I still think we're a month away from information on that front.

Just heard Nintendo's Japanese website has confirmed that there'll be no mention of mobile or NX news tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nintendo US already said in their initial announcement there wouldn't be any NX or mobile, which is standard enough now. There won't be any NX news in a Direct for Wii U and 3DS. It'll certainly have it's own platform when it is announced.

Eh, thats fine. Wasn't expecting NX news yet, more eager to hear about paper mario and star fox and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

And the biggest wish of all, information on NX. I still think we're a month away from information on that front.

I'd say will get nothing on the NX till just before E3, so maybe May for the initial reveal, with software reveals at E3.

Think that's a Yokai Watch he's pointing to. I don't like Shibata's presentations, his English pronunciation is beyond awful.

Supposed 'leak' humongous pinch of salt as usual.

nintendo-direct-lek.jpg

http://www.n1ntendo.nl/article/49966/1/exclusieve-wereldprimeur-inhoud-nieuwe-nintendo-direct-gelekt

Said site leaked castlevania 3DS a few years ago apparently. I mean it looks fake, but everything thats on there is pretty much an educated guess either way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super Nintendo on New Nintendo 3... ??
    3DS?
    3D Classics series! Please be this! I don't mind rebuying SMW and aLttP if they are in 3D!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

I really really hope that SNES on 3DS is real!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Star Fox Zero bundled with transforming Amiibo?

• Advertisement

Supposed 'leak' humongous pinch of salt as usual.

nintendo-direct-lek.jpg

http://www.n1ntendo.nl/article/49966/1/exclusieve-wereldprimeur-inhoud-nieuwe-nintendo-direct-gelekt

Said site leaked castlevania 3DS a few years ago apparently. I mean it looks fake, but everything thats on there is pretty much an educated guess either way.

I hope that's fake. That's awful if true. I honestly can't remember a brilliant Direct. MK8 DLC Direct. I don't know, just a guess. Not saying the game's have been bad but Yoshi's Wool snore shop, zzz. The game itself was brilliant, I think it's an underappreciated gem. They've been so disappointing and brutal for the most part, maybe I'm forgetting something but I miss live events. Twilight Princess's original reveal was the pinnacle. I want that and Nintendo need them. Not cold, impersonal, boring videos. They know they haven't competed and really wowed people for 2 generations. Take back your crown Nintendo.

Advertisement