Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Microsoft Band

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Has the auto-detection of sleep stopped for anyone over the last week or so?

I think it coincided with the update to prep the Band for the most recent Golf update.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Always tend to put it manually into sleep mode myself, to stop getting notifications, so I haven't noticed

MJohnston wrote: »
    Always tend to put it manually into sleep mode myself, to stop getting notifications, so I haven't noticed

I do as well, but sometimes I forget and I'd have my sleep tracked anyway. But not so anymore. And a reset of the band hasn't fixed it. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The band is going to be part of Amazons Prime Day deals at 11:10, it'll be on sale for £118.99 instead of the usual £159.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

CatInABox wrote: »
    The band is going to be part of Amazons Prime Day deals at 11:10, it'll be on sale for £118.99 instead of the usual £159.99.

got one thanks.

suffering early buyers remorse and wondering should i cancel the order...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭g0g

This news might be worth bearing in mind for those thinking of buying now. I know everyone says there's always something better going to come along soon, but today they've confirmed it.

Kind of a dumb move really, but honestly, that Amazon price was a bit of a steal. I'm hoping they make the screen a little sharper, the whole thing a little bit thinner, and the battery life a little better. Oh and throw in an NFC chip somehow. I don't ask much.

Another small update for the Band was released this evening :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I finally jumped and bought one, my fitbit charge finally bit the dust.
    Delighted with it so far, not at all bulky for me anyway.
    Littlewoods have it for 239 and there are any amount of 10% codes floating about so I got it for 215e or get credit from LW and 20% off first credit order so 191e, you can pay it in full after initial credit order

I was going to wait till v2 but that'll probably be summer next year

V happy with it so far

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    I was going to wait till v2 but that'll probably be summer next year

Not to burst your bubble but it's likely to be Oct/Nov this year :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

theothernt wrote: »
    Not to burst your bubble but it's likely to be Oct/Nov this year :cool:

I'll believe that when I see it (availability here, that is);)
    But anyway happy with v1 purchase

got mine today - is there supposed to be a screen guard included?

if not, can anyone recommend one please.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

Recently took up mountain biking. How would the band be useful in this type of scenario? Any good GPS wise? Any good as heart rate cadence etc? Speed?

A lot of people have biking computers and gps, wondering if the band could fulfil one or more of those roles?

GEO147 wrote: »
    Recently took up mountain biking. How would the band be useful in this type of scenario? Any good GPS wise? Any good as heart rate cadence etc? Speed?

A lot of people have biking computers and gps, wondering if the band could fulfil one or more of those roles?

I use it for medium-distance road cycling, and it's great for GPS, great for heart rate, great for tracking speed and elevation. You can then connect it with Strava which allows you to sync the data and use all the features of that app. Microsoft Health will also, after a few workouts/bike rides/runs etc start calculating your VO2 Max, which is nice. It won't track anything about cadence however, so you won't necessarily get a great read out on downhill effort. Being able to leave your phone behind at home, and just bring the Band, is really useful, especially as it can track GPS even without the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭GEO147

I use it for medium-distance road cycling, and it's great for GPS, great for heart rate, great for tracking speed and elevation. You can then connect it with Strava which allows you to sync the data and use all the features of that app. Microsoft Health will also, after a few workouts/bike rides/runs etc start calculating your VO2 Max, which is nice. It won't track anything about cadence however, so you won't necessarily get a great read out on downhill effort. Being able to leave your phone behind at home, and just bring the Band, is really useful, especially as it can track GPS even without the phone.

Awesome. Thanks for detailed response MJ. Sounds like a purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭jos22

ablelocks wrote: »

nope I use Skinomi one on mine

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ZAGG-invisibleSHIELD-Screen-Protector-for-Microsoft-Band/productID.309114400

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Davy wrote: »
    Bought the Band at a Microsoft Store while in the US recently - they threw in the Screen Protector for free (and even put it on the band for me)... It's the one device I have with a screen protector that hasn't a single bubble on it.

It's a pity we don't have an MS Store in Ireland.

Davy wrote: »

thanks - ordered that one from the MS UK store and it got delivered today. I tried to get support to send one to me foc but they wouldn't budge - £9.99 is a bit steep but better than scratches on the screen.

bubble free will be a challenge on the small screen ....

thanks - ordered that one from the MS UK store and it got delivered today. I tried to get support to send one to me foc but they wouldn't budge - £9.99 is a bit steep but better than scratches on the screen.

bubble free will be a challenge on the small screen ....

Clean it really well, dry it completely, then use a credit card to help you apply it to the screen. Even if you do end up with a couple of bubbles, in my experience they go away pretty quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Clean it really well, dry it completely, then use a credit card to help you apply it to the screen. Even if you do end up with a couple of bubbles, in my experience they go away pretty quickly.
    The way they did it in the Microsoft Store for me was first to use some Scotch tape on the screen to clear off any dust or fingerprints. It's easy to peel off and exactly the right width for the Band Screen.

They then slowly tried to line it up and put in place using the card that came in the box to rub out any remaining bubbles.

Even with that method and their experience, it still took them two screen protectors to get it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

I wonder if the MS Band would suit my requirements? It seems to tick certain boxes but not others.

here are some of my thoughts, would like to hear some of yours.
    • I'm looking for a fitness tracker with GPS tracking and Heart Rate Monitor essential
    • I am not looking for a smart watch, I have a good old fashioned analog watch on my left wrist which I will continue to wear. Ideally I would like a simple fitbit style bracelet on my right wrist. I do not want to look like I'm wearing two watches. If the band has a bright display that never sleeps, that could be a deal breaker.
    • Preferably, the device would not even have a display or UI but seeing that the MS Band does I would hope not to need to use it much other than perhaps to activate certain features such as GPS tracking. Smart watch style features and alerts would be switched off.
    • It seems many Band owners wear the device with display covering inside wrist. Will it still measure heart rate accurately when face this way?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I wonder if the MS Band would suit my requirements? It seems to tick certain boxes but not others.

here are some of my thoughts, would like to hear some of yours.
    • I'm looking for a fitness tracker with GPS tracking and Heart Rate Monitor essential
    • I am not looking for a smart watch, I have a good old fashioned analog watch on my left wrist which I will continue to wear. Ideally I would like a simple fitbit style bracelet on my right wrist. I do not want to look like I'm wearing two watches. If the band has a bright display that never sleeps, that could be a deal breaker.
    • Preferably, the device would not even have a display or UI but seeing that the MS Band does I would hope not to need to use it much other than perhaps to activate certain features such as GPS tracking. Smart watch style features and alerts would be switched off.
    • It seems many Band owners wear the device with display covering inside wrist. Will it still measure heart rate accurately when face this way?

That was exactly my list of requirements as well, and the Band does the job perfectly.

I wear my standard watch on my left, and the band on the right, only a few people have noticed it.

The screen is usually off, only lights up when a notification comes in, and even then, it only comes on for ten seconds. Any activity (Running, cycling, etc) I do, I activate on the screen, and then I turn the screen off to conserve battery. The GPS is good, but I need to start in a local park or open space so that it can lock on. Once it's locked on (20 seconds or so.), then it's perfect. Display when on is not bright.

You can configure the band not to notify you, but I don't see the point, as the notifications aren't as intrusive as you'd think. Mainly I check it to see who I got a text from, rather than to read the message.

I wear the screen on the inside, as it's easier to use in the mode, and find the heart rate tracking very good, I can't tell the difference between the two (inside or out).

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

That's good to hear CatInABox. It sounds like it will suit my purposes then. this would be a Cristmas wishlist item so perhaps v2 will be on the market by then, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice.

That's good to hear CatInABox. It sounds like it will suit my purposes then. this would be a Cristmas wishlist item so perhaps v2 will be on the market by then, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice.

V2 is apparently being revealed in October, but considering how badly they did the first launch, it could be next year before we see it here.

V2 will almost certainly be on the market, according to very solid reports from The Verge and WinCentral. Anyone considering one right now should probably hold off, unless you get one of the Amazon bargains, because October will likely be the release date.

CatInABox wrote: »
    V2 is apparently being revealed in October, but considering how badly they did the first launch, it could be next year before we see it here.

Maybe, but I reckon that now that they have the supply chain in place, and they're not being as cautious about producing larger numbers because they've been able to see the demand. At the very least, they'll likely keep V2 on sale in the UK, which means we'll be able to get it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Some leaked renders of Band 2 from Windowscentral. Also mention in the article it will release in all surface countries at launch.

Band 2

It's a shame the rumoured hardware doesn't include NFC, but maybe it just hasn't leaked. I don't expect those are official renders though, the side view one in particular looks very mocked up.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That's much more like it! Xmas purchase for myself :pac:

If it's got extra functionality, then I might upgrade. I find it comfortable enough as is, and am glad that they've kept the design, I find the fitness focus to be more my style than the others available.

Advertisement